Is 3D printing over hyped ?

Mention of the long print time for seems to occur a lot. Is that really an issue? Do you need to monitor it the whole time? Otherwise its a bit like a dishwasher, set itt going when you go to bed and get up in the morning to the finished article.

For the first print it's a good idea to pay attention, but on subsequent prints I usually watch the first couple of layers then go watch the telly or log on to Facepuke. (Actually, I hardly ever use FB.)

It's best not to go to bed with a print running or leave a printer completely unsupervised. There are some high temperatures involved.

There have been warning about leaving washing machines running overnight. I think that given the length of time 3D printers are on then it is worth thinking about. Another reason why I went down the Shapeways path.

Unfortunately we tend to take electricity for granted, especially as so many safeguards are(in theory ) built in. There was a similar case, I think in one magazine about an electronic timer for a heater in a clubroom, and the timer did not switch off properly. Couple this with the energy used(and therefore heat generated) by most computer based systems(including mobile phones), then you need to be far more careful these days. And to think in the 30s they used to have model railways running on the equivalent of mains voltage, not 12v.

Archived