East Coast Mainline Blockade for Werrington Junction diveunder

Werrington Junction engineering drawings PART 1

attachicon.gifwerrington junction plans 2017 part 1.pdf

Werrington Junction engineering drawings PART 2

attachicon.gifwerrington junction plans 2017 part 2.pdf

edit: oh well they came out in one post instead of two :scratchhead:

Do you have permission to publish those drawings? Anything revision XXX.1 has not usually been signed off - note the blank signature boxes - and has therefore not been officially issued. I will be making enquiries in the morning...

• RMweb Gold

Do you have permission to publish those drawings? Anything revision XXX.1 has not usually been signed off - note the blank signature boxes - and has therefore not been officially issued. I will be making enquiries in the morning...

I'm sure I've seen those before, they formed part of the planning application in the public domain.

:drag:

Well it would appear that it is Network Rail that put them in the public domain. They should not have, as those drawings are basically a 'work in progress', not signed off and therefore could be subject to change, with all the implications that has if someone tries to use them as a reference. However whats done is done...  :scratchhead:

• RMweb Gold

Well it would appear that it is Network Rail that put them in the public domain. They should not have, as those drawings are basically a 'work in progress', not signed off and therefore could be subject to change, with all the implications that has if someone tries to use them as a reference. However whats done is done...  :scratchhead:

I would have thought that if you were part of the project then you would only work on drawings and specs provided by network rail rather than something pulled from the internet. 

There is also the issue of how you actually apply for planning and consult with Joe public if you don't publish details of proposals.  Surely any final documents can't be produced until this procedure is completed.

Edited by chris p bacon

I would have thought that if you were part of the project then you would only work on drawings and specs provided by network rail rather than something pulled from the internet. 

There is also the issue of how you actually apply for planning and consult with Joe public if you don't publish details of proposals.  Surely any final documents can't be produced until this procedure is completed.

Indeed that is what someone working on the project would do. However these drawings are now in the public domain and available to anyone, working on the project or otherwise.

You will also notice that this drawing has had previous issues A01 and A02, which may well have been published as part of the procedure. The next one to be published should be a fully signed off A03, not an unsigned A03.1 which is a work in progress and should be for internal circulation only, for information only.

It could well be for example that there is some land shown as potentially being compulsory purchased, that subsequently is engineered out. It could cause unnecessary concern to the owner of that land if that was the case and they saw these drawings.

• RMweb Gold

Indeed that is what someone working on the project would do. However these drawings are now in the public domain and available to anyone, working on the project or otherwise.

You will also notice that this drawing has had previous issues A01 and A02, which may well have been published as part of the procedure. The next one to be published should be a fully signed off A03, not an unsigned A03.1 which is a work in progress and should be for internal circulation only, for information only.

It could well be for example that there is some land shown as potentially being compulsory purchased, that subsequently is engineered out. It could cause unnecessary concern to the owner of that land if that was the case and they saw these drawings.

But that is the very nature of public planning.

I've yet to submit a planning application that doesn't have revisions to drawings where I try and meet others expectations, so again having several versions is part of the process. The only ones that matter are the final ones with a signed approval. 

Re-compulsory purchase. Any owners of land that are affected have by statute to be informed by the applicant (NR) well in advance of any public application, none of this would come as a suprise.

I'm sure I've seen those before, they formed part of the planning application in the public domain.

Here are the links to the planning drawing files from Network Rail's own website,  link at the bottom of page: https://www.networkrail.co.uk/running-the-railway/our-routes/lne-and-em/east-coast-mainline-route-upgrade/werrington-grade-separation/

The link will take you to here and in Section NR11 you can find all the detailed "planning" drawings

http://archive.nr.co.uk/browseDirectory.aspx?root=&dir=%5cImprovements%5cWerrington%20Grade%20Separation%20application%20documents

These are Outline Design drawings and certainly not "Fit for Construction" drawings.  So they may well be subject to change at Detailed Design stage.

In Network Rail Standard NR/L2/INI/EDT/CP0091 - Specification for Computer Aided Design the revision status are as follows:

Revision # - Description  - GRIP stage  - Issue status
P01, P02 etc - Preliminary, Feasibility, Proposal or Option  - GRIP 1, 2, 3  - For Information
A01, A02 etc - Outline design or ‘Form A’  - GRIP 4 - For Approval
B01, B02 etc - Detailed design or ‘Form B’ GRIP 5 - For Approval
C01, C02 etc - Construction and installation GRIP 6  - For Construction
Z01, Z02 etc - As Built or As Installed - GRIP 6 - As Built
Edited by Jaggzuk

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

In this Tuesday's Lincolnshire Free Press (the local paper for Spalding), the Spalding and Peterborough Transport Forum say that work on the Grade Separation could start later this year, and be completed in 2020. All good so far. However, the chairman  goes on to say: “We reckon the railway crossing barriers are going to be down 24 minutes in every hour, and don’t forget that’s going through the night as well. It’s going to be Tallington again.” To put this in context, today (Wednesday), there has been 26 passenger workings, and 22 freight services (total 48 trains). Assuming the barriers are down for 4 mins per train, that equates to 192 mins, or 8 mins per hour. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

NR state on their website that (whilst there are no mandated timescales for SoS decisions) they hope for a decision by the Autumn 2018. Fingers crossed.....

Does Uncle Roger's law of never trusting a date that includes a season apply to an SoS decision.

Jamie

• 4 weeks later...

In reference to paragraph 6:

Assuming TYPE 3 railway diesel engines are 37s, what TYPE 2s are running around (in that area) spreading exhaust polution (sic)?

The Type 2 and Type 3 refer to different types of pollutant from diesel exhaust, and not the historical BR loco classifications. 

Assuming TYPE 3 railway diesel engines are 37s, what TYPE 2s are running around (in that area) spreading exhaust polution (sic)?

There are plenty of 'tractors' around muck spreading and the 'rats' are confined to Werrington Brook :jester:

• RMweb Premium

I suspect that the author is talking about Tier 2 and Tier 3 emissions standards though the idea of lots of 37's and resurrected 25's does sound appealing, 

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 1

Some might like the first ten minutes of this cab ride from Peterborough through Werrington Junction.

Interesting video. Because most of the ECML freight has been diverted via Lincoln (or so I gather from my last visit to the junction) it's much more difficult now to get movies of the traffic through the site.

Interesting video. Because most of the ECML freight has been diverted via Lincoln (or so I gather from my last visit to the junction) it's much more difficult now to get movies of the traffic through the site.

Yes, the GNGE Joint Line Upgrade was completed a year ahead of schedule, so that should have been the case since last year.

Having travelled the line regularly in the late 60's and early 70's I was astounded by the amount of uncontrolled vegetation that now prevails throughout the whole journey.  From Peterborugh to Werrington Junction it is a disgrace, especially around New England yards.

• 2 weeks later...