Sharp Stewert GCR Tank loco

it's not so much that these are difficult kits, more that they are very poor kits  comprising wonky brass etchings (hand-drawn artwork,  anyone ?!) coupled with very nice turnings and BLW castings. As detailed elsewhere (sorry, but I can't find the link but Quarryscapes will remember as he provided some useful critique), I've managed to produce a couple of FR engines from this kit but I really wouldn't recommend it as an initial etched brass build. That said, the tender goes together much more easily that the locomotive itself and I've still got one in stock basically for the Sharp Stewart standard 4w tender.

On the topic of soldering, I would agreement with the other comments and just add an observation from Cyril Freezer, who said that if you can model in card, you can model in sheet metal with the caveat that the latter is actually easier as you can rectify your mistakes more easily ! 

If you search 'headache inducing twins' (title of the thread) in the Kit and scratchbuilding thread you'll find my overview, the short version being if you want a Cambrian loco build it yourself and forget about the kit. 

I might have a 3D printed one available at some point in the future, if I can bring myself to finally sit down and draw one! I drew an etched chassis for one in 2007, have subsequently reworked that several times and as yet still have not committed anything to metal. I will get there, but I have a lot of distractions! 

• RMweb Gold

If you search 'headache inducing twins' (title of the thread) in the Kit and scratchbuilding thread you'll find my overview, the short version being if you want a Cambrian loco build it yourself and forget about the kit. 

I might have a 3D printed one available at some point in the future, if I can bring myself to finally sit down and draw one! I drew an etched chassis for one in 2007, have subsequently reworked that several times and as yet still have not committed anything to metal. I will get there, but I have a lot of distractions! 

Any 3D kits of Cambrian locos I will need at least one, and possibly two, but I may try scratchbuilding in the meantime.

• RMweb Gold

I've just bought the Cambrian 2-4-0T chassis kit from them so they are still trading and, more pertinently, still have this item in stock.

When I went on the site probably a year ago before Christmas it said they were running it down and once things had been sold that was it.  There was no such notice when I checked for Edwardian a week or so ago so maybe the business has been sold as a going concern.  I hope so.

• 1 month later...

Just come back from a trip to the NRM's Searchengine having trawled the Sharp Stewart order books from 1855 to 1900 and it looks like there could be a number of different standard designs that they had that I didn't know about. And the ones I did know about were sold to alot of different companies and countries.

As it stands the order of production for our new range of Sharp Stewart locos will be

0-6-0 Tender loco in the following versions As some companies had interchangeable Tenders we will be supplying the loco and the tenders as separate kits to allow the builder to pick and mix

1. Cambrian/Pembroke and Tenby/Manchester and Milford/Furness/Mid Wales/North Staffs/Swansea Vale (MR)/London Chatham and Dover/Denbigh, Ruthin and Corwen Railway(LNWR) As built with weather board only
  2. Furness/Liverpool, Southport and Preston Junction Railway(LYR) As built with Sterling style cab
  3. Cambrian/North Staffs/Brecon and Merthyr Railway/London Chatham and Dover/Denbigh, Ruthin and Corwen Railway(LNWR) As built with cab
  4. Furness 4th rebuild
  5. Cambrian rebuild
  6. North Staffs rebuild
  7. Furness Style 4 wheel Tender
  8. Cambrian Style 4 wheel Tender
  9. Cambrian Style 6 wheel Tender

Following on from the 0-6-0 will be the 2-4-0/2-4-0T/2-4-2T  Again tenders differ so they will be available as seperates

1. Cambrian As built with weather board only
  2. Cambrian/Pembroke and Tenby/Manchester and Milford/Furness as built with cab
  3. Cambrian Rebuilt as 2-4-0T
  4. Furness Rebuilt as 2-4-2T
  5. Furness Style 4 wheel Tender
  6. Cambrian Style 4 wheel Tender
  7. Cambrian Style 6 wheel Tender

Cambrian 2-4-0T Small tank

0-6-0T Furness/WM&CQR (GCR) long tank version as built

0-6-0T Cambrian short tank version as built

0-6-0T Furness/WM&CQR (GCR) long tank version with larger boiler and up dated cab(GCR)

All to be done in 7mm with some available in 4mm depending on demand

the 0-6-0 is currently under development  and the 7mm version hopefully available in September.

Marc

• RMweb Gold

Hi Marc,

The Staffy Sharp Stewarts were rebuilt three times prior to scrapping. I think every CME had a go at them!

I've got the details at home I'll update this evening when I get in.

