East Coast Mainline Blockade for Werrington Junction diveunder

• RMweb Gold

Is it likely the up diveunder line will be brought into operation before the down line is installed or will the up be installed and the diveunder up and down lines commence operation together?

• RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, highpeakman said:

Is it likely the up diveunder line will be brought into operation before the down line is installed or will the up be installed and the diveunder up and down lines commence operation together?

I was thinking that.

If they bring that first line into operation first, then that point can be skewed over for use to bring the other line into operation instead of having two points to bring both into use at the same time.

Kev.

38 minutes ago, melmerby said:

At what point to the track clips get pushed into place?

I've watched intently but it seems to have passed me by!

That is a good question.

This may help https://www.pandrol.com/product/clip-driver-cd200-iq/

I have seen those hand operated machines in the link on the site before but never took a lot of notice or knowingly photographed them.

I can only assume the clips are done after the track laying machine has retreated or they follow way behind as laying takes place.  I didn't notice any at the weekend.

5 hours ago, Richard E said:

Just a handful from me today.

A new haul road is being built alongside the brook and in front of where the offices were.

IMG-0059.jpg

IMG-0062.jpg

As far as I know it is an access road for the Environment Agency which joins up with Network Rail's access road near to where Brook Drain goes across the railway between the dive under and Hurn Road.  The small track between the two fields that have the horses in at Hurn Road will be extended further southwards then split between the EA and NR.  Both companies will have their own access gates at the point of the split.

This also suggests to me that there may never be any public access to the east side (railway side) of the new Brook Drain.  Whether public access will be possible down the old track from Hurn Road to near the retention pond remains uncertain.

plan.jpg.c4ff05910aff7e8d7ee49a35e4b6dd1a.jpg

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

46 minutes ago, highpeakman said:

26 minutes ago, SHMD said:

I was thinking that.

If they bring that first line into operation first, then that point can be skewed over for use to bring the other line into operation instead of having two points to bring both into use at the same time.

Kev.

Both being brought into use together is the plan.  The site is not due to be handed over to Network Rail until 1st November, then there will be driver training, so it is unlikely so see trains in service through the dive under this year.

If someone knows differently I stand to be corrected.:good:

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

1 hour ago, melmerby said:

At what point to the track clips get pushed into place?

I've watched intently but it seems to have passed me by!

Hi,

I don't think those machines have the automatic clipping system fitted. I think it will be done later on with a little machine that fits sits over the rail and pushes the clips in and is pushed along by an operator.

Simon

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

Hi I remember my time in the late 50's. Being S & T  if the section was track circuited we was the last to finish. We had to manually drill  two holes at the end of each rail to bond them. The job was done what ever the weather. If you started wet you finished wet. You was there until the job was complete. How things as changed. As I said at the beginning Werrington was my only job on the main line. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, St. Simon said:

Hi,

I don't think those machines have the automatic clipping system fitted. I think it will be done later on with a little machine that fits sits over the rail and pushes the clips in and is pushed along by an operator.

Simon

When the Waverly route was being laid, they clipped every 5th sleeper initially the used the hand operated machines to do the rest before the ballasting got done. There was film of the process around at the time. As farcas I know it all needs to be clipped before tamping starts.

Jamie

1 hour ago, St. Simon said:

Hi,

Simon

33 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

When the Waverly route was being laid, they clipped every 5th sleeper initially the used the hand operated machines to do the rest before the ballasting got done. There was film of the process around at the time. As farcas I know it all needs to be clipped before tamping starts.

Jamie

The clips are put in afterwards by a hand machine that follows the track laying machine.  Now, why didn't I spot that and video it? :angry:

Here is a photo showing it https://www.pandrol.com/product/clip-driver-cd200-iq/

Edited by Donington Road
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Donington Road said:

That is a good question.

This may help https://www.pandrol.com/product/clip-driver-cd200-iq/

I have seen those hand operated machines in the link on the site before but never took a lot of notice or knowingly photographed them.

I can only assume the clips are done after the track laying machine has retreated or they follow way behind as laying takes place.  I didn't notice any at the weekend.

I was wondering whether there would be a tendency for the rail to move under load unless it was at least partly clipped.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, St. Simon said:

Hi,

Simon

1 hour ago, Donington Road said:

The clips are put in afterwards by a hand machine that follows the track laying machine.  Now, why didn't I spot that and video it? :angry:

Here is a photo showing it https://www.pandrol.com/product/clip-driver-cd200-iq/

1 hour ago, melmerby said:

I was wondering whether there would be a tendency for the rail to move under load unless it was at least partly clipped.

I stand corrected.  The hand machine does do some clips but there is also a device on the blue wagon pushing the clips in.

