VTG/Tiphook Steel Coil Telescopic Hood Wagons

Hi All,

Could someone please tell me the name of the blue used on these wagons and if it's available to buy please? Or, is there a paint available that is a close approximation? Also, does anyone produce decals/transfers (call them what you like) for them, both in Tiphook livery and the original VTG? If not, has anyone had custom decals of any kind made, if so, with whom, and what is involved with getting custom decals made?

Regards,

Mark

Before any of the kit/R-T-R versions were available, I scratch-built a pair; one was finished in the original blue and grey scheme, the other in the later blue. I think I used BR blue for the blue-and-grey one;; the other was done in 'Midnight Blue', which I think was the Humbrol interpretation of the USN colour. For transfers, someone like Railtec Transfers might be able to help.

• RMweb Premium

Hi

When I painted my scratchbuilt n gauge ones I used the paint from Hurst Models which were manufactured by Phoenix Precision Paints. They are now part of the standard range

P315 - VTG Bodyside Blue

P316 - VTG Bodyside Grey

P317 - VTG Underframe Grey

Transfers were from my own artwork printed by Brunel Models in Australia. There is a picture of one of mine on the TP Models website here http://www.tpmodels.co.uk/customergallery.html fourth image down.

Cheers

Paul

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

Please accept my apologies for not saying 'thanks' sooner, I'd forgotten I'd posted this!! I'm going to use the Phoenix paints to repaint them and I've contacted Railtec Transfers about the lettering etc. Something I didn't ask - I've been trying to find out when these wagons started to be repainted into the Tiphook livery, all I've managed to find so far is that it was 'sometime in the nineties'. If anyone can be more exact i'd appreciate the help.

Also, how many of these wagons would make up a typical train load and what locos were used for haulage?

Regards,

Mark

Well, for the early/mid-90s at least (might be before your era of interest based on the livery you cite), answer would probably be - how many wagons you got ?

A couple of 1991/92 examples:

post-7232-0-67543000-1462866311_thumb.jpg

post-7232-0-90100700-1462866353_thumb.jpg

Hi All,

Thank you 47406, the pictures are exactly what I need. They're the right period (BR Sectorisation). I have 12 Telescopic Steel Hood wagons and also 4 BBAs (soon to be more). I'll be respraying the Tiphook wagons back to VTG. The 'steel coils' which come with the Dapol wagons will be used on the BBAs and I'm getting the cradles for these from Colin Craig.

Regards,

Mark

Archived