BRM May 2016 + FREE DVD

SteveCole

"Dear David,

Thanks for the message. The information about the beer trains from Burton came from the author. His grasp of Aylesbury's local history is excellent, so I'd be surprised if the reference was incorrect. I note the link to the Railex website on your signature. If you're also a member of Risborough club, maybe you could ask him about it next time you see him?

With regard to the paper, it's exactly the same stock as before. The only difference of any sort is the cover, from which we've removed the glossy finish in favour of a more tactile (and I would argue classier) matt finish. Interestingly, the design is more sophisticated and far less cluttered than it was before. Eliminating the messy, cluttered and disorganised look of the previous design was our No. 1 priority when we discussed and developed the new format. Bearing in mind my previous job, I was also very keen for it to NOT look like Model Rail (and avoid any accusations that I was turning BRM into a clone), and that is definitely the case if you compare the two magazines as they stand today. At the same time, we were fully aware that this is a conservative hobby and so we did not want to introduce anything too radical. However, design is an entirely subjective topic and while the feedback so far has been almost entirely favourable, we know we can't please everyone.

Hope this helps.

Ben"

Yes I know Andrew David well, and drew his attention to the brewery thing last light and he admitted the statement needs correcting. I also raised the term gasometer should be gas holder, Geoff Williams the builder of Aylesbury LNWR uses this term in his own article on the Aylesbury gas works in MRJ No. 37 he should know as he worked for the Eastern Gas Company, the term gasometer has crept in to usage a bit like train station, but prefer the correct term. It is a pity that text and captions were not proof read by others before it was submitted, but generally the layout does look good and I am sure there will be plenty of visitors to see it at Railex.

As for adverts either side of the body of the magazine MRJ still does this as well as Railway Modeller. There is still not too many adverts in MRJ yet it sells for £4.50 so not too sure about the arguments regarding pricing.

Maybe I just like a cleaner look magazine I find that the new look is a bit like a page on a web page filled with tabs and adverts placed over the page, it is very easy to either miss things or if you read something you want to go back to then can't find it. Maybe I just like an article that you read start to finish without sub sections or extended captions.

David

• RMweb Gold

I would agree with David in that the layout of the mag is still too fussy although his comment that he hasn't bought one for a while is telling as it's miles better than it was just a short while ago.

Regarding keeping adverts separate from editorial content, both RM and MRJ manage it and like Mike I think it makes for a much more enjoyable reading experience. I'm sure Ben has tried hard to make BRM distinctive but I struggle to tell the difference between it and MR without looking at the cover.

As for this issue, it's the first I've paid for in a long while (though I get to see them all). I bought it on the basis that Aylesbury LNWR was in it and I wasn't disappointed. Andy Y's photos are excellent and really do the layout justice. The DVD with the layout and historical features are a great companion and, like others, I found Andy's photography feature very useful. I look forward to the next instalment.

Jerry

........ I bought it on the basis that Aylesbury LNWR was in it and I wasn't disappointed. Andy Y's photos are excellent and really do the layout justice. The DVD with the layout and historical features are a great companion .....

Agreed, I visited the layout on a number of occasions, up in the loft, but it could only be accessed via a loft ladder and a small 'ish hole.

In the latter years, Geoff was unable to get to the layout because of the 'difficult' access and this determined me to have a staircase up into my attic. Never regretted it.

Andy Y's photography is very good.

Below - Back in Oct. 1984, Geoff's unpainted 4-6-0 LNWR 'Bill Bailey' running on Penlan Mk2.

It had full working inside motion too, though I believe it was made for Geoff by somebody else, probably a watchmaker.

A washed out print from an album.

post-6979-0-76483000-1462044772.jpg

• RMweb Premium

Picked mine up at Scotch Corner services WHS on way back North on Friday. Plenty around there. Very good edition I thought. Still making my way through it . I don't understand references to looking like MR . Chalk and cheese to me . MR has very cluttered look, while BRM appears much more straight forward .Not bothered by adverts , just skip over them. I note the Bachmann love in continues on Insider , although he appears a bit behind the curve on Hornbys direct selling. While talking to model shops, anyone asked the effect of Bachmann three large increases has had on trade yet?

