East Coast Mainline Blockade for Werrington Junction diveunder

47 minutes ago, melmerby said:

The herb graden is starting to flourish:D

It will not be long before nature takes over again.

This was the inlet to Werrington Brook a year ago.

853317164_2020-0788.jpg.8cd76c64daa104555512367ba9182c94.jpg

Today it's like this.

DSC_3178.jpg.cad5bbef0736e18e971b8b4df3c2f470.jpg

Brook Drain with the island to the left in July 2020.

190811993_2020-0787.jpg.f5f12a3d4dccec282de272b0ef48d96e.jpg

Today it is like this.

DSC_3182.jpg.5dcca4458fd91712457410669eb61380.jpg

• Like 11

1 hour ago, Welly said:

What's the ID of the 66 propelling the sleeper laying train from Glinton Junction? It must be the first locomotive to enter that section.

66721 Harry Beck

1778483926_2020-1853.jpg.50590540f2946e074502ac0f20134962.jpg

On the rear on arrival was 66777 Annette

1903933028_lincolnroad0428.jpg.4bfd94489bc06ca38a2cc31f8571bff8.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
On 27/06/2021 at 13:18, Crun said:

Trains on the ECML, Laying sleepers at Glinton Junction. A film by Trackside ECML. Is it a bit ahead of the schedule as posted out to local residents?

Somebody please tell me that that white sleeper transferring trolley thing runs on 7'1/4" gauge!

Kev.

(..a long time lurker, on this thread, and still enjoying it immensely. Thanks to all.)

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

I think the inference is that they were forced to by Network Rail to make room for freight services. I have a feeling that that may be whitewash and that there is some pressure from DfT behind it to save money, as they now effectively run LNER.

The comments suggest strongly that except south of Peterborough there is plenty of spare capacity. Can those who know the situation comment?

Jonathan

Edited by corneliuslundie
typos

2 minutes ago, corneliuslundie said:

I think the inference is that they were forced to by Network Rail to make room for freight services. I have a feeling that that may be whitewash and that there is some pressure from DfT behind it to save money, as they now effectively run LNER.

The comments suggest strongly that except south of Peterborough there is plenty of spare capacity. Can those who know the situation comment?

Jonathan

The whole railway is DFT controlled, franchising went last year and everyone is on management contracts until 2023 when GBR commences.

• Agree 1

25 minutes ago, corneliuslundie said:

Jonathan

Now that the railway is nationalised again, I think you can expect the bean counters in the Treasury to be constantly wanting to reduce costs. There'll be ructions when they put a pay pause on salaries. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

6 hours ago, PenrithBeacon said:

Now that the railway is nationalised again, I think you can expect the bean counters in the Treasury to be constantly wanting to reduce costs. There'll be ructions when they put a pay pause on salaries. 

They all ready have.

• Agree 1

20 hours ago, Crun said:

RailFreight.com: UK's East Coast line is full, and rail freight is getting the blame.
https://www.railfreight.com/railfreight/2021/06/25/east-coast-full-its-all-the-fault-of-freight/

A bit mystified by this - what freight?

In daylight hours there's almost nothing goes along the mainline now through Grantham and Newark.

John.

P.S. meant to mention that the lead photo of the 88 is a red herring, being a weekend diversion of the Daventry - Mossend intermodal.

Edited by John Tomlinson
added P.S.
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, John Tomlinson said:

A bit mystified by this - what freight?

In daylight hours there's almost nothing goes along the mainline now through Grantham and Newark.

John.

I've just looked on RTT for today at Newark and only about a dozen freights between 0600 & 2200 and several of those are runs when required only.

There is about another dozen between 2200 & 0600, again many only run when required so hardly a busy freight route.

Even if they all run that is only about one freight per two hours in each direction.

I read the article and IMHO most of it is codswallop and many of those that posted replies thought similarly.

Edited by melmerby
  • Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

3 hours ago, melmerby said:

I've just looked on RTT for today at Newark and only about a dozen freights between 0600 & 2200 and several of those are runs when required only.

There is about another dozen between 2200 & 0600, again many only run when required so hardly a busy freight route.

Even if they all run that is only about one freight per two hours in each direction.

I read the article and IMHO most of it is codswallop and many of those that posted replies thought similarly.

Apologies if the article was all rubbish.

• RMweb Premium

Their track laying looks nearly as good as mine.

OK, I do know that it is a very long lens and they haven't finished fettling it yet.

Really an excuse to say thank you again to the team who are keeping us so well informed of progress on the project.

Jonathan

• Like 1
  • Agree 1