East Coast Mainline Blockade for Werrington Junction diveunder

2 hours ago, melmerby said:

Seems logical as otherwise opening other peoples e-mails illicitly would be a doddle!

Sorry once again. I will investigate further and try and post an openable version.

Edited by Crun
  • Thanks 1

On 31/08/2020 at 01:11, corneliuslundie said:

How many men does it take to load a few cabinets onto a wagon? I made it a dozen or so.

I am sure that in times past three or strong men would have done it without the crane, and a lot quicker.

Or am I being unfair?

Jonathan

This sufficiently piqued my interest that I went and asked - and thus maintained my reputation for being the one with the strange questions :-)

Part of the facility that I work at receives signalling cabinets from the fabricators, puts the electronic gubbins in, before sending them off to site for installation and commissioning.

The answer is, of course, it depends ...

There are a whole family of these things, from little pole mounted cases that you can pick up and carry around to Portakabin sized SERs. The weight also depends on just how much tech is inside them - some of the internals have noticeable weight to them, plus the internal framework (aluminium channel) required to hang everything from.

Ours are in Western Australia, and I don't know how much they differ from the UK specs, but the cases are aluminium and something the size of what is shown in the picture would weigh in around 150 kilos, perhaps more depending on the contents. Our cases also have additional panels on the exterior as part of the heat deflection process, much like you would put a flysheet over a canvas tent to keep some of the heat (rain) off the interior, which will also add to the weight.

When they leave the factory, as its known, the little cases are on pallets and are forked onto the truck. Larger units require a crane to come in and lift them - they have lifting eyes on the top of the cases, but as someone pointed out today, no indication of the rating...

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium

Having been in the Werrington area this morning I have some more pictures.

Starting with Lincoln Road the new bridge beams now have shuttering in place between them and work is continuing on the abutments.

IMG_1730

IMG_1731

Moving over to the A15 underbridge there is a big stack of rebar and the piling auger is now on site digging away.

IMG_1732

IMG_1733

Meanwhile at Cock Lane footbridge they are bringing in and spreading top soil on the eastern side.

IMG_1739

In the diveunder the walling where it crosses Werrington Brook is now complete on both sides apart from one panel next to signal P496.

IMG_1740

And work is continuing to the north of the footbridge too. It's still pretty wet.

IMG_1741

IMG_9882

IMG_9881

Edited by Richard E
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Down at the old Hurn Road on Thursday videoing a bit of piling for the second retaining wall under the A15 bridge and again it has been difficult or made more difficult filming interesting operations.
There is a 10cm gap between each section of the white mesh fencing which you can just poke a small lens through but not the whole camera.  Alas, some jobsworth from the site office came along the 'public footpath' and reprimanded me for tresspassing on railway property, yes, for poking said lens no more than 30mm,perhaps 50mm when zooming in, through the gap, to the extent that he sent his security man to see me ten minutes later to comfirm that I was abiding by the rules.  Said security man was rather embarrassed by the whole affair.  I did offer to stand on the naughty step, i.e., the horse dismounting podium behind me, but we thought better of it incase I fell off and might sue Network Rail because there is no safety railing attached to it.

So life goes on and here is the video of the piling, a little shaky in places as I didn't want to touch the fence to steady my hands incase the jobsworth had electrified it.:jester::jester::jester:

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 2

£1.2 billion engineering works to take place on East Coast Mainline to improve Peterborough train services

Network Rail have confirmed a huge engineering works scheme on the East Coast Mainline, which will involve partial closures of the line, will take place over spring and summer next year.

https://www.peterboroughtoday.co.uk/news/transport/ps12-billion-engineering-works-take-place-east-coast-mainline-improve-peterborough-train-services-2960136

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

On 04/09/2020 at 02:23, Crun said:

£1.2 billion engineering works to take place on East Coast Mainline to improve Peterborough train services

Network Rail have confirmed a huge engineering works scheme on the East Coast Mainline, which will involve partial closures of the line, will take place over spring and summer next year.

https://www.peterboroughtoday.co.uk/news/transport/ps12-billion-engineering-works-take-place-east-coast-mainline-improve-peterborough-train-services-2960136

Old news

• RMweb Premium
21 minutes ago, ess1uk said:

Old news

Been reading the local rag on a slow news day. It's a terrible paper speaking from experience of trying to get some community news in there.

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, ess1uk said:

Old news

My apologies for the unnecessary posting of news past its use by date. I am not as au fait with railway news or related engineering as the rest of you. 

• Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium
40 minutes ago, Crun said:

My apologies for the unnecessary posting of news past its use by date. I am not as au fait with railway news or related engineering as the rest of you. 

