East Coast Mainline Blockade for Werrington Junction diveunder

3 hours ago, Richard E said:

I'm at 14m above mean sea level despite being just 250m from the Nene. I could be looking at a nice tidal river view though.

We could string a cable car between our two mountains and have scenic rides viewing the ECML from the station to Werrington, with a bit of the NVR thrown in for good measure.:jester:

• Agree 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, MGNorthern said:

It's been a while since I've been down but it was all quiet on site today apart from some work at the Foxcovert end of the site.

Those drone shots are superb.

It really shows how the diveunder fits into the whole scheme of things.

• Like 1
  • Agree 7

Some new fencing at Lincoln Road.

The Armco fence has been completed along the top of the embankment next to the access road to Glinton Junction.

IMG_9807c.jpg.e53f6d34ad3c54a30045894c0b6cbb28.jpg

Green fencing at the end of the field next to Lincoln Road.

IMG_9808c.jpg.5e5632ece2bf49824613c9b293892c54.jpg

Yesterdays (2021-09-15) state of Lincoln Road, the trees alongside the footpath are about to get a haircut.

IMG_9809c.jpg.6eba90b93b42e59ff9b2901b0b9a81a1.jpg

Today (2021-09-16), shiny new fencing.

IMG_9822c.jpg.9a318618e0925c2b00f56196b1c86931.jpg

IMG_9819c.jpg.cf8b676710e04286b11c14058170359b.jpg

New gates at Lincoln Road for the access to Glinton Junction.

IMG_9838c.jpg.1a17192894a23b3d1b09f41159eb6582.jpg

From the gates towards the new bridge they have dug a trench to fit the rest of the posts for the galvanised steel fencing when the other wooden posts are removed.

IMG_9845c.jpg.4ed3476f6bf8d7239e37250df514fd1a.jpg

Instead of digging a trench all the way along to the bridge they took the easy option here by leaving the tree roots in place, then cutting the bottom of the fence to suit.  It is like this in quite a few places.

IMG_9832c.jpg.2694ca297ab870b0ac858c8577195dfa.jpg

Edited by Donington Road
  • Like 9

New access to the dive under at Hurn Road.

The old access (below) to the relay room next to Hurn Road footbridge is according to local sources being closed off.

IMG_9861c.jpg.6d1354b13adc3bcab6608277701e720a.jpg

IMG_9864c.jpg.d18f6be0e419d53b23562d5fd7f68fcf.jpg

The new permanent access being created at Hurn Road is next to Book Drain North as it is said that it wll follow along the side of the drain to the dive under.

IMG_9850c.jpg.0ba6fb784dad21716678020242ad98f5.jpg

IMG_9851c.jpg.b47a80f6020bb32ae4bc4dd41a99d9af.jpg

IMG_9852c.jpg.b0f69d09fdc7ab10b79531b449993f15.jpg

I am standing over Brook Drain (the rusty railings) on the right which flows under Hurn Road on is journey passed Glinton to join the Folly River at Peakirk.

IMG_9858c.jpg.2170e5f4c352845e43b60b31b3035a52.jpg

• Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 1

2 minutes ago, ess1uk said:

As long as we can drive to the mast and relay room and turn round to get out it will be better than it is at present 

i would have thought that creating a turning space at the dive under end to drive out would be a priority on safety grounds.

Closing the existing entrance would also free up space for a new footbridge at Hurn Road, something that is desperately needed IMO.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Just to say Thanks for all of your photos and reporting on this subject. Most interesting and I have enjoyed following this thread with the reports from all of the contributors.

It does look like you can drive past that gate and bollard on Lincoln Road by just driving half on the pavement so makes me wonder on the point of the gate. Perhaps the photo doesn't give the correct impression of widths?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, highpeakman said:

Just to say Thanks for all of your photos and reporting on this subject. Most interesting and I have enjoyed following this thread with the reports from all of the contributors.

It has been a pleasure doing this.  Something interesting like this on your own doorstep doesn't happen everyday and the input from Richard and Crun plus my good friend Trackside ECML has also been welcome when I have not been able to get out.

2 hours ago, highpeakman said:

It does look like you can drive past that gate and bollard on Lincoln Road by just driving half on the pavement so makes me wonder on the point of the gate. Perhaps the photo doesn't give the correct impression of widths?

