East Coast Mainline Blockade for Werrington Junction diveunder

Sunday 23rd May. Both ends of the temporary Lincoln Road bridge now closed in preparation for it being dismantled:

20210523_103149.jpg

20210523_103336.jpg

Edited by Crun
  • Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 2

5 hours ago, rockershovel said:

The former Peterborough to Spalding line included stations at Peakirk, *St James Deeping and Littleworth, all closed in 1970. Littleworth was considered for reopening, but a report (published 2016) dismissed this as not cost-effective due to requiring a car park and crossing bridge.

*Deeping St James

55 minutes ago, Crun said:

*Deeping St James

I did wonder about that, seeing as the village is Deeping St James as you say... but I assumed it was a misprint, or just lack of research. That, or just variants in spelling, like the Longueville/Longville Junction thing. I see someone else has come up with slightly different closure dates. 

The gist of it seems to be that there were formerly other stations between Peterborough and Spalding, they were closed in BR days and one of them was recently considered for reopening, but this wasn't followed up. 

1 hour ago, Crun said:

*Deeping St James

32 minutes ago, rockershovel said:

I did wonder about that, seeing as the village is Deeping St James as you say... but I assumed it was a misprint, or just lack of research. That, or just variants in spelling, like the Longueville/Longville Junction thing. I see someone else has come up with slightly different closure dates. 

The gist of it seems to be that there were formerly other stations between Peterborough and Spalding, they were closed in BR days and one of them was recently considered for reopening, but this wasn't followed up. 

It was originally named as Crowland and St. James Deeping from September 1850 to January 1851.

The name changed from then on to just, St. James Deeping until closure.

Edited by Donington Road
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium
20 hours ago, Donington Road said:

On to Hurn Road and not much to report or see diffeent from the photos Crun posted a few days back.

The concrete tunnel sections are still there but I did notice the new water valves in the background.

IMG_8041c.jpg.874c98554c81007f0db7669e4093c8ac.jpg

IMG_8041cc.jpg.137dd16672d4215f19b420220aae229a.jpg

These short lengths of rail have appeared recently.  Perhaps there is a clean up going on.

IMG_8042c.jpg.97a46bb713a72b1f2bc87b42b68c7925.jpg

To round off today my good friend Trackside ECML paid a visit to Cock Lane and sent these photos.

The fleet of lorries used for carrying away the spoil parked up for the weekend.

DSC_2445.jpg.290700ef7aa042ac58269f5ae818da08.jpg

DSC_2416.jpg.54346996b59cc2d9da7554f62e858d7e.jpg

DSC_2418.jpg.e95ba6edf9820e2661c516607f1f09b8.jpg

The spoil heap in the middle distance has really diminished in the last few weeks.

DSC_2448c.jpg.d083f643d978dca18fda1fde64a5924e.jpg

Wooden fencing starting to be erected on the west side of Cock Lane footbridge.

DSC_2440.jpg.c9571554aac6dfbf214c4c596f352fda.jpg

DSC_2430.jpg.a8f031cf228f0490180d3c1ee34c63ec.jpg

Thanks for the update, some nice pictures there. I'd suggest the connector boxes are for the point heaters.

I pictured and commented on the water valves a few days ago so probably a couple of pages back.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Crun said:

Views of the new railings:

20210524_194720.jpg

20210524_194726.jpg

I see you were dodging the heavy showers tonight to get the photos, thanks for them.  At least the A15 bridge is a useful rain shelter:declare:

It all looks a bit bare around the temporary footbridge now the fencing has been removed.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Donington Road said:

I see you were dodging the heavy showers tonight to get the photos, thanks for them.  At least the A15 bridge is a useful rain shelter:declare:

It all looks a bit bare around the temporary footbridge now the fencing has been removed.

Hail and rain shower. Had to use the tumble drier when I got home...

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Crun said:

Views of some kind of censor on the lowest wall of the Lincoln Road bridge facing west:

20210524_195630.jpg

It's one of these:

https://www.sccssurvey.co.uk/leica-gpr1-circular-prism.html

Mounted in one of these:

https://www.sccssurvey.co.uk/gph1-single-prism-holder.html

Maybe someone could let us know what it is for:scratchhead:

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

The Leica Prism (there are other products/manufactures out there) is used to co-ordinate a Total Station which used for engineering survey and setting out.  The prism is at a known co-ordinated point with x, y and z position and is used by a Total Station to reference known points.

https://leica-geosystems.com/en-gb/products/total-stations

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Premium

An update from me today. Purely looking around the Lincoln Road bridges though.

