Kernow - Bachmann Class 66 Exclusive de-branded DRS

Andy Y

New announcement - Bachmann Class 66 Exclusive Model OO Gauge

Kernow_MRC_66418_1s.jpg

We are pleased to announce we have commissioned Bachmann to produce Class 66 Diesel Locomotive number 66 418 in debranded DRS livery with Freightliner logos and a weathered finish.

The model is the standard Bachmann release with the usual features of directional lighting and a 21 pin DCC socket and has already left China.  It should be with us within 28 days.

This is a limited edition of 504 pieces and is supplied with a numbered certificate of authenticity.

The price for this model will be £174.95 Standard (32-976Z), £194.95 DCC Fitted (32-976ZDC) and £274.95 DCC Sound Fitted (32-976DS).  The digital fitting and digital sound fitting are carried out in our own workshop.

Kernow_MRC_66418_2s.jpg

Kernow_MRC_66418_3s.jpg

• Like 3

I feel the price a little on the high side, considering the costs for the  Rail Express " Rainbow 66 " about £40 cheaper and more complex livery, also  the "Tube 66s " were about £25 cheaper with again some complex liveries.

I feel the price a little on the high side, considering the costs for the  Rail Express " Rainbow 66 " about £40 cheaper and more complex livery, also  the "Tube 66s " were about £25 cheaper with again some complex liveries.

That was then and this is now, labour prices in China are going up week on week and unfortunately model prices have to follow suit.

Announcement of model on this site - 13.29

First response 'it's too expensive' - 14.12

This is getting very repetitive................

I think in this case justified, could go further with soon to delivered{maybe] DRS 66 in very similar livery [i know different companies] will be about £50 cheaper after the usual !5% reductions by model shops.

I was just pointing out the price to the work carried out on the 4 relevant models ,was quite extensive on 3 of them ,

• RMweb Gold

... will be about £50 cheaper after the usual !5% reductions by model shops....

Which is exactly why Kernow are commissioning limited run locomotives.  The levels of discounting that modellers expect only work for the big outlets that can turn a tiny margin into a workable business model.

For smaller traders - who still have rent, salaries and stock to pay for - this just isn't sustainable.  Selling paint and glue is all very well but it's the big-ticket items - locos, trainsets - that pay the bills.  Which is why model shops that just work the "old way" of stocking standard catalogue items are closing all the time.

In my view Kernow are pretty smart operators: by commissioning their own models they can charge what they feel to be a fair price.

Of course, if you really want this livery you could always buy a standard model and respray it.  Or, if you don't enjoy painting, don't have an airbrush and compressor or aren't confident of achieving a comparable standard to a factory finish, accept that the price premium is what you pay to save the bother.

cheers

Ben A.

Edited by Ben A
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

In fairness to Kernow this only looks to be £10 more than the price of a main range Bachmann weathered 66 at SRP (admittedly most of us will pay 15% less than SRP, assuming we want one) which is not bad for a retailer commission. The problem is not Kernow but the Bachmann price rises. Yes, manufacturing costs may have risen but it is at least as much a factor of Bachmann increasing their margins as it is of production cost increases. Given that the development costs for the 66 should have been recovered long ago and given that it is no longer at the leading edge of what model producers can do I must admit I think the Bachmann class 66 SRP looks hard to justify other than because that's what Bachmann believe people will pay. Now clearly, it is for Bachmann to decide their pricing and they can charge whatever they like, but just as Bachmann are free to set their own prices and just as people are free to feel they offer fair value so others are quite within their rights to consider them over priced.

• 3 weeks later...

Couldn't really put it better myself.

Stop complaining and don't buy it if you don't like the price.

At the end of the day, it does get very boring listening to the constant whining of those who think the world owes them a living.

Kernow's a fantastic place, and having family in Cornwall I always try and visit them whenever I'm down, as well as many orders by mail.

And as my usual name might suggest, this has been ordered along with a certain sound fitted Class 47.........

If I change my mind, I can always put them on Ebay to make a profit and upset more people on here!

S.

• Like 1

I've placed an order for one. I don't think the price (as discussed above) is too high. When you look at the cost of what a standard model is of today. If I wanted to have this Freighliner branded DRS coloured 66 I'd have to purchase a standard DRS 66, post it to a wizard to have the magic work applied then have it returned to me - which I'm sure would cost more than what this is advertised at.

I say hats off to Kernow's for taking this step in the current market! :imsohappy:

• RMweb Premium

As I have mentioned on another thread regarding this model you have to consider that because it's weathered that probably takes account of £20 or so of the £175. I personally don't like factory weathered models or weathered models whatsoever if I'm honest. I prefer the pristine/standard finish. For me it's annoying that I would be paying £20 for something that I don't want.

Although it's a very good, unique loco and I completely agree with the above post regarding a respray of this model costing more than £175 and hats off to Kernow for commission Bachmann to produce it. If you think a standard 407 or 412 Compass model is between £90-£100. Then their is postage both ways too and from the resprayer (around £20 for Special Delivery) and then the work to be carried out and weathering if wanted. That's got to be equal if not more than £175 so I don't think anyone can quibble really.