With the new fencing being set back a few more inches from the pavement and the bushes having been cut back it is possible to drive through on the pavement.  Nobody would do that, would they?  Something will have to be done to restrict the width which may be a job the City Council has to do, althought the new bollard has been reinstated too far from the edge of the pavement compared to the original one.

The original bollard and the mark on the road for the gate post to the right of it.

1472436806_2020-1301.jpg.989d7c653666d9f88f99cbb0bff3e708.jpg

The position of the new bollard.

1655163460_lincolnroad0466.jpg.742ee44bb5ee950f5bf96b2bbe3eabd3.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

8 hours ago, Donington Road said:

It has been a pleasure doing this.  Something interesting like this on your own doorstep doesn't happen everyday and the input from Richard and Crun plus my good friend Trackside ECML has also been welcome when I have not been able to get out.

With the new fencing being set back a few more inches from the pavement and the bushes having been cut back it is possible to drive through on the pavement.  Nobody would do that, would they?  Something will have to be done to restrict the width which may be a job the City Council has to do, althought the new bollard has been reinstated too far from the edge of the pavement compared to the original one.

The original bollard and the mark on the road for the gate post to the right of it.

1472436806_2020-1301.jpg.989d7c653666d9f88f99cbb0bff3e708.jpg

The position of the new bollard.

1655163460_lincolnroad0466.jpg.742ee44bb5ee950f5bf96b2bbe3eabd3.jpg

Needs another bollard between the kerb and the trench in the footway.

CJI.

• Agree 1

This was posted on another forum:

"I'm looking forward to the day that I can get a train in both directions booked to use the dive under even if it's just a stopping service like Peterborough to Lincoln.

Thanks for the various videos though"

I replied:

"I thought it was strictly goods trains only that were to use the dive under. There may be a special passenger excursion some time after it is open for use some time around December this year."

He responded with:

"There's no reason why the Lincoln to Peterborough services can't use the diver under and use Platforms 4 to 7 at Peterborough together with the existing bi directional Up Slow between Werrington Junction and Platforms 1 and 2 at Peterborough.

Indeed there's two services that could use the dive under on a weekday; 18:35 Lincoln to Peterborough which at the moment is booked to use Platform 2B which upon arrival at Peterborough forms the 20:12 Peterborough to Nottingham via Stamford and Leicester which if it was diverted to use the diver under instead and be booked to use Platform 7 instead, this would mean no conflict with the 18:45 Leeds to Kings Cross or the 19:27 Kings Cross to Sunderland as they only need to be a minute late and it impacts onto a late departure for the 20:12 Peterborough to Nottingham.

Especially as there is nothing booked to use Platform 7 so it could easily be fitted there without any additional work being done, also there's no reason why diverted passenger trains can't use it either eg LNER, Lumos, Grand Central, Hull Trains etc..."

Is he right or wrong?

Edited by Crun
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

When I asked NR about passenger use at the last visit to the dive under they said that there is no plan for passenger services to use it on booked journeys, it might be used by diverted services however. They also have no knowledge of any scheduled passenger specials before it opens to freight traffic in December.

Another point, not often considered by armchair 'route experts' is that passenger use would require route knowledge by the TOC drivers and that is costly. Diverted services can, of course, use a freight driver to pilot the train through if required.

Edited by Richard E
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, Richard E said:

When I asked NR about passenger use at the last visit to the dive under they said that there is no plan for passenger services to use it on booked journeys, it might be used by diverted services however. They also have no knowledge of any scheduled passenger specials before it opens to freight traffic in December.

What is the planned usage may of course change, if a need arises to use the diveunder for passenger trains.

We only know, or have been told, there are no plans for passenger trains when it opens.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

Shades of a bit in Gerry Fiennes' autobiography when they electrified and resignalled Liverpool Street. Roughly,

Driver" "I don't know the new signalling. I need a pilot"

Response; Neither does anyone else. Just get on with it."

I can imagine the HSE liking that these days.

But a good question.

Jonathan

3 hours ago, Richard E said:

Another point, not often considered by armchair 'route experts' is that passenger use would require route knowledge by the TOC drivers and that is costly. Diverted services can, of course, use a freight driver to pilot the train through if required.

A response by another person on the same thread:

"There's no real advantage to a planned passenger service using it - as it is the Spalding Dogbox keeps itself nice and reasonably contained on the Up Slow into Platform 1 and 2.

Sending it via the Dive Under gets it tangled up on the Stamford lines with everything else."