Do the general public think we're nuts?

Peter Kazmierczak

Been out photographing railways these past few days in West London. 

Is it just me, but are the general public less tolerant of those with a minority hobby? Do they see us as nuts (or worse.....)?

Some examples from this weekend:

* Car drivers honking their horns when they pass

* Driver's mates in white vans who shout "What you doing?" out of their cabs

* Schoolboys on bikes who also ask what you're doing and as they ride away can hear an expression like "gay......."

* Teenage schoolgirls who wanted me to take their picture! I declined..........

* WPC in patrol car drew up alongside me - asked nicely what I was doing. Even put on her blue lights as she was talking with me. Think I proved I was harmless

At least nobody asked if a steam special was due.....

Do they think we are nuts.........no doubt about it, especially as how the hobby is portrayed by the general media.

Stereotyping!

I use to get away with a fair bit, but then a plod car and uniform could open a lot of doors. :)

Mind you, some of the doors you wanted open weren't, and had to be open them with our special key lol. ;)

These days there's a general increase in intolerance towards people who do not conform to the individuals considered norms who are displaying the intolerance. It's not just directed towards those taking photographs. Acceptance, compassion and community spirit are fast disappearing.

G.

• RMweb Gold

It would be interesting to find out what, if any, creative leisure time actives those who are less tolerant might have. And before anyone suggests it the act of procreation doesn't count! 

• RMweb Gold

The ones who give abuse / ridicule are simply demonstrating how stupid THEY are - I once asked a white van man if he enjoyed his hobby of spotting train spotters - he needed a reboot after that as his eyes glazed over and he drove off - I believe he was so deeply affected he actually washed his van.

These days there's a general increase in intolerance towards people who do not conform to the individuals considered norms who are displaying the intolerance. It's not just directed towards those taking photographs. Acceptance, compassion and community spirit are fast disappearing.G.

This sums it up for me I'm afraid. I'm nearly 40 now and have been a rail enthusiast of one type or another since I was about 5. There have been people throughout that time who have said I'm sad, yelled things etc., but it has definitely increased in frequency in the last few years and is tinged with hatred now. Globalisation and the increasing multicultural mix did not increase tolerance.

I do get to have some fun though as I'm often told that "I don't look like a trainspotter", so I get to watch people's confusion as they try to reconcile contradictory things :-)

Can't feel that being honked or shouted at by blokes in white vans, or referred to as "gaylord" by teenage boys, proved anything much either way...

I don't really regard turning on the blue light to talk to trainspotters, as best use of police time either. Given the increasingly common reports of police telling people they are not allowed to photograph things, it doesn't surprise me much either.

So photographing trains is odd behaviour? The countless folk who use mobile phones to take pictures of their lunch or their kittens and paste those all over facebook... they really don't want to know what I think of them...

I reckon people who give grief to us probably give it to anyone they see as different. Stuff them.

Anyone I'd actually want to talk to has expressed nothing except amazement and being impressed when I've shown them the stuff I am building. From retired metal workers, the local coffee shop owner, workmates, my financial advisor, the blokes in the steel and fabrication shops, and the mums and dads at the train park they all think it's great to see someone building something, and even if they're not interested in trains they appreciate the workmanship and skill behind it.

Every person who has seen my shed has basically given the reaction "wow, I wish I could do this!", or "my husband would love this!" I can't recall an adverse reaction when I've said I love trains and build them.

But I get a**sholes shouting at me from cars regardless - when I'm just walking down the street or mowing the lawn. They just can't help themselves if they see someone they think they can safely pick on.

Regards,

David.

• RMweb Premium

The followup question should be "And are they right to think so?" Everyone even vaguely interesting is nuts. I'd far rather be nuts than the words I'd use to describe those who hurl abuse at people for their hobbies.

We live in an ever increasingly brainwashed (and dangerous) society.

Not just trainspotters are targeted. - try owning a 1973 British Leyland car (with 100% Lucas electrics) !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Brit15

I think it is a bit of both. Intolerance to anyone who does not watch Big Brother and other similar TV programs, and the way some railway enthusiasts behave. Mention trains and many think I must be interested in the Flying Scotsman, which does not interest me that much.

One reason I have been trying to push the 'art' angle is to change perception. Trouble is those who don't want to change, on both sides. Anyone with a very narrow view of the world, and a very narrow range of interests is odd to me. For me model railways are now just part of my 3D art world, not much different to those who create fantasy worlds, model, books and in film.

Having worked in IT, I can also say that public perception of people in IT is the classic nerd, not dissimilar to the perception of the train enthusiast. There are actually a lot of similarities on the fringes, but much of what people in IT do, is building projects and seeing them through, and for me that translates to planning, designing and building models. Ironically I now actually get a lot of satisfaction creating my designs for 3D printing. The thing about 3D printing, though, is that when you mention it to people they think it is 'cool'.

Many modellers/trainspotters are just as quick to be very judgmental about football or 'popular culture' and on here we see many examples of intolerance towards a way of doing things even within the same hobby which does not fit with a personal perspective.

• RMweb Gold

My experience has been quite strange. I drive steam engines as one of my hobbies and have experienced so much mickey taking about that over the years....until people are actually around the things and see what I do. Then all of a sudden it becomes the greatest hobby in the world with people commenting how lucky I am or 'how cool is that' etc.

There's nowt so queer as folk...

The competitive nose picking is another matter though....

• RMweb Gold

We live in an ever increasingly brainwashed (and dangerous) society.

Not just trainspotters are targeted. - try owning a 1973 British Leyland car (with 100% Lucas electrics) !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Brit15

I didn't think 1970s Lucas electrics were ever 100%. :jester:

• RMweb Gold

The followup question should be "And are they right to think so?" Everyone even vaguely interesting is nuts. I'd far rather be nuts than the words I'd use to describe those who hurl abuse at people for their hobbies.

I have long followed the maxim that

"There is no such thing as normal, only average; and who wants to be average?"

John

Archived