Radio control for live steam

aaaaaa

I've just updated the radio control system on my live stean Roundhouse Lady Anne.

Haven't run the engine for 10 years since emigrating from the UK to NZ. Recently built a track only to find the R/C gear no longer worked so needed to find a replacement. (Don't leave batteries in the kit for over 10 years)

Looked online and found an Australian supplier (just across the ditch from us) of radio gear designed for model railways.

http://www.rcs-rc.com/

It works brilliantly, is very small in size, and stops me looking like I'm trying to fly a plane!!

The engine drives like a full size steamer (I've done some of that). A short opening, then closing of the regulator, starts the engine moving, then gradually open the regulator to get smooth running.

I've no connection at all with the R/C company, just as a very happy customer.

Lady Anne is a nice loco!

RCS use DelTang electronics which they put into custom built transmitters. They look very good and the electronics inside is well proven so should work well. And they look like loco controllers not aircraft ones!

I do radio control demos in the UK, showing people how to put radio control into small scale locos (4mm and down) but larger scale 0 Gauge and 16 mm modellers are also interested because of this and because it's a lot less expensive than some of the aircraft kits, which have lots of facilities you don't need for locos.

Tony Walsham who runs RCS is an active contributor on the Freerails forum in the US.

Frank

Archived