The trick with the graphite that Phil Parker mentions on the dvd is interesting, I've heard of using it inside bearings but not for cleaning track. I got a chuckle from Phil's comment about it being handy "if your layout is 60ft long and located in a barn surrounded by Snakes"! When is this layout going to be in BRM???

• Administrators

The trick with the graphite that Phil Parker mentions on the dvd is interesting, I've heard of using it inside bearings but not for cleaning track. I got a chuckle from Phil's comment about it being handy "if your layout is 60ft long and located in a barn surrounded by Snakes"! When is this layout going to be in BRM???

February 2015 - Nottingham Victoria.

Nottingham Victoria.jpg

Not a full feature as Andy won't fit into a parcel to be posted over for the photo shoot, but we gave over the Readers Layout section to layouts I saw on my trip to Adelaide to speak at the BRMA convention. Most of the models are huge compared to those in the UK but then they don't have exhibitions or tiny houses like we do.

Mind you, we don't find snakes in the wiring either. In this case a snake that even the Aussies describe as "a bad one"!

Mind you, we don't find snakes in the wiring either. In this case a snake that even the Aussies describe as "a bad one"!

Thanks for that Phil., you've got to love that Australian understatement of what we would probably consider a near-death experience!. 

Bob Williams son of Geoff Williams will be at Railex all weekend to answer any questions on the model of Aylesbury, Mike Williams another son of Geoff will be there on the Sunday only. We will be running the BRM DVD with the Aylesbury parts beside the layout though the weekend.

The prototype info about Aylesbury on the DVD is hidden away in the extras but it well worth watching.

David

The "Supermarket Special" bagged edition this month contains the April dated issue of Garden Rail magazine...about model railways in gardens apparently! ;)

Mine purchased from Morrisons today....and nearby was a stock of last months BRM, the un-bagged solo edition! :scratchhead:

Looks like some good stuff....especially Phil's warning about reading the instructions on stuff like paint strippers! :O

Just as well the situation was fixable.....

Some good Shunter ideas there Phil...

I bought an online copy as the results of the build a loco comp were supposed to be published in the May issue, and there was also a track plan of Bodmin SR (north). Well what a disapointment no results and a totally fictitious track plan.

I have found BRM Mays issue very helpful whilst browsing through it at WH Smiths,.

I would like to point out the work that has gone into Aylesbury to bring it on to the Exhibition stage, many an evening spent by club members rewiring & tidying up the scenery, I don't think the commentary on the video for Aylesbury was well edited.

As for the fake Latin I will leave further comments alone. 

A talk by Andy Y on photography is a must for any MRC, I learnt a lot.

Now looking forward to meeting and greeting at Railex whilst working the car parks.

Ian G

I bought an online copy as the results of the build a loco comp were supposed to be published in the May issue, and there was also a track plan of Bodmin SR (north). Well what a disapointment no results and a totally fictitious track plan.

It was all planned very tight from the end of the voting, the results compilation was done within hours and there for start of business on the Monday morning but unfortunately the page designer was off work so it had to be bumped to the June issue as we had to go to press. It's not been forgotten.

• 1 month later...

Two concerns I have, one is the DVD,buying the copy off the shelf here in Canada and it doesn't play in my DVD player. I assume it is because of the region. Why include it if it is region specific OR make it region free. 

The other was the how to on the mail coach, listed as great first time conversion. There was no mention of decals used, measurements of where to put the roof ventilators. I think it fell a bit short, this was something I wanted to have a go at as it would be a first time conversion but I thought it fell a bit short. 

• RMweb Premium

britfarmer:

I have a small blueray player that plays British region DVDs. It is frustrating, especially on a FREE disk.

I too have a rip in the cover photo where the DVD was glued on. This one seemed to have more glue than the usual 2 stripes. Anyone know what the glue is? It seems pretty good; might like to use it for headlamps.

Archived