East Coast Mainline Blockade for Werrington Junction diveunder

10 hours ago, corneliuslundie said:

"What will we do when it's finished?"

I think the three main contributors should get together and produce a book, the definitive work on the project.

Jonathan

PS The only problem might be that most of those of interested have been following this thread.

Wiv mi speelink it wud tek ten years to prooth read :jester:

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

A Lincoln Road report.

Part of the new bridge parapet has been cast, it is being done in 4 sections each side.

IMG_9920

IMG_9930

IMG_9931

Whilst I was there this bit of shuttering was craned in.

IMG_9946

It looks as if they have excavated a bit more under the A15 and in towards the new bridge.

IMG_9933

The piles have been exposed.

IMG_9934

And they were working on shaping the top of the cutting either side.

IMG_9935

IMG_9936

In doing this soil that was removed a few days ago was being brought back on site.

IMG_9943

IMG_9942

And as I was walking back I noticed that there were new gates across the haul road towards Glinton Junction.

IMG_9945

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 4

1 hour ago, Richard E said:

A Lincoln Road report.

Part of the new bridge parapet has been cast, it is being done in 4 sections each side.

IMG_9920

In doing this soil that was removed a few days ago was being brought back on site.

IMG_9943

And as I was walking back I noticed that there were new gates across the haul road towards Glinton Junction.

IMG_9945

The new parapets look quite high, so might need the trusty old box to stand on after its done, although by the time the road surface is brought up to the same level as the old bridge then maybe it won't be so bad.

All the spoil that was removed earlier from near the A15 was mainly light clay and sandy stuff above the heavy clay.  What they are doing now is bringing in the heavier soil and compacting it back up to the previous level before eventually digging it out again to form the shape of the ramp and side of the cutting.  It was noticable that each load brought in was inspected and if the the soil was too light it was rejected and sent back to the heap to be exchanged for heavier stuff.

The mystery of the disappearing ballast has been solved.  The very large heap that was next to the Joint Line was moved over the weekend to join the existing heap that was 20 yards away on the other side of the haul road.  It is hard to believe that as there doesn't look as much as the original pile. :scratchhead:

The switches for Glinton Junction which where supposed to be delivered Saturday night and which couldn't be seen anywhere near the junction yesterday have been found.:declare:

They have been left near the old platelayers hut on the Joint, viewed from Hurn Road footbridge.  Here is a recap of the timetable for laying those switches, so should be a bit of action to come.

2020-10-07_19-09-34.jpg.964ec6d1893235844d426fba9cd31ec0.jpg

IMG_6315c.jpg.17381ef46aa68c8f03b424ab95ee67d4.jpg

IMG_6317c.jpg.61362b3e6a6bc4cb8369444f07f0cd66.jpg

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 4

One of my Youtube subscribers has commented on the boring of holes in the sheet piling which is shown in the video at the top of this page.  My initial thoughts that they were for relieving water pressure may well be correct.

He posted this link https://www.sheetpilinguk.com/sheet-pile-sales/jet-filter-weep-holes/

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 5

13 minutes ago, LNERGE said:

There was a long welded rail train delivering rail last night on the down Spalding and some hollow bearers fitted in both Spalding roads last night. They should be visible from Lincoln Road bridge.

I heard some noise from the GNGE this morning that sounded like work was under way in that vicinity.

• RMweb Premium

A further visit today, a bit I've noticed.

Starting at Cock Lane it is very wet, they have sunk a sump to pump the water out.

IMG_9952

And the concrete base of the diveunder continues to grow.  It certainly looks as if this will be slab track as I cannot see a normal ballasted line being laid on top of the slabs they have cast.

IMG_9950

Two chaps are still diligently drilling holes in the steel piles. They are very precisely marked too.

IMG_9949

IMG_9922

And the concrete pumping is still under way.

IMG_9925

Over at Lincoln Road it looks as if they have started on clearing the soil barrier between the dive under and Glinton Junction west of Lincoln Road.

IMG_9928

S&T were on site too looking at wiring in the new lineside cabinets.

IMG_9954

The casting of the new bridge sidewalls doesn't seem to have gone quite to plan in at least one place.

IMG_9953

As for the section under the A15 they have moved in some pumps to try and drain the area which is very wet.

IMG_9956

The piles are further exposed.

IMG_9957

IMG_9958

It now gives a feel for the final line and depth of the cutting here I think.

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 6

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Richard E said:

I've just been sent the attached showing the completed box ready for the move under the ECML in January.

What are those  circular  structures on either side of the box?

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
36 minutes ago, highpeakman said:

What are those  circular  structures on either side of the box?

Don't quote me on it but there is supposed to be a siphon under the box and/or cutting for the spring that lies close to the joint line, I wonder if they are connected with that and the drainage of the dive under.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Richard E said:

Don't quote me on it but there is supposed to be a siphon under the box and/or cutting for the spring that lies close to the joint line, I wonder if they are connected with that and the drainage of the dive under.

Thanks. That would explain them. I look forward to hearing more about that part of the work in time.