Friday 2nd July

Views east from Lincoln Road bridge. Looks better IMHO:

20210701_133927.jpg

20210702_124623.jpg

20210702_124736.jpg

20210702_124738.jpg

Some spadework:

20210702_124821.jpg

I don't know how big the man is that's going to lift the rail using the handles is the last photo, but if I were to meet him I would be very deferential.:D

• Funny 2

12 hours ago, Donington Road said:

The supports for the old temporary footbridge are being broken up at Lincoln Road.

It would have been nice to have had a railing put around them and the platform used by photograhers videoing trains.:jester:

IMG_8614c.jpg.3ef02799151d6997e0456ba1e7af773f.jpg

IMG_8605c.jpg.8507954fea261a3e8155b110c20846e9.jpg

The one on the Werrington side is still untouched.

IMG_8606c.jpg.0801f15b005bea7655f47e35fad3fe68.jpg

Shame they are going. I can just see you on your plinth Mick!;):kingchris:

• Like 3
  • Funny 2

1 hour ago, Crun said:

Trains Around Werrington Junction in late June. A film by Werrington Junction:

Crun, will you please delete your post of my video.  Videos and photos of normal daily trains going about their business are not relevant to this topic. Thank you.:friends:

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Donington Road said:

Crun, will you please delete your post of my video.  Videos and photos of normal daily trains going about their business are not relevant to this topic. Thank you.:friends:

Sorry. Gone.

• Thanks 1

Sunday 4th July

Views of work on Lincoln Road bridge parapets. Looking towards Glinton:

20210704_101724.jpg

20210704_105144.jpg

20210704_105151.jpg

Looking towards Werrington:

20210704_113555.jpg

20210704_113559.jpg

Edited by Crun
  • Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Crun said:

Views west from Hurn Road:

20210704_102347.jpg

20210704_102350.jpg

It looks as if another batch of rail has been delivered as well. Lovely to see new railway com8ng along.

Thanks yet again to all of you for the photos.

Jamie

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

It looks as if another batch of rail has been delivered as well. Lovely to see new railway com8ng along.

Thanks yet again to all of you for the photos.

Jamie

It is all the rail that was stored on the Joint Line for months.  They started dragging the rails down to the dive under in stages at the end of May, quite a laborious task.  Here is a link to the post where it shows them in the process.

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/110286-east-coast-mainline-blockade-for-werrington-junction-diveunder/&do=findComment&comment=4458969

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

I'm going to show my ignorance now of the tracklaying process.

I thought I had been paying attention throughout but there is something I don't think I have noticed being done, maybe I missed it when the up Stamford was put in place? When the track is laid and new ballast put down there is a point where the track has to be "tensioned" - is that the correct word? - i.e. all those kinks straightened out and pre tensioned to allow for temperature expansion. How exactly is that done? 

Presumably that will not be done on this new section of track until the rest of it, in the dive under, is also laid and connected at the other end?

1 hour ago, highpeakman said:

I'm going to show my ignorance now of the tracklaying process.

I thought I had been paying attention throughout but there is something I don't think I have noticed being done, maybe I missed it when the up Stamford was put in place? When the track is laid and new ballast put down there is a point where the track has to be "tensioned" - is that the correct word? - i.e. all those kinks straightened out and pre tensioned to allow for temperature expansion. How exactly is that done? 

Presumably that will not be done on this new section of track until the rest of it, in the dive under, is also laid and connected at the other end?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8EZ6pEAyLc

Further reading:

https://www.trackopedia.info/encyclopedia/maintenance-of-way/tools-and-small-machines/rail-pulling-devices

https://www.thepwi.org/technical_hub_journal_technical_articles/pwi_journal_october_2017_vol_135_part_4/pwi_journal_1017_vol135_pt4_-_rail_thermal_force_calculations_for_jointed_track-_article_3

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, Donington Road said:

Thank for the links. Very helpful.

But sorry, I should have searched online before asking.

I just wondered if I had missed something on this thread, although I did look back, when it was being done on the up Stamford.

6 minutes ago, highpeakman said:

Thank for the links. Very helpful.

But sorry, I should have searched online before asking.

I just wondered if I had missed something on this thread, although I did look back, when it was being done on the up Stamford.

It is small things like this that tend to get done during nighttime closures when we are all tucked up in bed.

Sometimes interesting aspects of what goes on get missed during the day as well, unless by luck we happen to be there at the right time.  Since a lot of personel around the site have now left the project our sources of information of what was going take place at a particular time have diminished so it is now a game of second guessing what might happen on a particular day.

Even Network Rail's newsletters can be a bit ambiguous at times.  Crun got lucky today photographing the tamper as that was not due come until the 16th July weekend.  Stressing of the rails is due to take place during the week of 16th - 19th July, then again at the end of the month.

Here is the schedule that we have to go on.

scan0001.jpg.a861ca2a93bc0430d54f292184848564.jpg

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 6

Monday 5th July

Views of installed parapet plates on Lincoln Road bridge:

20210705_131012.jpg

20210705_131016.jpg

20210705_131048.jpg

Temporary bridge support nearly gone:

20210705_135604.jpg

Edited by Crun
  • Like 7

Tuesday 6th July

N.B. These three were taken with a DSLR Camera as I dropped my mobile 'phone the previous day. Uploads may be later than before as I struggle with reducing the size of the images to below 10MB. I only have the Nikon software that came with the camera so any advice for other software that might be easier to use would be welcome.

Demolishing the bridge support:

DSC_0415.JPG

Views from Hurn Road:

DSC_0391.JPG.29d45db282040617327568436ac98c9a.JPG

Tell me if  I am wrong, but I get the impression they are adding sheet metal on the road side of the railings to eliminate any horizontal bars for people to climb up and over: 

DSC_0389.JPG

Edited by Crun
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Had a wander today.

Southern temporary bridge support being removed. This is one of two parts to be broken up.

IMG-0042.jpg

Fitting mesh to the bridge sides to stop debris from the road falling on to the tracks below.

IMG-0044.jpg

IMG-0045.jpg

More rail being placed into position leading into the dive under.

IMG-0590.jpg

Looking into the dive under from Cock Lane bridge. Rail has been moved here ready for tracklaying.

IMG-0046.jpg

And looking south from Cock Lane bridge.

IMG-0047.jpg

• Like 11

1 hour ago, Richard E said:

Had a wander today.

More rail being placed into position leading into the dive under.

IMG-0590.jpg

Looking into the dive under from Cock Lane bridge. Rail has been moved here ready for tracklaying.

IMG-0046.jpg

And looking south from Cock Lane bridge.

IMG-0047.jpg

You have caught the first bit of action on the southern ramp for weeks Richard.

To think all that rail has been manhandled from as far as Foxcovert Road.  That has been a lot of labour intensitve work to get it there.

• Like 2
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

Views of broken up concrete; seemingly sorted into before and after piles:

DSC_0429.jpg

DSC_0430.jpg

Still some surveying to be done:

DSC_0447 - Copy.jpg

Edited by Crun
  • Like 5