East Coast Mainline Blockade for Werrington Junction diveunder

9 minutes ago, melmerby said:

No work going on at all?

No sign of much today. One or two workers at the far end of the northern trench of the dive under.

Edited by Crun

At Lincoln Road, Anglia Water are exposing the previously installed valves for the water main and a rather large supply of 630mm diameter pipe has arrived.

IMG_7295c.jpg.3f68287261686932720df5dfc2d1218e.jpg

IMG_7287c.jpg.5d8f05bd47eac2bd3e2e6fc0454e1fda.jpg

IMG_7292c.jpg.ed62f8a67b3573c5dc0f1aa37c8eb54f.jpg

The ramp towards Glinton Junction from Lincoln Road is getting some ballast laid.

IMG_7289c.jpg.49c28425c3ed252eca6746fd3dd6e162.jpg

IMG_7312c.jpg.a0b29e4e223881c692f77541f4b35916.jpg

I wonder what these marker posts are for?  I initially thought they were lengths in 'chains' going by the CH, but a chain is 22yards so it's not that, anyone know?

IMG_7308posts.jpg.2e77c901a842cd9b4062eb7879d9b645.jpg

Under the A15 road bridge at Hurn Road the new retaining wall is getting a polish up.

IMG_7296c.jpg.3f2a159a95963cdbc2d057ad50799205.jpg

IMG_7300c.jpg.0f3192263bca93d7dfa20f821ebc3b18.jpg

North of the dive under towards Hurn Road footbridge more land is being cleared in the wide way.

IMG_7302c.jpg.87c5d9c77d9426b90e737bf5add3c862.jpg

At the Hurn Road compound a lot of ballast was being taken towards the dive under access tunnel.

IMG_7305c.jpg.c5decc26f65a7ef5f811d722b5e2b81b.jpg

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Donington Road said:

I wonder what these marker posts are for?  I initially thought they were lengths in 'chains' going by the CH, but a chain is 22yards so it's not that, anyone know?

Look like chains as you can count in 20s and 80 ch = 1 mile but they don't look 22yd apart and they don't tie in with the NR chainage of that line which starts at 79m 34ch at Werrington Junction

EDIT

It can't be taken off the Midland line either as Marholm Junction will be around the 20 mile mark.

Edited by melmerby
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
55 minutes ago, Donington Road said:

At Lincoln Road, Anglia Water are exposing the previously installed valves for the water main and a rather large supply of 630mm diameter pipe has arrived.

IMG_7292c.jpg.ed62f8a67b3573c5dc0f1aa37c8eb54f.jpg

I wonder if the sheer number of pipes is because they've had the problems with the main they ruptured and are having to lay new pipe further back than expected. Thinking about it it almost looks as if the pipe they hit is part of an additional main laid to increase capacity.

As for the markers I am inclined to think they are site internal and not related to any railway distances.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, melmerby said:

Look like chains as you can count in 20s and 80 ch = 1 mile but they don't look 22yd apart and they don't tie in with the NR chainage of that line which starts at 79m 34ch at Werrington Junction

EDIT

It can't be taken off the Midland line either as Marholm Junction will be around the 20 mile mark.

Likely to be a "project" measurement. There will be a project "datum" somewhere (e.g. an existing mile post) which will be "zero" on a GA (General Arrangements) drawing that all disciplines will refer to. Although the "track mileage" is imperial (miles, chains, etc.), the project linear measurements will be "metric". So the markers in the photo are likely to be metres from the project datum. 

Edited by iands
typo
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
33 minutes ago, iands said:

Likely to be a "project" measurement. There will be a project "datum" somewhere (e.g. an existing mile post) which will be "zero" on a GA (General Arrangements) drawing that all disciplines will refer to. Although the "track mileage" is imperial (miles, chains, etc.), the project linear measurements will be "metric". So the markers in the photo are likely to be metres from the project datum. 

I believe the ECML was re-surveyed into metric some time back but most markers will probably (?) still be miles

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
19 minutes ago, melmerby said:

I believe the ECML was re-surveyed into metric some time back but most markers will probably (?) still be miles

May have been resurveyed, but line mileage is still imperial as per the SAs. Projects have used "metres" for measuring for years, but the line mileage remains miles and chains. However, OHL do use "metric" on their structures (ECML at least).

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
25 minutes ago, melmerby said:

Everything related to engineering projects on the railway has been done in metric for decades.