I'll kick off with a view towards the eastern portal of the box - that land bridge definitely looks smaller to me.

IMG-0217.jpg

Next, at Lincoln Road, the footpath to the temporary bridge has gone and they are restoring the soil levels to somewhere near ideal for the new landscape here.

IMG-9953.jpg

There is quite a big step up to the level of the bridge deck already.

IMG-0220.jpg

IMG-9957.jpg

IMG-9958.jpg

As for the concrete base on the new trackbed, that is for a temporary support tower whilst the bridge is dismantled. It is only on plastic sheeting on top of the ballast. Most of the ruts in the ballast are gone, it has all been graded and rolled again.

IMG-9951.jpg

IMG-9960.jpg

And they were building more of the tower whilst I was there. Note that the railings have already been unbolted on this part.

IMG-9952.jpg

And a final view along the Bailey Bridge.

IMG-9961.jpg

Then a lot of pictures of the new pallisade fencing - sadly, as some feared, the view from the bridle path isn't going to be that great. We can also see why the fence is so high, it is so that it matches the acoustic panels under the bridge.

IMG-0218.jpg

IMG-9956.jpg

IMG-9955.jpg

IMG-9959.jpg

And some more rail and post timber fencing is being put up as well.

IMG-9954.jpg

And that's it from me for now ...

• Like 12
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

34 minutes ago, ess1uk said:

why is it being censored?

My mistake! I should have written sensor.

Definition of sensor

1: a device that responds to a physical stimulus (such as heat, light, sound, pressure, magnetism, or a particular motion) and transmits a resulting impulse (as for measurement or operating a control)

Edited by Crun
  • Like 2

Some photos taken this evening by my friend Trackside ECML of the new access at Walton.

Progress there seems very slow.  The only addition from the photos I took five weeks ago is the installation of the gates.

DSC_2534.jpg.750370cebafef19c4e25e2aa5ead13cd.jpg

DSC_2535.jpg.454d69749c5a844e96c4f49f17b77025.jpg

DSC_2536.jpg.c22e3138eca52bc20f26957e67addc4f.jpg

DSC_2537.jpg.d9e5ce447a0bd40f9e0a0cfb6c3eb118.jpg

DSC_2540.jpg.8d12e4c294343e7a348c32b807f753e5.jpg

DSC_2541.jpg.9cf9dfe9d4767c6698426e583c97bd10.jpg

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 26/05/2021 at 11:27, Crun said:

My mistake! I should have written sensor.

Definition of sensor

1: a device that responds to a physical stimulus (such as heat, light, sound, pressure, magnetism, or a particular motion) and transmits a resulting impulse (as for measurement or operating a control)

It isn't a sensor, rather a glass prism which reflects a beam transmitted from the Total Station. 

This might seem an arcane distinction, but it means it is an entirely passive system - it doesn't transmit anything, nor does it respond in any way.

• Informative/Useful 3

There was much discussion about the recovery and disposal of the sacrificial tunnel segments. They are expensive items composed of very high strength concrete, and damaged ones have all sorts of end uses, from being cast in as sumps in temporary shaft bases to river defences, or as temporary bumpers on site haul roads. These ones don't look fit for much, but with the rapidly increasing demand for construction materials of almost every description from HS2 combined with the constrictions in the supply chain caused by Covid-19, I wouldn't be surprised if some use were made of them. 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 5

On 23/05/2021 at 12:35, caradoc said:

When (if) we have a heatwave NR will need to keep a careful eye on those lengths of rail stored in the four foot before they expand and cause TC failures (bitter experience speaking here). Thanks for all the great photos BTW. 

Loose CWR left in the 4' can also move along the track due to the vibrations of passing trains, often in the opposite direction to the trains. This movement is slow but very powerful I have seen a rail that cut an inch deep groove through a softwood sleeper, and several cables and TPWS boot scrapers that looked rather upset by the rails attentions.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 4