East Coast Mainline Blockade for Werrington Junction diveunder

I don't put my Trains Around Werrington Junction videos on here as they are a bit off topic to the subject under discussion.

But on the latest one I have done there are a couple of clips mid way through the video of freight using the new lines at Glinton Junction to Lincoln Road on Tuesday if anyone is interested.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQB4DHBxbQw

Edited by Donington Road
  • Like 5

Opportunity for trainspotters as rare locomotive to pass through Peterborough this week 

https://www.peterboroughtoday.co.uk/news/people/opportunity-for-trainspotters-as-rare-locomotive-to-pass-through-peterborough-this-week-3477370

One to look out for tomorrow morning perhaps?

Edited by Crun

5 minutes ago, Crun said:

Opportunity for trainspotters as rare locomotive to pass through Peterborough this week 

https://www.peterboroughtoday.co.uk/news/people/opportunity-for-trainspotters-as-rare-locomotive-to-pass-through-peterborough-this-week-3477370

Does anyone know if it will be using the ECML or the GNGE?

Stamford towards Brum?

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

At least you'll be getting a premier pacific through Peterborough.

Joking aside can I say how good it is to see the diveunder in operation after all the work.  Also to give a great big thanks to  all of you who have kept this thread updated so that readers can follow the progress of this project.  I did see some of the early works in 2019 but haven't been able to get over since.   Following the work on hear has been very interesting.

Thanks again.

Jamie

• Like 3
  • Agree 7

53 minutes ago, KingEdwardII said:

So are we going to get cases of delays caused by "newts on the line"  :D

They are all safely living in new premises in ponds and refuges built a few years ago...

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, Donington Road said:

I don't put my Trains Around Werrington Junction videos on here as they are a bit off topic to the subject under discussion.

But on the latest one I have done there are a couple of clips mid way through the video of freight using the new lines at Glinton Junction to Lincoln Road on Tuesday if anyone is interested.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQB4DHBxbQw

Very interesting to see but I was a bit surprised to see that many of the freight trains don't seem to be using the dive under route. Will that change?

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, highpeakman said:

Very interesting to see but I was a bit surprised to see that many of the freight trains don't seem to be using the dive under route. Will that change?

The next timetable change is 5th December. I'd expect this or, possibly, the first change next year (May I think) to see the Dive Under come into full use.

22 minutes ago, highpeakman said:

it only entered into service a couple of days ago.

i'm sure that it will get busier in the next few days

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, Richard E said:

The next timetable change is 5th December. I'd expect this or, possibly, the first change next year (May I think) to see the Dive Under come into full use.

Do they need to allow the track & trackbed to bed in for a while, before allowing full use?

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
38 minutes ago, highpeakman said:

Maybe not enough drivers have "signed the route" yet to allow all freights to route that way. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

1 hour ago, highpeakman said:

Also, some of the container trains are booked for a long layover in the up side yards at Peterborough, inaccessible via the diverunder.

e.g. this Tinsley-Felixstowe:

https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/service/gb-nr:H00650/2021-11-30/detailed

or this Masboro-Felixstowe:

https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/service/gb-nr:H12558/2021-12-01/detailed#allox_id=0

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, eastwestdivide said:

Also, some of the container trains are booked for a long layover in the up side yards at Peterborough, inaccessible via the diverunder.

I think you will find that they can access the dive under by the New England Junctions but there is no point crossing the ECML to do so.

If you are southbound from Spalding you go straight into the yards without a conflict using the bi-directional up slow but would need to cross the ECML via the junction (Spital?) just north of the station to access the line to Ely.

If going northbound the reverse would apply

Edited by melmerby
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, melmerby said:

I think you will find that they can access the dive under by the New England Junctions but there is no point crossing the ECML to do so.

Fair enough - as you say, no point in going diveunder to W side, cross to E side, lay over, cross to W side again.

I have just returned from an out and back bike ride to the west of Peterborough. I used the Cock Lane bridge at 11:15 and then at 15:15. Nothing was seen to use the dive-under during either visit. I did meet Andrew Winch again and we had a chat about the best times to be there. I will go back there tomorrow at just after 13:00 and try my luck again.

Edited by Crun

• RMweb Premium

Judging by the signal diagrams website the dive under closed briefly around 17:00 but is open again. Certainly seen some traffic through there today. 4E20 certainly used it. 4E43 is on the down dive under line now.

As i write this signal 490 on the up dive under line has just gone to 'out of use', it looks as if they might be having some teething issues.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, Richard E said:

Judging by the signal diagrams website the dive under closed briefly around 17:00 but is open again. Certainly seen some traffic through there today. 4E20 certainly used it. 4E43 is on the down dive under line now.

As i write this signal 490 on the up dive under line has just gone to 'out of use', it looks as if they might be having some teething issues.

Richard,

Which 'signal diagrams' website specifically are you looking at please?

Ian.

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, iands said:

Richard,

Which 'signal diagrams' website specifically are you looking at please?

Ian.

I assume Railcam UK (members only page)

Open Train Times map hasn't been updated, so not them, neither has Traksy

Possibly this: https://signalmaps.co.uk/#peterborough:946

Edited by melmerby
  • Like 1