East Coast Mainline Blockade for Werrington Junction diveunder

Peterborough rail news in Rail magazine. Work has begun to clear two freight yards ahead of their new use as storage facilities for redundant trains. They are known as Eastfield Yard and Westwood Yard.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Crun said:

Peterborough rail news in Rail magazine. Work has begun to clear two freight yards ahead of their new use as storage facilities for redundant trains. They are known as Eastfield Yard and Westwood Yard.

Oh dear, more graffiti canvas being brought in then. It won't take long for the stock to have its livery obliterated. It'll probably be exacerbated by the fact that a lot of undergrowth has been cleared between the yards and Bourges Boulevard making any stored stock easily visible from the road.

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

3 hours ago, Crun said:

Interesting, as basically that is all they have been used for, for several years now, at least for freight stock.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

3 hours ago, Richard E said:

Oh dear, more graffiti canvas being brought in then. It won't take long for the stock to have its livery obliterated. It'll probably be exacerbated by the fact that a lot of undergrowth has been cleared between the yards and Bourges Boulevard making any stored stock easily visible from the road.

If the were to 'wrap' the bodysides in cheap clear vinyl before they go into storage it would actually save quite a fortune in graffiti  removal and repainting when they are needed back in service............or is that too easy!

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, BrushVeteran said:

If the were to 'wrap' the bodysides in cheap clear vinyl before they go into storage it would actually save quite a fortune in graffiti  removal and repainting when they are needed back in service............or is that too easy!

Why does it need to be clear? Anything that isn't flammable or toxic or difficult to remove will do. I'm sure that if the owners thought it worthwhile, they would have done something like this which has been around for years. https://www.graffiti-guard.net/en/graffiti-protection.html

• Informative/Useful 2

On 29/12/2020 at 19:18, Crun said:

East Coast Upgrade on Twitter: "Now that the first tracks have been re-installed at London King’s Cross, the tamper has ensured they’re correctly aligned and the new ballast is even. We’re using 648 tonnes of new ballast during our #EastCoastUpgrade work to replace the Camden Sewer beneath the tracks here. https://t.co/bgMX5nqebL" / Twitter

East Coast Upgrade on Twitter: "And that’s a wrap! Our major #ChristmasRailWorks at London King’s Cross are complete and a full train service will return in the morning. It’s been a key part of our £1.2bn #EastCoastUpgrade to deliver quicker, more frequent, more reliable journeys https://t.co/X4WAXtQ1G2 https://t.co/ud8oi5WpHl" / Twitter

Edited by Crun
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the update, from  the numbers on site it looks as if they are just biding their time until the box is in place now.

Just a handful from me, they were starting to face the bridge abutments yesterday, it was bitterly cold on site, and I wasn't quite quick enough with the camera when I first arrived to get a picture of these two shovelling water into a bucket!

IMG_2086

Also the pipe at one end of the bridge has been undermined by the sheer volume of water recently. I'm not sure why the large pipe was laid this side as well as it doesn't, at present, seem to have any use.

IMG_2087

It looks as if they are still doing some work in the area of the box reception pit.

IMG_0050

And in the southern ramp. Whilst not visible in this shot there were a couple of workers making a bit of noise building the railings along the top of the piling alongside the final alignment of the Up Stamford.

IMG_0051

Edited by Richard E
  • Like 12

Nice photos Richard.  Do keep yourself safe though.

It is nice to see some orange army back on site after their holidays.  It has been rather bleak over christmas without them.

I think the surplus large pipe over Lincoln Road bridge is insurance policy should future demand increase.  You have to remember that the original pipe was laid before Werrington Village expanded in the 70's and there was never any industry apart from the Combex toy factory.

20 hours ago, Donington Road said:

page1.jpg.ea9f713039574d05cac6c3f21a2f9a5a.jpg

page2.jpg.640b5dfcba7cf1cef2dc893e7f6f9355.jpg

page3.jpg.4e4da13ba8ba27e2ebf6abfb9d64883e.jpg

Lots of activity to look forward to.  I hope they publish plenty of photographs and films. Thanks Mick. 

Edited by Crun
  • Agree 1

On 03/01/2021 at 21:06, Crun said:

East Coast Upgrade on Twitter: "And that’s a wrap! Our major #ChristmasRailWorks at London King’s Cross are complete and a full train service will return in the morning. It’s been a key part of our £1.2bn #EastCoastUpgrade to deliver quicker, more frequent, more reliable journeys https://t.co/X4WAXtQ1G2 https://t.co/ud8oi5WpHl" / Twitter

https://www.networkrailmediacentre.co.uk/news/1000-workers-deliver-vital-improvements-for-passengers-at-kings-cross-over-christmas-network-rail-reaches-major-milestone-on-gbp-1-2billion-east-coast-upgrade

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, PenrithBeacon said:

Has the hole for the already been excavated or will they be excavating while pushing?

From the 16th to 24th of this month they will lift the ECML, dig a trench, push the box into place, fill and cover and then re-lay the ECML over the top. The trench is going to be about 3' wider than the box to minimise disturbance and subsequent settlement to the surrounding ground.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

17 minutes ago, Richard E said:

Another picture, from social media (courtesy of LNER), of the box ready for the big push.

