East Coast Mainline Blockade for Werrington Junction diveunder

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, ess1uk said:

How do drivers get route knowledge on a new line? 
apart from some track laying machines and tampers, what has actually driven through?

guess it will be simulated?

Short sections (can't remember the criteria, but this might well be within it) can be 'learnt' by watching a video.

• Informative/Useful 1

7 hours ago, 31A said:

Short sections (can't remember the criteria, but this might well be within it) can be 'learnt' by watching a video.

But nothing has driven through any of the new junctions and new signals yet so there will be no video?

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, ess1uk said:

But nothing has driven through any of the new junctions and new signals yet so there will be no video?

Good point!  But I suppose there would be a way of making one (Network Rail test train or Road Rail Vehicle under possession?)

14 hours ago, ess1uk said:

How do drivers get route knowledge on a new line? 
apart from some track laying machines and tampers, what has actually driven through?

guess it will be simulated?

Hi,

They’ll probably use a video created from the BIM (Building Information Modelling) 3D Model used for design, along with a small booklet with screen shots from the model.

Simon

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

They might even create the area in a train simulation program (not MSTS but something a bit more "professional"). I think I have seen that used in the past for driver training.

Jonathan

Edit: Simon beat me to it.

Edited by corneliuslundie
added note
  • Agree 1

24 minutes ago, ess1uk said:

so basically run the train simulator for the Driver Trainers and then they pilot the first few trains through the junction?

Hi,

Effectively yes, although it is worth pointing out that the BIM model is not a train simulator (it doesn't have trains in it for instance!) it is a 1:1 scale 3D virtual version of the project area used to co-ordinate all the designs (except for signalling, sort of) and ensure no clashes happen during construction.

All they'll do for a driver training run is position a virtual camera at where the driver eye line would be (i.e, not show a train cab) and drive it down the tracks at a suitable speed for commentary / learning. It wouldn't show the aspect changes or realistic speeds, just a 'fly through' of the new area.

We are currently looking at using the BIM data to insert into a TOC simulator for driveability assessment, but that is a little way off.

Simon

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Premium
36 minutes ago, Crun said:

Views at the bottom of Hurn Road around the bridge:

20210921_131627.jpg

20210921_131632.jpg

Now that is a shame as the bushes there were very popular with the local wild birds.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Going back to driver training, route knowledge & passenger use of the dive under-surely it's in the TOC'S interest to have train crew passed out on the dive under, as it gives them & NR maximum operating flexibility?

• RMweb Premium

The problem with that is that to keep that route knowledge valid they have to use it regularly. This is why, for example, some Sheffield trains take the alternative route north of Chesterfield and arrive at Sheffield from the other direction. I am sure that there are a lot more examples.

Jonathan

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, corneliuslundie said:

The problem with that is that to keep that route knowledge valid they have to use it regularly. This is why, for example, some Sheffield trains take the alternative route north of Chesterfield and arrive at Sheffield from the other direction. I am sure that there are a lot more examples.

Jonathan

Many of these are diagrammed in once a week so drivers all keep the routecon their route cards. Two thatvI can think of are Cross country using the ex GC line north from Aldwarke and on the South Western.the junctions at Weybridge that give access via Staines to the Windsor lines.

Jamie

51 minutes ago, corneliuslundie said:

Jonathan

This is just what LNER where doing today.  Running from Doncaster to Peterborough and back on the Joint.

IMG_9913c.JPG.a7c123636898c0ae8367c93d30f2df9e.JPG

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

A handful of shots today!

Work going on fitting the handrails to the new steps between the dive under and the joint line. It's not a good picture I'm afraid.

IMG-0483.jpg

Moving on this field was full of spoil, it is almost back to normal, it's just north of Hurn Road.

IMG-0484.jpg

IMG-0486.jpg

IMG-0487.jpg

Looks like they are close to reinstating the original road surface instead of the lorry crossing.

IMG-0485.jpg

In the distance we have a 5 car Azuma on the joint line.

IMG-0489.jpg

And the work continues on the footbridge area at Hurn Road. It almost looks as if they are going to move the footbridge steps across but thinking about it that seems rather unlikely.

IMG-0490.jpg

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 1

A total of £350,000 will be given by Cambridgeshire and Peterborough Combined Authority (CPCA) to move forward plans for a revamped Station Quarter - land surrounding Peterborough Railway Station

https://www.networkrailmediacentre.co.uk/news/a-total-of-gbp-350-000-will-be-given-by-cambridgeshire-and-peterborough-combined-authority-cpca-to-move-forward-plans-for-a-revamped-station-quarter-land-surrounding-peterborough-railway-station

Edited by Crun

On 17/09/2021 at 13:46, Donington Road said:

Something interesting like this on your own doorstep doesn't happen everyday.

Agreed. It's also got to be one of the most expensive infrastructure projects ever seen in Peterborough. I haven't been really been posting, as I can't better what's already here but I've been following this thread from the start and it's been great following the updates. I used to walk the dog under the A15 and along Hurn Road long before all this started so seen a lot of change over the past few years.

With the new fencing being set back a few more inches from the pavement and the bushes having been cut back it is possible to drive through on the pavement.  Nobody would do that, would they? 

This is Peterborough, it's almost guaranteed... :chok_mini: True to human nature I noticed a lot of people have been walking over that piece of grass as well.

bridge.jpg.d2ba18baf61997f21ac1441a5ab422f3.jpg

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, MGNorthern said:

Agreed. It's also got to be one of the most expensive infrastructure projects ever seen in Peterborough. I haven't been really been posting, as I can't better what's already here but I've been following this thread from the start and it's been great following the updates. I used to walk the dog under the A15 and along Hurn Road long before all this started so seen a lot of change over the past few years.

This is Peterborough, it's almost guaranteed... :chok_mini: True to human nature I noticed a lot of people have been walking over that piece of grass as well.

One has to ask - what is it doing there in the first place?

Wh is ever going to maintain it?

Thoughtless design, IMHO.

CJI.

• Agree 1

53 minutes ago, MGNorthern said:

The new pavement and road is a bad design IMO.

The old footpath coming from the Glinton direction was continuous to the footpath going down to Davids Close.  The present layout forces pedestrians, often with small children and pushchairs off the footpath near the grassed area and into the road, which at that point has no dropped kerb and where some inconsiderate cyclists are going at speed down the long slope.  An accident waiting to happen.

The narrow footpath from Lincoln Road to Davids Close needs to be made wider to cater for both cyclists and pedestrians, with a raised section for pedestrians.  The raised section can then be connected to the old bridge and the footpath made continuous across the two bridges by removing all the grassed areas and strips of pyramid paving.  A short angled barrier between the pedestrian part and cycle part at the junction of Davids Close/Lincoln Road bridge would direct the cyclists to the road and pedestrians to the footpath.  Although I think this would be better, there is still the issue of the very dangerous drop from the high footpath across the bridges.

Another solution would be to raise the road surface so that it is at a normal height to the adjacent footpath.  This could be done by closing the present narrow path to Davids Close and extending the road and footpath 50 to 100 metres further down the old Lincoln Road to join Davids Close.  Extending the length of the road would make the incline of building up the road surface less obtrusive.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1