Have a look at Trackside ECML's video at 5.09 minutes in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EezlYAQU280

Look in the bottom left and you will see a hydraulic pusher plate pushing the clips in.

Maybe the hand machine is to do the ones that got missed after they had been knocked out.

I even videoed the clips being pushed in (without noticing what I had done). It wasn't a close up and I didn't bother including the video clip as it was just a general shot of nothing in particular. :stinker::angry:

Edited by Donington Road
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium

From the publicity you linked to:

"whilst also preventing incorrect use of the machine"

Tempting fate or what?

I must admit that it seemed unlikely to me that a hand driven machine would be used for thousands and thousands of clips. Thanks for the explanations.

Jonathan

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Screen grab from the 11th July video (thanks Mick) shows the clips have been pushed into place by the time the sleeper wagons reach them. Logical really as you would otherwise suffer gauge spread and a derailment. You can also see a couple that are not pushed in so they would be done later on.

1308356730_ScreenShot2021-07-13at09_33_03.png.6a188805203312d349e8ba358e0d4bf3.png

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, Jaggzuk said:

Are these Pandrol Fastclip FC type ?

image.png.33c4ef2807949ab3d7cbf88d6c3d0e16.png

Screen grab from your 11th July top down video

https://www.pandrol.com/product/fastclip-fc/

What do you think they are Jagguk?

I am only the videographer, making bold statements about the intricacies of railway operations has got me in a right old muddle lately, as witnessed in the last few posts.

I'll put it down to the recent excitement of unusual equipment coming to our local area.:jester:

I think the above question is a safe one to answer to which I declare, it looks like the one in the picture below!

pand.jpg.186e3488beb1ee37bdd23602182e315f.jpg

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

3 hours ago, corneliuslundie said:

From the publicity you linked to:

"whilst also preventing incorrect use of the machine"

Tempting fate or what?

I must admit that it seemed unlikely to me that a hand driven machine would be used for thousands and thousands of clips. Thanks for the explanations.

Jonathan

I know, talking to Trackside ECML last night we were discussing the same.  It became apparent that some clips get missed being fixed, some get knocked off the sleeper and so on.  So the conclusion was that the hand machine was the backup to fix those clips not done by the machine.  It was then that I went looking for the operation on the machine.  There it was in his video as plain as day.  I went back to my video clips and sure enough there it was as well albeit from a long distance and in shadow, not being a good video clip it didn't make the final version.

It is a bit embarrassing really that such an essential part of the operation has been totally missed on my part.:O

• Informative/Useful 3

3 hours ago, Richard E said:

Screen grab from the 11th July video (thanks Mick) shows the clips have been pushed into place by the time the sleeper wagons reach them. Logical really as you would otherwise suffer gauge spread and a derailment. You can also see a couple that are not pushed in so they would be done later on.

1308356730_ScreenShot2021-07-13at09_33_03.png.6a188805203312d349e8ba358e0d4bf3.png

It is time I calmed down Richard.  I watch my video clips over and over whist putting them together, rendering and publishing and still miss the obvious.

How many times did I look at that end video clip and notice that those clips were holding the rail but didn't connect the fixing of them with the main machine.:scared:

• Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium
59 minutes ago, Donington Road said:

It would actually make an interesting diaorama with the sleeper transfer carraige operating back and forth.

It's a wierd looking thing like 4 legged monster, like a cross between Thunderbirds and War of the Worlds.

Jamie

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
17 hours ago, Donington Road said:

I stand corrected.  The hand machine does do some clips but there is also a device on the blue wagon pushing the clips in.

Have a look at Trackside ECML's video at 5.09 minutes in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EezlYAQU280

Look in the bottom left and you will see a hydraulic pusher plate pushing the clips in.

Maybe the hand machine is to do the ones that got missed after they had been knocked out.

I even videoed the clips being pushed in (without noticing what I had done). It wasn't a close up and I didn't bother including the video clip as it was just a general shot of nothing in particular. :stinker::angry:

Thanks for the link about the clip pusher.

I was looking at the video on a large screen and I managed to miss it first time around!

Once seen it becomes obvious.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Donington Road said:

It would actually make an interesting diaorama with the sleeper transfer carraige operating back and forth.

I hadn't noticed until the close ups that it has a driver.

I assumed it was automatic.:scratchhead:

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Donington Road said:

A bone shaking ride too and hardly first class comfort.:declare:

There are hidden operators everywhere!

The "driver" following the orange line

image.png.5053cc43e7dedfb6db063b077483764d.png

The sleeper delivery unit, has a driver

image.png.55506786e5edad601aacfec27487ec8e.png

Then this person underneath, I guess has somehting to do with the rail placement.

image.png.dfead063e385a1b4bb5d63d2c65f6697.png

Then there are the opertaive walking along the side with remote controls

• Like 9