East Coast Mainline Blockade for Werrington Junction diveunder

With regards to the drainage side, Marholm Brook is at normal levels,.......

IMG_5801.jpg.6663081e39dc155ea44e22bffa63bc00.jpg

......with hardly a trickle of water coming through to the Werrington Brook inlet, which is on the left.

No idea what the other inlet/outlet is.  It goes at about 45 dgrees between the railway and industrial units.  The other outlet of what was assumed to be the run off from the industrial area which was on the right has been covered up with hard clay.

IMG_5816.jpg.c2bd8e215584e9a4cc0f73a06d11fd45.jpg

IMG_5800.jpg.d89d2bdb0ae9e84795f122dc9eb8cb19.jpg

Looking north along the new drain where the banks and bottom have been cleaned up where the old access bridge to the site was situated.

IMG_5814.jpg.6981c5f97cbfc252a7a56ff3ba6946c4.jpg

The greatest percentage of water in here comes from Westwood/Bretton and through the culvert directly under the Stamford Lines.

IMG_5803.jpg.f2c69456e29401bd01d368038fc3ace6.jpg

.......and a couple for Crun of the Little Egret who seems to have made his/her home here.

IMG_5805.jpg.23255a3de66cb75cda0cdd898cc9e9d6.jpg

I don't know what sex the Little Egret is but it's got damn big feet like me:jester:

IMG_5805c.jpg.9effe84f07e618dc5290d686298fede6.jpg

• Like 5

Other odd things seen today.

A laser target about an inch square on the north facing west side of the footbridge span.  The bearing pads on this side are supposedly being changed this Saturday night.

IMG_5804.jpg.fe85cbbd12c4124780b5a7a030923bdd.jpg

A piece of cut off interlocked sheet piling in the ballast, I would say it is 12mm thick.

IMG_5824.jpg.3a646393d82bd6c2e56642626d2b53fd.jpg

A sign post with two plates attached next to the Stamford Lines facing away from the bridge so I have no idea what it is, but I am intrigued by the sticker on the back of each plate (next photo).

IMG_5825.jpg.0d9ced22335f4e6d6cdcf427e871a01f.jpg

Poor quality, but it reads: Royal British Legion Industries  'No Scrap Value'

IMG_5825c.jpg.52aeaeaea47105dfecdf8c8362e621e8.jpg

Over on the east side, parts of the footbridge seem to have been discarded, hope it's not going to fall down.:scared:

IMG_5841c.jpg.91f9e1449c528c7b5b5e2e107e344226.jpg

And finally, I wonder where these sleepers have come from.  The old wooden one on the right has probably been dug up from the wide-way but I'm surprised it has made its way across to the east side.  The other two I have no idea, never seen anything like them before, perhaps some of you might know.  Sorry the photos are not very sharp.  These things only came to light when I was viewing images of trains and they happened to be in the same photo.

IMG_5848c.jpg.aa707318a3a8001f11f7ef2e8aac47ca.jpg

IMG_5841cd.jpg.86a45b975423365c7b9379170c5caa63.jpg

IMG_5868c.jpg.4c3c92a36978248a0f1c910b132e2920.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Donington Road said:

No scrap value usually means it's plastic, to deter the metal fairies (If they can read :)). You can also see it on the back of modern road signs.

Royal British Legion run workshops for disabled servicemen, that's where it will have been made.

I used to visit a workshop for the blind (RNIB?) where they could be usefully employed and they made items for GPO/PO/BT

Edited by melmerby
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

1 hour ago, melmerby said:

No scrap value usually means it's plastic, to deter the metal fairies (If they can read :)). You can also see it on the back of modern road signs.

Royal British Legion run workshops for disabled servicemen, that's where it will have been made.

I used to visit a workshop for the blind (RNIB?) where they could be usefully employed and they made items for GPO/PO/BT

Ha, ha, I read your reply first in the notification I received before you did the edit, then I came here to add something in brackets, but you beat me to it!:rolleyes:

It is good to know that larger companies are using and supporting the RBL in such a way.  Well done to those concerned.:good:

Edited by Donington Road

3 hours ago, Donington Road said:

And finally, I wonder where these sleepers have come from.  The old wooden one on the right has probably been dug up from the wide-way but I'm surprised it has made its way across to the east side.  The other two I have no idea, never seen anything like them before, perhaps some of you might know.  Sorry the photos are not very sharp.  These things only came to light when I was viewing images of trains and they happened to be in the same photo.

I think I have got this totally wrong about them being sleepers.

Having looked closer, those green things that look a bit like rail clips, could they possibly be something to do with electrical connections?  Earthing connectors? :scratchhead:

Edited by Donington Road

11 hours ago, Donington Road said:

A laser target about an inch square on the north facing west side of the footbridge span.  The bearing pads on this side are supposedly being changed this Saturday night.

IMG_5804.jpg.fe85cbbd12c4124780b5a7a030923bdd.jpg

A piece of cut off interlocked sheet piling in the ballast, I would say it is 12mm thick.

IMG_5824.jpg.3a646393d82bd6c2e56642626d2b53fd.jpg

A sign post with two plates attached next to the Stamford Lines facing away from the bridge so I have no idea what it is, but I am intrigued by the sticker on the back of each plate (next photo).

IMG_5825.jpg.0d9ced22335f4e6d6cdcf427e871a01f.jpg

Over on the east side, parts of the footbridge seem to have been discarded, hope it's not going to fall down.:scared:

IMG_5841c.jpg.91f9e1449c528c7b5b5e2e107e344226.jpg

Hollow sleepers for running cables through 

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
24 minutes ago, melmerby said:

Why not just let a channel section into the ballast between sleeepers and run cables through that?