Not your fault, it's the lousy lot at the local newspaper who wouldn't know what journalism is if it slapped them in the face with a wet fish.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
42 minutes ago, Richard E said:

Not your fault, it's the lousy lot at the local newspaper who wouldn't know what journalism is if it slapped them in the face with a wet fish.

We have the same problem here. It seems to me that news gathering for these "papers" is based in a centralised office covering several significant towns in an area although they publish on line as if they are replacements for the old local newspapers. I don't think there are actually any proper journalists employed at all (and no photographers based on the number of "library" photos used) who actually go out and visit sites or interview people but they just use people in the office to gather "local" news from Twitter, Facebook and wherever they can and type in to the system. There is probably not enough time for checking facts and using good English and probably not enough money to pay for quality writers. I have found articles published in my "local" newspaper that cover a town many miles away but run by the same organisation so probably just a "clip" that they happened to dump in the wrong box. 

One thing that does annoy me is that nearly all headlines will say something like "In a Lincolnshire Village............" and you have to open the article and read some way down before you find out which village is the subject. In the old days that name would be in the headline so you could quickly see which articles to read. Now it is all about getting the reader to open and read down so that more adverts can be stuffed in. I miss my old local rags.

Sorry for going OT. 

I am really enjoying the pictures and commentaries so Thank you all for providing the information and going out to get the pictures, etc.

Edited by highpeakman
  • Like 2
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, Richard E said:

Been reading the local rag on a slow news day. It's a terrible paper speaking from experience of trying to get some community news in there.

11 hours ago, Crun said:

Its old news, BUT Network Rail have recently released a load of stuff reminding folk that Kings Cross is completely CLOSED this weekend (5th & 6th September).

https://eastcoastupgrade.co.uk/travel-information/

I'm guessing that was what prompted the local news headlines....

• Agree 1

15 hours ago, phil-b259 said:

Its old news, BUT Network Rail have recently released a load of stuff reminding folk that Kings Cross is completely CLOSED this weekend (5th & 6th September).

https://eastcoastupgrade.co.uk/travel-information/

I'm guessing that was what prompted the local news headlines....

Edited by Crun

During Saturday night Cock Lane footbridge was closed for repairs.  Rumour was that is was to replace the bearing pads that the bridge span sits on.

The roving reporter has been out today and furnished me with some photographs of work which has been done on the east side.  Going back a few weeks, I think it was Richard Elms that pointed out that there was always a large puddle of water that collected on the top ramp after any rain.

With my slight engineering knowledge I have come to the conclusion that the bridge span was tilting slightly beneath the horizontal on the north side.  Judging by the photographs of the modifications this seems to bear that theory out.  You can all come to your own conclusions.:good:

The bridge span.

1750986617_2019-0531.jpg.953f490b80c84539421a49e15330895a.jpg

Looking to the east side top ramp.

1312168153_2019-0967clfc.jpg.2d3d35585dbe24dee4831d289118469b.jpg

Original bearing pads.

527488379_2019-0644clf.jpg.f8f7780d140300186a5abb5557e84b7c.jpg

1529068140_2019-0740clf.jpg.801df19631f1dba039aced60af84790b.jpg

The new bearing padsDSC_2069.jpg.0e24d5d6fe15c1e6321d441eb392a9d0.jpg

The bridge appears to have been raised with jacks between the two girders.  Two marks of what look to be jacking points on the top girder.

The right hand bearing pad looks to me as though it has a thicker top plate than that of the left side one.  On the vertical pier that supports the ramp, the weld has been cut away from the ramp and what looks like a new infill piece has been welded and dressed off on top of the pier raising the ramp on that side.  On the left had side, right at the top of the photo (and on the next one down) it appears the ramp and pier are still welded together as originally done so confirming only the right had side has been raised.

DSC_2069c.jpg.7b8c3a29d415f7753ef62e57623cd236.jpg

Left hand side.

DSC_2070.jpg.e0156a437cbae51d9bf61d97493ebed9.jpg

DSC_2072.jpg.41ad79bfd7cf0af6a5e859a7a87c7824.jpg

DSC_2072c.jpg.c29bc5b29fb790a305bb4d8d52c1747f.jpg

Right hand side, with a thicker plate?

DSC_2073.jpg.23279ac4cd6353512dcbf92e987a6d08.jpg

DSC_2071.jpg.0651df1fad25e86fd223d42225ddce55.jpg

DSC_2074.jpg.9f7310024a12385b7243d81a80b54756.jpg

Edited by Donington Road
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 7

• RMweb Premium
On 06/09/2020 at 22:05, Donington Road said:

During Saturday night Cock Lane footbridge was closed for repairs.  Rumour was that is was to replace the bearing pads that the bridge span sits on.

