East Coast Mainline Blockade for Werrington Junction diveunder

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Donington Road said:

Fishplates, to be used when the clickety-click needs putting back in the continuously welded rail.:jester:

IMG_9385crail.JPG.d67ca1f39e0294dc758645aadd6b52d1.JPG

Waste of time.

Just give a bloke an angle grinder and tell him to cut a notch every 22yd:good:

• Funny 4

10 hours ago, Richard E said:

Slightly late to the forum but here are my pictures of the walkthrough. I've tried to leave out those that duplicate Micks.

That doesn't matter Richard.  In fact I was waiting for you to post first so it would have cut my work load after a tiring day tramping ballast.:declare:

10 hours ago, Richard E said:

Mick taking the lead here, looks happy with his lot ...

IMG-0413.jpg

Yep, like a cat thats just got the cream:yahoo: although Terry looks as though he is about to reign me in. :punish:

A superb day.  Now that I have seen all the different aspects of it I want to go back and spend a leisurely day taking photos of those more intricate details and some nice steady video.

• Like 3

The Lincoln Road site continues to shrink.

The only building left standing is John's gate house.  The car park and hard standing behind has been ripped out and pushed up to the edge of the new access road that runs parallel with Lincoln Road.  The post and wire mesh fence in the background that goes all the way down to Glinton Junction is soon to be taken out.  The access road for Glinton Junction that runs parallel to the new railway has been reduced in width from six metres to three metres hence the large amount of tarmac that is being removed.

IMG_9465c.jpg.4f241e0a074eae8add9d3089d4b52e66.jpg

IMG_9466c.jpg.60e4f12f18cf703117468fd67dcf34b5.jpg

The dozer is pushing out all the hardcore and substrate to a predefined depth then gradually infilling with topsoil, all done by GPS in the cab to the exact contours of the original field.

IMG_9467c.jpg.8d1270a634777bd54f563f81285dd45b.jpg

No concrete breaker on site, not a problem, just drop it from height.

IMG_9468c.jpg.46fc69c1282e7953bb39d7841a97cc04.jpg

IMG_9469c.jpg.9cc8b480fdfe0818ea6336de26039ac7.jpg

• Like 13
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, JeffP said:

When it's in use, will the crossovers on the main lines be removed?

Unlikely and not in the original plan as it will reduce flexibility of choice of routes if there is a problem at any time.

• Agree 2

33 minutes ago, rodent279 said:

What are you guys going to do when this is all over? :scratchhead: I bet life will seem a bit empty! :D

Starting a group to campaign for the reopening of the March to Spalding route including a dive under at Whitemoor prison :lol::lol:.

I mean, we might have the dive under plus the original junction at Werrington, but what if the whole ECML was blocked just outside Peterborough, a good diversionary route from March to Spalding would sort that lol.

That would be another good thread.........

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 5

17 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

Starting a group to campaign for the reopening of the March to Spalding route including a dive under at Whitemoor prison :lol::lol:.

I mean, we might have the dive under plus the original junction at Werrington, but what if the whole ECML was blocked just outside Peterborough, a good diversionary route from March to Spalding would sort that lol.

That would be another good thread.........

With the line shut between March and Peterborough due to derailment that would have been useful 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, ess1uk said:

With the line shut between March and Peterborough due to derailment that would have been useful 

Considering the amount of freight that has to loop around through Posh, the closure of the direct route looks shortsighted these days.

Especially as it would have negated the need for the Werrington dive under entirely.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, rodent279 said:

What are you guys going to do when this is all over? :scratchhead: I bet life will seem a bit empty! :D

We are going to give Simon George's Heaton Lodge Junction a bit of competition. https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/110677-heaton-lodge-junction/

We are trying to negotiate the purchase of the small immaculately mown field at Hurn Road to construct an 'O' gauge replica of Werrington Junction.  The difficulty we are having is sourcing enough 'O' gauge robotic plant equipment, 'O' gauge piling machines are also booked up until 2030.  Water, like the real thing is also a concern, meaning we have to separate the natural stuff from the horse pee that floods the field before it can be re-used in the Great Crested Newt pond that we have to construct.  At the moment the lady who owns the field is rather reluctant to sell fearing her horse may twist an ankle in the proposed dive under or trip over the large mounds of earth that will be created.

I think I'm already at a bit of a loss....................:crazy:

• Like 5
  • Funny 13

1 hour ago, lmsforever said:

Things to do after the project   ,paint the house ,repaper all rooms ,renew the kitchen,  remodel the garden oh and every now and then take a photo of a train!

Some one not too far away said something along those lines as she was cooking the tea, I suddenly went deaf.:O

• Funny 7

The second land bridge over Brook Drain north that was used for bringing out spoil from the reception pit and south ramp of the dive under has been removed. the only access now to the maintenance tunnel is via the haul road to the west and over Brook Drain to the north of the reception pit or via the new spillway to the south.

Photo taken in February this year, the bridge is behind the pylon where the red and white barriers are.

68409736_cocklane0744c.jpg.1850057ee08412f534c82b682b77fa0b.jpg

1407979270_cocklane0796c.jpg.fa942f7de870aa008293602859ea96b4.jpg

July this year

1020414099_cocklane0992.jpg.e6af2b37d33ead7725e651087fb94ef4.jpg

Today.

IMG_9540d.jpg.6258b96feb18908eac8e43da49a36e75.jpg

The land bridge has gone.  The northern access to the maintenance tunnel (where the second person is higher up the roadway) is now accessed to the right of the yellow pump on the right hand side of the photo.  It follows the edge of the Down Stamford line.

IMG_9540c.JPG.c917f4db4a0a7ad19f43dad7c4b7eeec.JPG

We can now see the farm buildings again on the truncated Hurn Road that goes to Marholm.

IMG_9541c.jpg.94e7a0ce04865f6deac304680729c9f0.jpg

• Like 11

11 hours ago, rodent279 said:

Now that IS weird.

Just after posting my question this morning, I said to my wife that I'd really miss this thread when it was all done and dusted.

• Friendly/supportive 1

It is impressive the way area around the works is being returned to its condition before the works started. the digger that was returning a field to its origonal condition using a computer is an example of attention to detail that shows NR is taking great care with thier projects.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, lmsforever said:

Things to do after the project   ,paint the house ,repaper all rooms ,renew the kitchen,  remodel the garden oh and every now and then take a photo of a train!

Do some modelling? (trains not posing!:D)

• Funny 1

45 minutes ago, lmsforever said:

It is impressive the way area around the works is being returned to its condition before the works started. the digger that was returning a field to its origonal condition using a computer is an example of attention to detail that shows NR is taking great care with thier projects.

Here is another example, this chap was measuring the soil height next to Brook Drain this afternoon.

1337259865_2021-0852.jpg.f2785ee9239729d04446b0c767d4d716.jpg

• Like 3