East Coast Mainline Blockade for Werrington Junction diveunder

Not sure what is going on at Walton with the new access.  There are utility cables and pipes everywhere.  Perhaps they are being redirected away from the area so that heavy plant does not damage them in the future.  Whatever is going on it is taking an awful long time to get it done.

IMG_9275c.jpg.f9340de613a6663ac8566273914280e8.jpg

IMG_9277c.jpg.0a09ee9faeff0a0ed87abba4ab9824de.jpg

And finally a photo of the new spillway at Cock Lane from ground level.  The weeds and undergrowth is getting a right old mess around there now.

IMG_9278c.jpg.2baac6883350b570454da66d6ad2ce3f.jpg

Edited by Donington Road
  • Like 13

I shared a link to my Google Drive for the panoramic photo on the last page.  I cannot remember if I have shared that link before but there are a lot of other photos and articles there as well.

The photos which are published here on RMweb are resized and are only a fraction of the original file size and generally do not enlarge very well.  The originals on Google Drive when downloaded will enlarge in size.

I must also update the photo section as I have forgotton to do it for awhile.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1-A1162n04x6xDXVyuQbf-am4O8ps52qy

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• RMweb Premium

Damn, missed you today. I too was out and about.

First of all at Lincoln Road they now have permanent bollards and gate posts installed.

IMG-0096.jpg

On the old Hurn Road access.

IMG-0097.jpg

And the spoil at Hurn Road is also being removed.

IMG-0098.jpg

A view across what can be seen of the site from Hurn Road footbridge.

IMG-0099.jpg

And the path alongside the field at Hurn Road footbridge links with the EA access road.

IMG-0100.jpg

And a view looking south on the west side of the ECML.

IMG-0101.jpg

Back at Lincoln Road it looks as if the up line has been stressed now, nice fresh welds and a sleeper marked "Pull Point".

IMG-0637.jpg

Finally down to Cock Lane the spillway from a slightly higher viewpoint.

IMG-0102.jpg

Looking south along the dive under lines the AWS ramp on the down line is visible at the bottom of the frame.

IMG-0638.jpg

Looking north the AWS ramp is, again, visible. The ballast on the up line is quite deep and covers the sleepers fully as well as just about anything else within 10' or so of the outer rail, the nice walkway by the telephone cabinet for the signal is buried in ballast.

IMG-0639.jpg

And just past the signal in the dive under ramp on the down line there appears to be an axle counter or similar.

IMG-0640.jpg

• Like 15
  • Informative/Useful 1

39 minutes ago, Richard E said:

Damn, missed you today. I too was out and about.

Shame I missed you Richard.  I only tend come out when the sun shines in the afternoon and evening.:good:

First of all at Lincoln Road they now have permanent bollards and gate posts installed.

IMG-0096.jpg

Too much space to the right of the bollard.  Those tin tents of a certain community will easily circumnavigate that gap.:rolleyes:

And the spoil at Hurn Road is also being removed.

IMG-0098.jpg

There is still quite a bit of spoil in there when you can see beyond all the weeds.

Back at Lincoln Road it looks as if the up line has been stressed now, nice fresh welds and a sleeper marked "Pull Point".

IMG-0637.jpg

All the stressing and tamping should have been completed by the 6th August.  I think they are still doing it.

There was a chap walking the length this afternoon with a measuring wheel on the rail.

Looking north the AWS ramp is, again, visible. The ballast on the up line is quite deep and covers the sleepers fully as well as just about anything else within 10' or so of the outer rail, the nice walkway by the telephone cabinet for the signal is buried in ballast.

IMG-0639.jpg

We too have been remarking on the amount of ballast covering everything.  When you look at the Up and Down Stamford Lines they also seem to have excess ballast, especially over the sleepers in the four foot.

And just past the signal in the dive under ramp on the down line there appears to be an axle counter or similar.

IMG-0640.jpg

The covers where off the Down Line signal today, possibly testing it.  Still no numbers on the the other signals apart from the one entering the north portal.

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Richard E said:

IMG-0096.jpg

Too much gap.

The ne'er do wells will be through that space without a problem.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium

Interesting on two counts.

First, looking out this side of the train one might well not recognise the underpass as all one really sees is some walls and then two tracks roughly at the same level as the fasts.

Secondly, I had forgotten that there are still quite a few level crossings on this high speed route.

Jonathan

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Peterborough to Lincoln Central via the Great Northern & Great Eastern Joint Line. A film by RailMart. 

"Todays trip is from 4 years ago. We depart Peterborough heading North to Werrington Junction where we diverge right on to the GN & GE Joint line for a run across the flat lands of Lincolnshire via Spalding and the Sleaford avoider to The Cathedral City of Lincoln."

Interesting  to compare this old film with how the journey has changed in the years between then and now:

Edited by Crun
  • Like 2

An answer to my question in bold below;

Dear Christopher ****,

Thank you for contacting us to request information about the Werrington grade separation project.

Your request was passed to the project team and they have responded to say that all works are due to be completed by Christmas 2021.

The major works to the railway corridor and the operation to remove excavated material (which has seen an increase in the number of lorries) are winding down over the next month.

There will still be minor works and landscaping works throughout autumn prior to the end of the project.

I hope that you find this information helpful.

Kind Regards

Sharon Neil

Network Rail

Customer By CSS Web (Christopher ****) (30/07/2021 07.54 PM)

Could you please provide me with a timetable for the completion of the dive-under at Werrington Junction?

Regards,
Chris ****

Edited by Crun
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, PenrithBeacon said:

Not sure you can paint over all that rust! 

You can use phosphoric(?) acid based coverings which convert the oxides to something less "rusty"

Once done you can recoat with proper paint finishes.

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Crun said:

Views from Cock Lane bridge. Some kind of device attached to the track:

20210815_143853.jpg

20210815_143841.jpg

I think it might be a "spider plate", used for equipotential bonding in electrified areas. To keep exposed metal work at the same potential. Keeps staff safe from harmful differential voltages if two different metal objects are touched. 

• Informative/Useful 7