As I mentioned £20 of the £175 is probably for the weathering. If the loco wasn't weathered it would probably be £155 or a bit less which would be more reasonable but it's down to Kernow and what they want to commission Bachmann to produce. You also have to consider that I don't think that DRS would have given the 66/4s a wash before sending them to Freightliner (411-420). I remember seeing them at Midland Road just before Christmas 2011 when they first transferred to Freightliner. They did have a coat of grime and looked very tatty and make do and mend ish livery wise.

I think it's nice that the cab windows are weathered too because from the photos I have seen of the locos in reality they have had some grime build up on the cab windows.

It's also nice that Kernow & Bachmann are replicating the transition liveries between FOCs companies which doesn't happen often and when it does it often goes under the radar.

I personally like to keep up with the liveries and although this livery is now obsolete as of nearly a year ago it's still unique and looks good and maybe a possibility for me.

Nice work between Kernow & Bachmann I would say.

Edited by DRS Crewe On A Mission

As I have mentioned on another thread regarding this model you have to consider that because it's weathered that probably takes account of £20 or so of the £175. I personally don't like factory weathered models or weathered models whatsoever if I'm honest. I prefer the pristine/standard finish. For me it's annoying that I would be paying £20 for something that I don't want.

Although it's a very good, unique loco and I completely agree with the above post regarding a respray of this model costing more than £175 and hats off to Kernow for commission Bachmann to produce it. If you think a standard 407 or 412 Compass model is between £90-£100. Then their is postage both ways too and from the resprayer (around £20 for Special Delivery) and then the work to be carried out and weathering if wanted. That's got to be equal if not more than £175 so I don't think anyone can quibble really.

As I mentioned £20 of the £175 is probably for the weathering. If the loco wasn't weathered it would probably be £155 or a bit less which would be more reasonable but it's down to Kernow and what they want to commission Bachmann to produce. You also have to consider that I don't think that DRS would have given the 66/4s a wash before sending them to Freightliner (411-420). I remember seeing them at Midland Road just before Christmas 2011 when they first transferred to Freightliner. They did have a coat of grime and looked very tatty and make do and mend ish livery wise.

I think it's nice that the cab windows are weathered too because from the photos I have seen of the locos in reality they have had some grime build up on the cab windows.

It's also nice that Kernow & Bachmann are replicating the transition liveries between FOCs companies which doesn't happen often and when it does it often goes under the radar.

I personally like to keep up with the liveries and although this livery is now obsolete as of nearly a year ago it's still unique and looks good and maybe a possibility for me.

Nice work between Kernow & Bachmann I would say.

Couldn't have put it better myself :smoke:

• 3 weeks later...

Time will tell if this is a success.

Before they commission it, they must look at the selling price and decide if interest will be sufficient to make a success of it.

History relates they are very reluctant to discount ltd editions because all that does is pee off those who brought it at full RRP .

If they are still knocking about in two years we will know the answer I guess

• RMweb Premium

Most limited editions do sell out eventually because at some point their retail price becomes lower than the latest standard releases, at which point they are interesting as models for respray, renumber etc.

• RMweb Premium

Just thinking. This topic was started on the 22nd April. It says and has said for a couple of weeks on the Kernow website that the model has left China and they should have it within 28 days. As today it's the 30th May and tomorrow the 31st I would think they should have it now.

Do we think that it arrived with Freightliner Powerhaul 66416 and DRS Revised 66434 last week on that shipment? Could Kernow just be fitting some with DCC Decoders and some with DCC Sound Decoders before advertising the model on their website? Because it does say they are offering a standard ready to run version, DCC Fitted and DCC Sound Fitted.

• RMweb Premium

Just thinking. This topic was started on the 22nd April. It says and has said for a couple of weeks on the Kernow website that the model has left China and they should have it within 28 days. As today it's the 30th May and tomorrow the 31st I would think they should have it now.

Do we think that it arrived with Freightliner Powerhaul 66416 and DRS Revised 66434 last week on that shipment? Could Kernow just be fitting some with DCC Decoders and some with DCC Sound Decoders before advertising the model on their website? Because it does say they are offering a standard ready to run version, DCC Fitted and DCC Sound Fitted.

According to last Friday's KMRC newsletter, it's arrived and awaiting Customs clearance.

As regards, DCC Fitted and DCC Sound versions, my assumption is that they fit the decoder when the model is ordered. I ordered a DCC fitted Limited Edition Class 47 Mammoth and they told me it would be shipped in a few days after the decoder had been fitted.

Edited by brushman47544

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

As a price comparator, the SRP of the ESU HO Class 66 is 399 Euros, or about £332 (or it was, unless they've gone up). That is a full function digital model with synchronised exhaust smoke (surely if the engine is in good order there shouldn't be smoke?) as well as a sophisticated sound system. They are also switchable between AC and DC although I'm not sure that is particularly attractive as Marklin/AC fans are happy enough to buy an AC model, just as the rest of the hobby is happy enough with DC models without provision for AC. However the price differential between this and the Kernow sound fitted model is about £60 give or take depending on the exchange rate. Whether the ESU is worth the extra is a value decision really, I find some of the functionality they provide to be a bit gimmicky, but that's just me. They are very nice though. Something it does indicate is that the difference between OO RTR and European HO is not as wide as it once was, especially given the added functionality of the ESU model.

• 2 years later...