• RMweb Gold

Hi,

What material will these kits be in? In 4mm I would be interested at least in an 0-6-0 tender engine, as built with cab and a rebuilt one plus the relevant tender.  I understand Cam Kits is doing a 2-4-0 tender engine in 4mm in nickel silver.

The kits will be mix media boilers/smoke boxes/fire boxes in resin, footplates/cabs/tender tops etches brass, chassis Nickel silver, with brass, white metal and resin fittings

Marc

Just come back from a trip to the NRM's Searchengine having trawled the Sharp Stewart order books from 1855 to 1900 and it looks like there could be a number of different standard designs that they had that I didn't know about. And the ones I did know about were sold to alot of different companies and countries.

As it stands the order of production for our new range of Sharp Stewart locos will be

0-6-0 Tender loco in the following versions As some companies had interchangeable Tenders we will be supplying the loco and the tenders as separate kits to allow the builder to pick and mix

1. Cambrian/Pembroke and Tenby/Manchester and Milford/Furness/Mid Wales/North Staffs/Swansea Vale (MR)/London Chatham and Dover/Denbigh, Ruthin and Corwen Railway(LNWR) As built with weather board only
  2. Furness/Liverpool, Southport and Preston Junction Railway(LYR) As built with Sterling style cab
  3. Cambrian/North Staffs/Brecon and Merthyr Railway/London Chatham and Dover/Denbigh, Ruthin and Corwen Railway(LNWR) As built with cab
  4. Furness 4th rebuild
  5. Cambrian rebuild
  6. North Staffs rebuild
  7. Furness Style 4 wheel Tender
  8. Cambrian Style 4 wheel Tender
  9. Cambrian Style 6 wheel Tender

Following on from the 0-6-0 will be the 2-4-0/2-4-0T/2-4-2T  Again tenders differ so they will be available as seperates

1. Cambrian As built with weather board only
  2. Cambrian/Pembroke and Tenby/Manchester and Milford/Furness as built with cab
  3. Cambrian Rebuilt as 2-4-0T
  4. Furness Rebuilt as 2-4-2T
  5. Furness Style 4 wheel Tender
  6. Cambrian Style 4 wheel Tender
  7. Cambrian Style 6 wheel Tender

Cambrian 2-4-0T Small tank

0-6-0T Furness/WM&CQR (GCR) long tank version as built

0-6-0T Cambrian short tank version as built

0-6-0T Furness/WM&CQR (GCR) long tank version with larger boiler and up dated cab(GCR)

All to be done in 7mm with some available in 4mm depending on demand

the 0-6-0 is currently under development  and the 7mm version hopefully available in September.

Marc

The kits will be mix media boilers/smoke boxes/fire boxes in resin, footplates/cabs/tender tops etches brass, chassis Nickel silver, with brass, white metal and resin fittings

Marc

Put me down for 2 each with Cambrian in the title in 4mm. Will the you be doing castings for the 4mm ones or will they just be etches only?

• RMweb Gold

Marc

Marc,

Sounds good to me.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Marc,

If it is any use:-

The North Staffordshire had 8 of the tender engines. The first two were of a batch built for the Furness Railway and surplus to requirements (another 2 from this batch were sold to the Mid-Wales Railway.

All were built 1873/74 and supplied with 4 wheeled tenders with 3' 7" dia wheels on a 9' 6" wheelbase, the frames were 17' in length with external springs. These were quickly replace by Angus with 6 wheeled tenders with the same wheel diameter and a 11' + 11' wheelbase.

Longbottom rebuilt them all in 1889/90 with a 4' dia boiler and flush firebox and un-cowled Ramsbottom Safety valves. A full cab was fitted rather than just the weather board of the original. Around this time brakes were fitted to the engine ( with external rodding).

Adams reboilered them again in 1904 - 1906 with a 4' 2" dia boiler.

In one of the re-builds they received a short chimney. 

The first was scrapped in 1916 another 5 going by 1922. The last two survived the grouping being scrapped in 1926 and 1927.

This information was taken from " North Staffordshire Locomotives - An Illustrated History" by Ken Hopkins.

There is some more detail and one photo in original condition with a 6w tender and three photos in final Adams condition.

In "North Staffordshire Railway Locomotives and Rolling Stock" by R.W Rush there is a line drawing of the engine, although whether it is of the Longbottom or Adams rebuild it is hard to tell.

There is also a line drawing of the 4w and 6w tenders although Mr Rush claims only the first two locomotives (the FR ones) received 4w tenders and the 6w tenders were a Sharp Stewart product.