Imperial measurements in official documents only exist when referencing a particular place on the existing network which will obviously be in miles and chains. Any other distances measured from that reference point will be in metric - hence the default distance between the AWS and the signal to which it applies is officially 183 meters and must be measured as such NOT 200 yards (even though many rail staff may well use the latter as a handy description)

Edited by phil-b259
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

Regarding the signage, If the distances are metric, measured from a datum point.  Taking a random sign from the photo such as CH 3700 as being 3,700 metres, that would put the datum point at the A47 road bridge over the ECML, at that point is the last cross-over on the railway from Peterborough Yards and ECML to the Stamford lines. :scratchhead:

• Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, EdChap said:

Out of curiosity, why is one part of the new retaining wall, under the A15 bridge, higher than the rest of the wall?

Ed

I don't know why and there is no obvious reason I can see at the moment.

On the north side retaining wall, the kink at the beginning of the wall before it went under the bridge wasn't clear what it was for, but I now understand that a signal is to be placed there in the recessed part.

IMG_7299k.JPG.9816af822e333945397fc3e67df97ef8.JPG

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

I was thinking that the higher section of wall was a debris precaution in the case of an accident as the bridge is a lot closer to the trackbed on the southern side compared to the northern side. It kind of has some logic as it protects the bridge pier in the direction of travel but ...

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

And for today we have ....

The valves either end of the Lincoln Road bridges are now visible and the pipes are ready to link up on the western side.

IMG_1988

IMG_1994

And on Lincoln Road Anglian Water are happily welding pipes into longer sections. The stack pictured by Mick seemed to have 'lost' just two sections so they have only just started on this aspect of the work.

IMG_1991

Under the new bridge they are getting the reinforcing mat fitted ready for the concrete wall to be put in place. The generator was running the masonry drill for the clips to hold the matting that were being installed on the other side of the trackbed.

IMG_1990

The side walls are also being readied for the reinforcing mat to be fitted. That looks like foam extrusion going inbetween the piles.

IMG_1997

Under the A15 they are backfilling behind the newly cast wall. I wonder if they'd miss the whacker plate, I could find a use for that for about a week at the moment.

IMG_1992

It also seems as if the fences/barriers in use are considered as disposable judging by the contents of one skip. Some of them look as if they've had one of the tracked cranes or a bulldozer run them over.

IMG_1996

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 3

3 hours ago, Richard E said:

And for today we have ....

And on Lincoln Road Anglian Water are happily welding pipes into longer sections. The stack pictured by Mick seemed to have 'lost' just two sections so they have only just started on this aspect of the work.

IMG_1991

That looks an interesting set up.  It would have been good to see how they lifted the pipe after welding.

Under the new bridge they are getting the reinforcing mat fitted ready for the concrete wall to be put in place. The generator was running the masonry drill for the clips to hold the matting that were being installed on the other side of the trackbed.

IMG_1990

I see there is yet another sump in the background having water pumped out!

Soon be more sumps than natural springs at this rate.

The side walls are also being readied for the reinforcing mat to be fitted. That looks like foam extrusion going inbetween the piles.

IMG_1997

I like the patterns on the piles where they used different methods of drawing the core bit out as the crocrete was setting.

• Like 3

From another forum:

"It looks as though a new signalled move is being installed to allow trains on the up fast and up slow to cross over at Tallington, and run along the down slow in the up direction and onto the up Stamford and into the station, presumably to keep some form of service running whilst the blockade is on. The new signal and associated speed signs are currently bagged over."

Any comments welcome.

• Informative/Useful 2

I was given this letter today which I presume has been posted to those living in the Walton area.

I have not received any letters recently, although in the text of this letter it appears that work will be ongoing between Walton and Hurn Road, but looking at the reference on the letter it states ECML 78m 53ch to 78m 63 ch which is quite a specific area.  This is the location of Marholm Junction which I have marked on a Google map below.  Although it does not say explicitly in the timetable (like it did for installing switches at Glinton Junction) I think this is the installation of Marholm Junction.  The five day shut down, 24th December to 29 December must be for the installation of switches.

letter1.jpg.c3a9beecd4f303ee8752f9cce9c9badf.jpg

letter2.jpg.71d77423460f34a917001db05344e0af.jpg

distance.jpg.60e747b078c5039abe0375c2c74798e7.jpg

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 5