East Coast Mainline Blockade for Werrington Junction diveunder

5 hours ago, Richard E said:

Ah, that tells me how they are removing at least part of the bridge, it will be run back onto the field to the north over the rollers put in place. Despite appearances the bridge is very stiff vertically when in a cantilever situation and can carry it's own weight easily.

Another section has been bolted on to the end of the bridge (left of the concrete plinth) since it was closed.

According to local sources the bridge was pushed into place with a bulldozer so sliding off looks like the method of removal too.

image.png.edfb0baac60f572221d55153e98939cb.png

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Premium

The new section may well be inclined. When these bridges are launched into position they have a sort of ramp at the free end which is then removed. I'm sure that any ex Royal Engineers could give the proper title. I remember seeing it done on the temporary bridge at Workington and again at Tadcaster

Jamie

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

The new section may well be inclined. When these bridges are launched into position they have a sort of ramp at the free end which is then removed. I'm sure that any ex Royal Engineers could give the proper title. I remember seeing it done on the temporary bridge at Workington and again at Tadcaster

Jamie

Proper title - launching nose.

CJI.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

13 hours ago, Donington Road said:

It is probably the lateral forces of the rails on the wagons causing the flange squeal.

On the last wagon I expected quite a difference in how the rail ends were aligned, expecting the inner rails to be extended more then the outer rails but they all looked to be fairly equal.

You can imagine the amount of force being placed against the outside wheels on those wagons that all that track attempts to straighten up.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

You can imagine the amount of force being placed against the outside wheels on those wagons that all that track attempts to straighten up.

Probably why the trip around the curve is taken dead slow,

• Agree 2

Views from Hurn Road bridge of a couple of low loaders carrying diggers and leaving lights and generators behind:

20210601_125948.jpg

20210601_130005.jpg

Edited by Crun
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Some from this morning.

The land bridge has pretty much gone now, the concrete temporary barriers at the top of the cutting can now be seen.

IMG-0221.jpg

And here we can see the permanent railings as the cutting gets deeper. Also what looks like temporary piping for the spring that is to the east of the dive under.

IMG-0223.jpg

Work going on here on shaping the west bank of the cutting. Is that pipes or piling on the right?

IMG-0222.jpg

And the east bank here - there's that pipe again. Azuma and 66's passing in the background.

IMG-0224.jpg

Moving back towards Lincoln Road this cabinet has appeared alongside the new trackbed.

IMG-0225.jpg

Then looking at the temporary bridge the southern end has had the landing nose fitted, This should stop it dropping suddenly when the bridge is removed northwards. Talking to one of the guys on site that I've spoken to in the past the bridge is probably coming out on Saturday night during the possession.

IMG-9964.jpg

IMG-9971.jpg

A close up of the rollers at the Werrington end.

IMG-9965.jpg

Some more roller units stored under the northern end of the bridge.

IMG-9966.jpg

And the space they should be dragging it into. Possibly more roller units on the pallets mid right ...

IMG-9967.jpg

The tarmac access into the site has gone and a hardcore landing area for the bridge has been put in place.

IMG-9968.jpg

On the bridleway the temporary fencing is now being removed. When I walked past about 10 minutes later all of these had been emptied of water and were being stacked down by the gates.

IMG-9969.jpg

A single cable is in place along the trackside, the trunking is still to be installed, it looks as if that will happen once the temporary bridge is removed.

IMG-9970.jpg

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Crun said:

Views from Hurn Road bridge of a new crane in action lifting concrete beams:

20210601_131950.jpg

What these beams for?

I thought all the major heavy construction was done.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Richard E said:

Some from this morning.

And here we can see the permanent railings as the cutting gets deeper. Also what looks like temporary piping for the spring that is to the east of the dive under.

IMG-0223.jpg

That pipe comes from those blue valves on the other side of the dive under.  It goes from the valves towards the main line, across the top of the dive under then back along the north side as in your photo and dives back in the ground with a 90° elbow.

2 hours ago, Richard E said:

Work going on here on shaping the west bank of the cutting. Is that pipes or piling on the right?

IMG-0222.jpg

They are upvc water pipes, the same that were used on all the land bridges across Brook Drain.  These have come out from somewhere during the excavation of the land bridge here as they were all covered in mud.  They could have been used for drainage on the south side of the dive under near where the blue valves are now.