Because you can't then tamp the track, well you can, but the tamper will cut the cables. 

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
50 minutes ago, highpeakman said:

is the vertical sheet piling on the slope down going to be faced with anything or just left as it is?

My guess is it'll be left 'as is',  it's very expensive to face piling like this, and as it would only be seen fleetingly from a passing train there isn't really a need.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
31 minutes ago, chris p bacon said:

My guess is it'll be left 'as is',  it's very expensive to face piling like this, and as it would only be seen fleetingly from a passing train there isn't really a need.

Thanks. I understand the cost issue of facing but wasn't sure if any additional strengthening/bracing would be required.

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, highpeakman said:

but wasn't sure if any additional strengthening/bracing would be required.

I think this can be 4m on show before any further strengthening it required, it does depend on what it's holding back and ground water conditions. I note where it's something like 5M deep it's piled with cross bracing 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, iands said:

Because you can't then tamp the track, well you can, but the tamper will cut the cables. 

Surely it's no different to those sleepers?

Once it's outside them the cable is just as exposed, or are we at cross purposes here?

One load of steel covering the cables is the same as another

What about if the sleeper needed replacement? Then you would have to cut the cables.

37 minutes ago, melmerby said:

Once it's outside them the cable is just as exposed, or are we at cross purposes here?

One load of steel covering the cables is the same as another

What about if the sleeper needed replacement? Then you would have to cut the cables.

The sleeper would be 'U' channel with a flat top bolted on.

Perhaps this is the confirmation that they are indeed hollow sleeps.

http://www.trackwork.co.uk/manufacturing/hollow-steel-sleepers/

Edited by Donington Road
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, melmerby said:

I think we may be slightly at cross purposes. With a hollow sleeper, the cables enter/exit at the ends of the sleepers, therefore the cables are physically kept clear of the tamper "tines."

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Donington Road said:

The sleeper would be 'U' channel with a flat top bolted on.

8 minutes ago, iands said:

I think we may be slightly at cross purposes. With a hollow sleeper, the cables enter/exit at the ends of the sleepers, therefore the cables are physically kept clear of the tamper "tines."

That's what I was thinking for cable trunking, A U shape steel trough with a lid.

I should make myself a bit clearer in future!

• Friendly/supportive 1

The “laser target” is a survey temporary reference marker, commonly known to surveyors and site engineers as a “sticky” . They serve various purposes, but most usually as a backsight for positioning or orienting an instrument. They usually come in groups of three or more, there will be others somewhere about. 

• Informative/Useful 3

Around Lincoln Road this afternoon there is still a lot of rebar threading and formwork being put in place on the new bridge.

IMG_5922.jpg.8fb5cbc9591e6f85080a48c3abc94f54.jpg

IMG_5921.jpg.be0e55041809ca77c0f23f859a82885e.jpg

IMG_5923.jpg.398782c6f1bf3a7ecb45931304df3037.jpg

IMG_5927.jpg.67aca8cf03cd18debfc7a78dd5888c75.jpg

Viewed from the other side, the alignment of the down ramp from Glinton Junction is starting to form.

The eventual junction will be much nearer to Lincoln Road than first visualised.  The Up Line coming in somewhere near the temporary 50 speed restriction sign in the middle distance.  The Down Line probably half way before the 'T' sign and cross over further back. (next photo)

All being well future photography from the new Lincoln Road bridge should be quite good, barring ridiculously high fencing or sheet panelling.

IMG_5925c.jpg.29570c337388b2a034915fb6f5919622.jpg

IMG_5925cd.jpg.c5012f3bafe93a4e39697ba6c7c04f8c.jpg

Meanwhile, piling at Hurn Road bridge had come to a halt.  The hot weather had caused the cement to start solidifying in the pipe from the concrete pump some 100 yards away.  The pipe was being disconnected about half way and a ball shot through under pressure to clear it.  A hasty retreat was necessitated as the ball came through splattering cement everywhere.

IMG_5929.jpg.6bfc8d56da5fe416a6522b479ad45fca.jpg

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium

Ah, I'd wondered what the balls were that were up by the cement pump yesterday. Noted that they were using two piece rebar columns under the A15 yesterday due to limited headroom. Even then they'd chopped about a foot off one of the sections! They were having some problems with the cement pumping due to a, what can I say, misunderstanding about when to pump concrete or not.

The knitting of rebar on Lincoln Road has progressed quite well since then too.

No real change on the new trackbed area though. Agreed that photographic opportunities might be reasonable but I think you'll still need a set of steps ...

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Richard E said:

Ah, I'd wondered what the balls were that were up by the cement pump yesterday. Noted that they were using two piece rebar columns under the A15 yesterday due to limited headroom. Even then they'd chopped about a foot off one of the sections! They were having some problems with the cement pumping due to a, what can I say, misunderstanding about when to pump concrete or not.

The knitting of rebar on Lincoln Road has progressed quite well since then too.

No real change on the new trackbed area though. Agreed that photographic opportunities might be reasonable but I think you'll still need a set of steps ...

I still cannot see where the space is on the new bridge for the mains water pipe that is supposedly being moved from its present position just west of the old bridge.  The rebar on the cross spans look very near the same height of the existing Lincoln Road bridge surface.  The blue valves that were installed many months ago just below the surface either side of the bridges dictate that the pipe will be on the west side.

• Like 1