East Coast Mainline Blockade for Werrington Junction diveunder

I tried to double-check the above link's information, of the DfT's own TWOA list. Werrington is not even mentioned. So I wonder where the chap who operates the TWAnsport site has managed to get his info. Anyone else found it somewhere?

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Transport And Works Act Approval granted today;

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/728704/network-rail-werrington-grade-separation-order-decision.pdf

Approval is one thing.  Funding is a different matter entirely.

Edited by 4630

• RMweb Premium

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/728704/network-rail-werrington-grade-separation-order-decision.pdf

It makes quite interesting reading. Para 27 states that funding is in pace and is likely to remain so. The other point is that some things haven't changed in 150 years. The only outstanding objection is from one of the landed gentry concerned about the effect on his sporting activities during construction. It's a wonder he hasn't demanded an ornamental tunnel to hide the new line.

Jamie

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

It makes quite interesting reading. Para 27 states that funding is in pace and is likely to remain so. 

Jamie

Thanks Jamie.  I'd missed that paragraph when I skim read through the document earlier.

Though the cynic in me wonders what will happen to the projects actual costs versus the available funding once Network Rail and its chosen contractors eventually start work on site.

On a positive note, at least the project can make further progress now which in the long run should benefit the ECML.

• Like 2

It would appear funding is almost certain (barring economic disaster or radical, unforeseen change to the ORR proposals for CP6). The Hendy Review proposed (and NR continues to propose) completion of the Werrington project in late 2020. Given that SoS approval was not expected until Autumn 2018, they are some 3 months or so ahead of that curve. The conditions applied to the Consent do not appear onerous, and the breathing space of 42 days (from yesterday I think) for any appeal, does not prevent the initial preliminaries (such as the archeological search) to commence.

Completion in c.18 months looks a little heroic to me, given that revision to the engineering planning dates and possession application deadlines within or outwith the RotR, are involved, but the Consent allows 5 years for commencement (not completion) and CP6 allows for funding at the revised figure, which is at 2017 prices (I think - not certain about that, given only a very brief summary is available), but that would normally include a provisional figure for real inflation on outturns. ORR mid-CP reviews also allow for additional sums (within the "efficient" judgement) for inflationary increases reasonably unforeseen.

Given this is included along with 4 tracking between (part of ) Huntingdon and Peterborough, and upgrades to the Down Slow, all to more or less the same timescale, I believe funding will not be an issue (unless bid finalisation produces some real surprises, unlikely in a straightforward scheme like this), but gestation could be. I remember the Hitchin Flyover scheme (in which I had an initial design development involvement, when we discovered the original scheme would involve the demolition of part of a school, or was it a hospital?....as the original gradient/radii calculations, from BR days, were found to be non-compliant) seemed to drag on and on, but then suddenly it happened, almost miraculously. No need for Jesus here, I think, just a decent arborologist.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

According to a post I've just seen on Facebook Grayling has just given his approval for the scheme. If this link works there should be a short video from Network Rail with a VR drive through on the new lines.

https://www.networkrail.co.uk/feeds/network-rail-plan-to-improve-east-coast-main-line-gets-the-green-light/

Here is the video

https://www.networkrail.co.uk/werrington

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208

According to a post I've just seen on Facebook Grayling has just given his approval for the scheme. If this link works there should be a short video from Network Rail with a VR drive through on the new lines.

https://www.networkrail.co.uk/feeds/network-rail-plan-to-improve-east-coast-main-line-gets-the-green-light/

Here is the video

https://www.networkrail.co.uk/werrington

Jamie

He gave it in July Jamie, but nothing can start on the ground (apart from investigative and prep work) until after 7 September, due to the appeal period.

I cannot find anything on the NR site as yet, stating actual possessions and works plan. Just a statement proposing completion in "2020". Anyone seen anything more detailed yet?

He gave it in July Jamie, but nothing can start on the ground (apart from investigative and prep work) until after 7 September, due to the appeal period.

I cannot find anything on the NR site as yet, stating actual possessions and works plan. Just a statement proposing completion in "2020". Anyone seen anything more detailed yet?

The NR document anouncing authorisation, linked in Jamie's post above, states "expected to be competed by early 2021"

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Just a bit of an update.

Lot of activity on the west side of the junction, existing drain filled in to accommondate the up and down Stamford lines.

New squiggly drain cut to house all those displaced newts and other homeless animals

pan.jpg.6a0cb5fc0f6b88bf0ebee743bbab6f40.jpg

Some before and after photos

1a.jpg.f8dcdf0699d61e98106748cf8da81f41.jpg

1b.jpg.b8b984fb8a665e98b773707e71787e5c.jpg

1c.jpg.d07e1af699fe91dab63c506e86445265.jpg

1d.jpg.af8b81140a99d02b270ec2f4fdd7e7bc.jpg

2a.jpg.42ad193b3f3bac44597d598158bdc5bf.jpg

2b.jpg.399cc7a1deda2c6ef51b9a4dc6f7fc06.jpg

2c.jpg.750c94f027c8d733e815aa2111ce1d91.jpg

3a.jpg.f6abbcf2a6456aa067471e8ada0942a7.jpg

3b.jpg.a1328a1367b7b663932f83f845610747.jpg

• Like 3