• Informative/Useful 1

35 minutes ago, melmerby said:

What these beams for?

I thought all the major heavy construction was done.

Three arrived this afternoon, one on each lorry.  They are a flattened 'T' shape about 20ft long, around 8ft at the top and about 6ft at the bottom.  If I was having a guess, they would make an ideal walkway across the top of the dive under.  The lorries just appeared out the north site and across Hurn Road and were gone in a cloud of dust before I could get my camera out of the bag.

EDIT: The beams in Crun's photos look quite flat compared to the beams that I saw this afternoon.

Edited by Donington Road
  • Informative/Useful 2

Did some screen grabs from train video clips I did this afternoon which shows these slabs of concrete.  Cannot see where they are being placed as the trees are in the way.

642673908_beams2.png.843b202eea918ead3bc8da83769b2003.png

1782462270_beams1.png.07e81675d1e7259b25e899bb838880bd.png

Edited by Donington Road
  • Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Richard E said:

Moving back towards Lincoln Road this cabinet has appeared alongside the new trackbed.

IMG-0225.jpg

For anyone that might be interested, this is a telecoms DC (Distribution Cabinet) on the national FTN (Fixed Telecoms Network). An explanation of the label details;

C = Copper

0431 = Core Node (in this case located at Werrington)

4200 = Access Node (in this case located at Stowgate LC)

A = Discriminating letter denoting 1st (A) or 2nd (B) etc., cable between the nodes

02 = The joint or (in this case) cabinet i.d. number particular to this cable

Not 100% sure what the "D" signifies (not explained in my version of the FTN standard) but it could denote which side of the line it is located on, e.g. Down line, as in some areas the FTN infrastructure is found on both the Up and Down sides of running lines.

EDIT: Just checked in another FTN standard, and the "D" indicates (in this case) that this DC is at the "Down" end of the cable length, which in old money means the "country end".

Edited by iands
Clarification.
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 7

21 hours ago, iands said:

For anyone that might be interested, this is a telecoms DC (Distribution Cabinet) on the national FTN (Fixed Telecoms Network). An explanation of the label details;

C = Copper

0431 = Core Node (in this case located at Werrington)

4200 = Access Node (in this case located at Stowgate LC)

A = Discriminating letter denoting 1st (A) or 2nd (B) etc., cable between the nodes

02 = The joint or (in this case) cabinet i.d. number particular to this cable

Not 100% sure what the "D" signifies (not explained in my version of the FTN standard) but it could denote which side of the line it is located on, e.g. Down line, as in some areas the FTN infrastructure is found on both the Up and Down sides of running lines.

EDIT: Just checked in another FTN standard, and the "D" indicates (in this case) that this DC is at the "Down" end of the cable length, which in old money means the "country end".

They look more user friendly than the other type where you had either to kneel or bend over to terminate the cables 

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, ess1uk said:

They look more user friendly than the other type where you had either to kneel or bend over to terminate the cables 

Looks like a BOP-D (Box On Post) cabinet. Yes, they are a more height-friendly cabinet to work on. Apparently the  BOP-D can be pre-kitted and pre-tailed to various options including for active kit with 4x RJ45 adapters, BUDI-2S fibre term and 4x SC-APC pigtails and adapters, as well as standard IDC copper cable terminations.

• Informative/Useful 4

APOLOGIES - OLD NEWS From Network Rail on Twitter:

Hi Chris, there are some switches and crossings installation works on the Stamford Lines from 03/06/21 to 07/06/21. These are related to the Werrington works. ^RG

Edited by Crun
Update text
  • Informative/Useful 1

23 minutes ago, Crun said:

From Network Rail on Twitter:

Hi Chris, there are some switches and crossings installation works on the Stamford Lines from 03/06/21 to 07/06/21. These are related to the Werrington works. ^RG

I thought that Twitter thingy was for instant news.  The above information was put out months ago, it's even appeared on here several times.

• Agree 1

13 hours ago, Donington Road said:

I thought that Twitter thingy was for instant news.  The above information was put out months ago, it's even appeared on here several times.

Looking back I can only agree. It's old news.

I am looking forward to exploring the area over the weekend during the possession. I hope I can photograph the work and activity.

Edited by Crun
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1