Despite living absolutely nowhere near I've been following this fascinating thread for ages and I still can't get over the size of the thing that they're going to move. It's absolutely enormous, must weigh many, many tonnes but it moves!

I do a different kind of engineering but I am in awe of those who come up with seemingly ridiculous ideas like this and then can make it work.

• Like 4

On 03/01/2021 at 21:06, Crun said:

A time lapse video:

https://twitter.com/ECMLupgrade/status/1346909648264323074?s=19

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, Phil Himsworth said:

Despite living absolutely nowhere near I've been following this fascinating thread for ages and I still can't get over the size of the thing that they're going to move. It's absolutely enormous, must weigh many, many tonnes but it moves!

I do a different kind of engineering but I am in awe of those who come up with seemingly ridiculous ideas like this and then can make it work.

11,000 tonnes according to the information I've seen. It is also the first curved box push, certainly in the UK if not in Europe.

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

An end of week update. Only looked at Lincoln Road though as I've strained a leg muscle so covering any real distance is painful. I was out to go to the dentist as I've had intermittent toothache for a week. The news isn't good, it's coming out on Monday, got antibiotics to take until then ...

We were a bit premature thinking the second larger pipe was installed 'just in case' as they are putting the pipework through it today.

IMG_2089

IMG_2096

Anglian Water are assembling the pipework in situ.

IMG_2093

There has been a little bit of excavation on the alignment for the pipes to join the valve on the north side of the bridge.

IMG_2094

Ballast is still being delivered as well.

IMG_2091

And the bridge abutment wall cladding in brick is moving ahead.

IMG_2088

Finally it looks to me as if the large cranes have moved towards the land bridge across the dive under line.

IMG_2095

• Like 9
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

2 hours ago, Richard E said:

An end of week update. Only looked at Lincoln Road though as I've strained a leg muscle so covering any real distance is painful. I was out to go to the dentist as I've had intermittent toothache for a week. The news isn't good, it's coming out on Monday, got antibiotics to take until then ...

Sounds as though you are falling to bits Richard.:O

We cannot afford you to go AWOL at this critical time of the project.:declare:

2 hours ago, Richard E said:

We were a bit premature thinking the second larger pipe was installed 'just in case' as they are putting the pipework through it today.

IMG_2089

Perhaps it makes sense to put the blue pipe in place then cap it off, perhaps with valves either end.

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Donington Road said:

Perhaps it makes sense to put the blue pipe in place then cap it off, perhaps with valves either end.

So presumably the steel pipe is just armour for the plastic pipe due to it's closeness to the surface.

• Agree 2

Some photos today from Trackside ECML taken from Hurn Road.

Plenty of ballast and sand accumulated just north of the dive-under.  Another large heap of ballast int the background at Cock Lane footbridge.

DSC_0444.jpg.0cb1bf37d8dbf6de1e1b92b7fa1a583f.jpg

Overhead line machinery gathering at the temporary crossing next to Hurn Road footbridge.

DSC_0433.jpg.1faa10609b2f313de0b47d1ac550d38e.jpg

More heavy machinery gathering at the north ramp of the dive-under.

DSC_0447.jpg.9adef004a8b4e8518360470d1f5d1bac.jpg

DSC_0465.jpg.b9cbb9e5805b94ebbc28c12fe10d5fd9.jpg

Two temporary white buildings have been erected, presumably for the workers to use during the big push that starts at midnight on Friday.

1065842352_panoofthesite(2).jpg.6ed7ef5cae7cdfbb2ccea401345e4abc.jpg

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 2

More photos from Trackside ECML.

The trackbed from Glinton Junction to Lincoln Road hasn't changed much.

DSC_0454.jpg.3ddf2bbb67fb3f8f0b902e483b86a58e.jpg

The brick facing of the new Lincoln Road bridge is progressing.  Neat brickwork IMO.

DSC_0456.jpg.f0129c5d155794d22ccb094ee21fa204.jpg

DSC_0457.jpg.1e2559dc200e2596fa2094c7277e26f7.jpg

Well, they did cap the blue pipe, but not with what I was expecting.  Perhaps they will bury the valve later. :scratchhead:

DSC_0459.jpg

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Not surprised to see the valve on there. I'm guessing a T piece into the one down the side of the bank to the right and the other side of the bridge. They could even slew the pipe over as it seems fairly flexible from what I saw.

I'd noticed the white marquee when I was over on Friday but didn't remark on it.

Sitting here feeling a bit miserable. Dentist changed appointment to this morning and I'm nursing a sore jaw and cheek at the moment, at least the toothache has gone. Seems I've got rather substantial roots on my teeth ...

And to add to the delights I am not allowed alcohol at the moment either as it might cause the wound to bleed.

Must try and get out though especially during the blockade if I'm allowed. New filter masks ordered and arrived too.

Oh, the box is going to move at 150cm an hour according to the latest Twitter info. It was accompanied by another aerial photo using a slightly wider view. Also the cross-industry review of readiness for the project met today to check on progress, they are ready to start as soon as they are given the go ahead.

ErcgLvVXUAEEjck.jpeg.da27ec0b941a1127f6591435017a676b.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Friendly/supportive 1