The roving reporter has been out today and furnished me with some photographs of work which has been done on the east side.  Going back a few weeks, I think it was Richard Elms that pointed out that there was always a large puddle of water that collected on the top ramp after any rain.

With my slight engineering knowledge I have come to the conclusion that the bridge span was tilting slightly beneath the horizontal on the north side.  Judging by the photographs of the modifications this seems to bear that theory out.  You can all come to your own conclusions.:good:

Looking to the east side top ramp.

1312168153_2019-0967clfc.jpg.2d3d35585dbe24dee4831d289118469b.jpg

The bridge appears to have been raised with jacks between the two girders.  Two marks of what look to be jacking points on the top girder.

The right hand bearing pad looks to me as though it has a thicker top plate than that of the left side one. 

Right hand side, with a thicker plate?

DSC_2071.jpg.0651df1fad25e86fd223d42225ddce55.jpg

Picking up on this it is indeed the case that the north side of the bridge has been raised, it is about 1/4 inch or so as evidenced by this, they've missed priming it unlike the other bits involved. The other side is still as originally installed. It is also only on the Werrington end of the bridge.

IMG_1751

At Lincoln Road they are still building the bridge abutments.

IMG_1745

And piling under the A15. Whilst watching this there was a 'security' bod wander along and hang around for a while. At least I assume he was security as, despite wearing Morgan Sindall hi-vis he had a red SIA type armband/card holder on. He'd wandered down from the secuirty hut at the site entrance on Hurn Road.

IMG_9885

Initially it was a bit puzzling as the access from Lincoln Road to the dive under bridlepath was blocked off by a concrete block, especially as it was apparent a couple of days ago that they were using the road, but it soon became clear as the gatepost is lying in the verge.

IMG_1747

IMG_1748

Edited by Richard E
additional info.
  • Like 7

Slow news week, a quick survey around Cock Lane this afternoon to see what is going on but not much has really changed.

Looking north, the ramp is slowly being excavated.  The excavator was compacting the soil with the bucket then running backwards and forwards quite a few times compacting even more with its tracks.  Still very wet in there and we have not had any rain for quite a while now.

IMG_5780.jpg.1c5fce1d0276ba21ebf3086261693d0e.jpg

Further on, the concrete raft supporting the steel piling is being extended at the far end towards the concrete piling.

IMG_5782.jpg.e950e3b139af2cf467d6fba2978d4ebd.jpg

IMG_5790.jpg.cd42ba9d43e68fa0e3f97ad95334713f.jpg

IMG_5788.jpg.c131584b275edc4de3011bba695d07f6.jpg

Beyond the raft, the pillars on the left hand side atop of the concrete walls are finished, the right hand ones need concrete pouring in the shuttering.  The shape and line of the dive-under is now more prominant since a lot of machinery has been removed.  Where the earth is mounded up in front of the yellow dumper the retaining walls have yet to be done to connect up with the curving sections.  It looks as though a start has been made on the left one where the orange brigade are working just after the earth mound.  We suspect that once the retaining walls are complete the spoil will be removed via the access bridge/tunnel situated where you can just see the yellow boom of an excavator.

IMG_5785.jpg.26871b7a607d89d3ca0ef77ddbbb7f64.jpg

IMG_5807.jpg.baff8e76e1d0b750e0c63501bc610c5d.jpg

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 1

South of Cock Lane.  The spoil taken out by the excavator on the north side has only moved a few yards!

IMG_5781.jpg.6efc3661df56e46c7aba62f53ac55ca0.jpg

From this image and the next one it is now apparent where the Up Stamford Line will flow due to the positioning of the drainage for that line.  The line will go from the little yellow excavator, under the gantry and to the left of the square drainage sumps that are being installed.

IMG_5794.jpg.e63fcb2567a3783abae8a2471c267eb5.jpg

IMG_5794c.jpg.2eee20c1de5688ff667e959195aebc33.jpg

The partial hole that was over Werrington Brook has been filled, levelled and rolled.

IMG_5795.jpg.90b6e9cf4980ca8f8d805d90489ba75f.jpg

The column against Werrington Brook (which we believe is for the signal that presently resides over on the Stamford Line) has been weatherproofed.  The hangers that once held the trough for the signalling cable on the ECML have not been removed.  IMO this is one of NR failings, they never seem to remove obsolete equipment and tidy up.

IMG_5796.jpg.60d966171ac2e0c953a1f68ffbd8bd7d.jpg

• Like 6
  • Agree 1