I would be interested in the Longbottom re-build in 7mm, I've been looking for n excuse to give the Staffy run rights to Taddington but a lack of appropriate motive power was delaying that until I got around to scratch building something (i.e. a very looooooooong way off!).

• RMweb Gold

Just to re-iterate my needs.  I have a timetable requirement for 8 locos.  I have recently found out that the 4-4-0s did not venture up the Coast line until 1905.  However as I already have one it is fortunate that I have found evidence of a trial run in 1895.  :whistle:   I have a Seaham class tank and I will somehow cobble together a Volunteer Class.  I will therefore need as a minimum, a Sharps goods, as built with cab, a rebuilt Sharps goods, plus which I did not mention before I need an as built Albion 2-4-0, and a rebuilt Albion 2-4-0.  I will still need another one of some sort but it is a long way ahead as I do not work very quickly and it will be as funds allow.

Also, I had forgotten, or in fact not realised that two of the Sharps Goods went to the LCDR.  They were rebuilt in 1888 but I am not sure their appearance changed too much, and one went to Faversham.  This is even further in the future but I do have an interest in the LCDR, plus three Shepherd Neame closed wagons and need something to pull them, even if only in a diorama.

As noted elsewhere, the Cambrian 0-6-0s are a minefield, but if the basics are right then details are easily changed:

http://coastlinemodels.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/Cambrian-Sharp-Stewarts.pdf

And boy are there some detail differences! The M&M ones are included too. 

So to recap my interest to help gauge numbers:

2x 0-6-0s with weatherboards

2x 0-6-0s with Cambrian Cabs

1x 0-6-0 with Furness Cab

1x 2-4-0 with weatherboard

3x 2-4-0 with Cambrian cab

1x 2-4-0 with Furness / M&M cab

1x Cambrian 2-4-0T (Large)

1x Cambrian 0-6-0T

3x Cambrian 2-4-0T (Seaham)

That's going to hurt my wallet, but will be so worth it! 

Will the Seahams have both cab styles? 

• 3 weeks later...

Both Cambrian versions of the cab wilbe included but the GWR rebuild will not be included as this was done by Agnioria in both 4mm and 7mm.

Marc 

I know Agenoria did do it in 7mm (though I'm not sure it's still available), but I am not sure about 4mm (it's not currently listed by CSP), so is there really no chance of the GW's delicate, aesthetic, cosmetic surgery (aka butchery), in 4mm?

Also, in the other thread in August last year, I think you mentioned Beattie well tanks in development, any chance of that in 4mm?

I know Agenoria did do it in 7mm (though I'm not sure it's still available), but I am not sure about 4mm (it's not currently listed by CSP), so is there really no chance of the GW's delicate, aesthetic, cosmetic surgery (aka butchery), in 4mm?

Also, in the other thread in August last year, I think you mentioned Beattie well tanks in development, any chance of that in 4mm?

If Beattie well takes in original condition or early rebuilds were to be produced in 4mm, I would be unable to resist.  Rather like the Cambrian locos, I can see both prototypical and freelance applications for such a prototype.  

The Beattie was just a 7mm project as there is a 4mm RTR one of the post 1937 rebuild. the 7mm kit does all six variants from 1895 to 1964 ie the 3 rebuilds in both round and square splashers. However if there is the demand for a 4mm version I will add it to the list.

Marc

The Beattie was just a 7mm project as there is a 4mm RTR one of the post 1937 rebuild. the 7mm kit does all six variants from 1895 to 1964 ie the 3 rebuilds in both round and square splashers. However if there is the demand for a 4mm version I will add it to the list.

Marc

I would think there would be, it's a very popular prototype and there is no 4mm kit - and maybe there are enough people who want earlier versions or simply prefer kits anyway. I hope so.

What about the 4mm Cambrian 2-4-0T's, any chance of a GW version? (Hardly compatible with the Beattie I know, flibbertigibbet mind I fear).

There was a mention in the other thread of a pdf catalogue, having been looking at your stuff in Galleries (and trying not to plan a change to 7mm), I would like to get hold of a copy of the list if possible?

• 2 weeks later...

The latest BackTrack magazine, August 2016, has the first article in a series entitled A Chronological Survey of the Sharp Stewart Locomotives of the Camrian Railways by John Reohorn. It seems very thorough so far and well illustrated. I don't know how many parts there will be, but the first one has only covered from 1858 to 1863 in seven pages. The Furness Railway occasionally gets referenced throughout as well.

Archived