East Coast Mainline Blockade for Werrington Junction diveunder

3 hours ago, Crun said:

There's a short article about the Werrington dive-under on pages 20 and 21 of the RAIL magazine issue 901 dated 25th March to April 7th. RAIL 902 out on April 8th will have an update on the project by Paul Stephen.

Thanks Chris, there is also a one page spread in April's Modern Railways which is near identical to the Rail magazine article.

A lot of sheet piling has been done this week, not seen it, but heard the appropriate noises coming in on the wind, along with quite a few train horns too. My guess is they are working right down at the southern end where the wide-way is at its narrowest with close proximity of workmen and trains hence the horn blowing.

Edited by Donington Road
  • Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

24 minutes ago, Donington Road said:

Thanks Chris, there is also a one page spread in April's Modern Railways which is near identical to the Rail magazine article.

A lot of sheet piling has been done this week, not seen it, but heard the appropriate noises coming in on the wind, along with quite a few train horns too. My guess is they are working right down at the southern end where the wide-way is at its narrowest with close proximity of workmen and trains hence the horn blowing.

I'll be crossing the ECML by bike via Hurn Road footbridge and back home via Cock Lane footbridge tomorrow morning. I'll check to see if they are working this Saturday.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Crun said:

I'll be crossing the ECML by bike via Hurn Road footbridge and back home via Cock Lane footbridge tomorrow morning. I'll check to see if they are working this Saturday.

I not suggesting you hang around for too long anywhere on your journey, but any photos if possible would be most welcome.

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, Donington Road said:

I not suggesting you hang around for too long anywhere on your journey, but any photos if possible would be most welcome.

I barely saw a soul crossing the bridges last Saturday. If I did see people in Werrington or Ferry Meadows, I let them go on their way with plenty of space before I carried on cycling along any narrow paths etc. I will take a few photo's very quickly and then jump back on my bike. Can't hang around as I have food and milk to deliver to my parents.

Edited by Crun
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

19 hours ago, Donington Road said:

Very quiet but some activity towards the Hurn Road bridge as seen from Cock Lane bridge. Too far away to capture on a phone camera.

All the other machinery was parked up neatly with no workers in sight.

20200404_132534.jpg

Edited by Crun
To add text
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

2 hours ago, Crun said:

A side view of the excavation:

20200404_133450.jpg

Firstly, thank you Chris for uploading all the photos and I hope your journey was a safe one.

This photo shows work being done on the Werrington Brook.  The two parallel lines going away from the fence are the old culvert that went under the original Stamford lines.

I should think this is being dug out to be replaced with a pipe of 400mm diameter which will connect with the siphon which is just in front of the orange posts on the far side of the present Stamford lines.  The siphon has restricted pipe of 400mm diameter to feed Werrington Brook so that in times of high water flow, as seen quite recently, any excess water will be diverted to the new drain therefore eliminating flooding of Werrington Brook.

Edited by Donington Road
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 6

4 hours ago, Donington Road said:

Firstly, thank you Chris for uploading all the photos and I hope your journey was a safe one.

This photo shows work being done on the Werrington Brook.  The two parallel lines going away from the fence are the old culvert that went under the original Stamford lines.

I should think this is being dug out to be replaced with a pipe of 400mm diameter which will connect with the siphon which is just in front of the orange posts on the far side of the present Stamford lines.  The siphon has restricted pipe of 400mm diameter to feed Werrington Brook so that in times of high water flow, as seen quite recently, any excess water will be diverted to the new drain therefore eliminating flooding of Werrington Brook.

My journey out to my parents with food and milk was OK but was against the wind so slower than return journey. I waited at bottom of Hurn Lane bridge to let another cyclist pass safely, only to discover two trainspotters on the bridge itself...

Thanks for adding your knowledge to my photo's. I will be out that way next Saturday to take food and drink over again, all being well.

Edited by Crun
  • Friendly/supportive 1

5 minutes ago, Crun said:

I waited at bottom of Hurn Lane bridge to let another cyclist pass safely, only to discover two trainspotters on the bridge itself...

That is just so irresponsible of people, there are plenty of places around that area to see trains and to be well away from anyone at the same time.

Poor judgement on their part.

• Agree 2

The conclusion would appear to be that work is continuing on Werrington, but not at the rate it was before? I guess the key issue will be whether they can continue to do enough to meet the big blockade in, IIRC, September (?).

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Crun said:

A panoramic view looking north:

20200404_133832.jpg

Could someone explain what's going on with the signals on the down fast? (the far line of the three)

We seem to have two sets of signals next to each other. Is one out of use?

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, melmerby said:

Could someone explain what's going on with the signals on the down fast? (the far line of the three)

Not very clear in the photo, but the righthand one has an "X" covering the aspects, so not yet commissioned, also not yet displaying a signal plate. 

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, iands said:

Not very clear in the photo, but the righthand one has an "X" covering the aspects, so not yet commissioned, also not yet displaying a signal plate. 

I'm sure Donington Road can confirm but that non-commissioned signal has been there for several years and is nothing to do with the dive under project. It certainly was there before the project commenced.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, Richard E said:

I'm sure Donington Road can confirm but that non-commissioned signal has been there for several years and is nothing to do with the dive under project. It certainly was there before the project commenced.

Ah, okay, maybe it's decommissioned and waiting recovery? 

8 minutes ago, iands said:

Ah, okay, maybe it's decommissioned and waiting recovery? 

There were some rusty bits of trackside metal work taken away during the construction of the westward move of the Stamford lines as captured by Donington Road a good while ago. Perhaps they will take the opportunity during the remainder of the creation of the dive under to remove old, obsolete metal work etc.

Edited by Crun

• RMweb Premium
44 minutes ago, Richard E said:

It looks like a new LED array like the one on the up slow, the old one in front being a four aspect incandescent lamp type

• RMweb Premium
26 minutes ago, melmerby said:

It looks like a new LED array like the one on the up slow, the old one in front being a four aspect incandescent lamp type

It isn't new, it has been there for a number of years as I asked Donington Road about it myself. It is nothing to do with this project.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

12 hours ago, melmerby said:

The signal to the rear with the 'X' on it was erected in late 2011.

It has never been used.  Why? I don't know.

It is surprising that the bag over it has lasted that long and the 'X' is done in gaffer tape.

• Informative/Useful 5

1 hour ago, Crun said:

There were some rusty bits of trackside metal work taken away during the construction of the westward move of the Stamford lines as captured by Donington Road a good while ago. Perhaps they will take the opportunity during the remainder of the creation of the dive under to remove old, obsolete metal work etc.

Reading this article, removing all signalling maybe nearer than you think.

2020-04-01_20-34-12.jpg.ca9f77ffabe2a59bbbfc8e81b8dbe463.jpg

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2