Newton Harbour

EnglishElectricFan

Hello and welcome to Newton Harbour.

This is my view of modelling the Ayrshire coast , with the layout based very loosely on Ayr Harbour. The station gets its name from taking Newton station, which sits at the junction to Ayr harbour.

The layout will be based from 1980 to 1994 enabling different periods of stock to be used for different time scales.The track plan will be simple but have enough scope for operational interest.

Freight will depend on what timescale is being used, but all periods will have plenty of variety as freight will run from Falkland yard into Newton harbour via the triangle at Newton Junction to enable the loco to run round in the loop etc. Also there will be a Road/Rail warehouse at the top of the yard for Van and Box wagon trains, with a couple of sidings.

In the centre between both loops will be a truncated siding used to hold locomotives.The station will have a single mainline platform for Trains to Glasgow, Carlisle and Stranraer, whilst the bay will be solely for local services to Ayr, Kilmarnock etc. ( Class 101, 107 Dmu's).

With Bachmann producing the sealink livery coaches, and blue/grey scotrail to come, the loco fleet of classes 08,20 26,27,37,47 is taking shape, most with sound !

Pushing the realms of fancy a bit far but to help with passenger services, it is assumed that Ferry services use Newton Harbour which also boasts a busy harbour taking all kinds of materials and minerals.The backscene will be a dockside with warehousing and shipping etc.

Just a couple of pictures showing the road overbridge which masks the entrance to the fiddle yard.

Work is currently laying and wiring track at the other end of the layout, where the warehouse, sidings and run round loops are.

Pictures to follow soon.

post-9658-0-26818000-1461498014.jpg

post-9658-0-75887300-1461498076.jpg

Edited by EnglishElectricFan
  • Like 8

This shows the station area, with the main platform loop, the centre siding for holding loco's, and the freight loop at the front which runs up into the warehouse and sidings on the next board. Both loops enable a locomotive to use either from the warehouse as a release road.

post-9658-0-36527100-1461500824.jpg

• Like 5

Work underway on the 2nd baseboard. The 3way point is for the warehouse and two sidings. The passenger platform runround where the 27 is,is accessed by the warehouse and sidings to enable running round etc. The unfinished line will be the freight loop at the fron of the layout. The station platform will finish where the peco logo on the track is.

Wiring is underway, and once all the dropper feed wires are done, the point motors will be wired in. (DCC concepts )

Looks promising, looking forward to seeing how it develops. Do you have a final trackplan yet?

Hi, I have the final plan but not on paper or drawn up on pc softwear (im not great with softwear etc), I will post a pic of the complete layout once all boards are connected to show the track layout  from both ends. There are two scenic boards 130cm by 40cm each (station area), and another two 110cm by 30cm each (warehouse/sidings area).The fiddle yard is two boards of 100cm by 20cm each. (6 boards in total)

Cheers

Just a quick update to those who follow my thread. Things have been slow this last week or so, but I have managed to solder the points at the station throat ready for the DCC concepts point motors. Just need to drill the baseboard, drop the wires, and attach the motors.

All dropper wires are now intact on the two station boards, so next is to wire the power bus along these two boards. I will add more photo's of the wiring under the baseboards as things progress.

On the traction note, I now have a Bachmann split box 40 (at last!) 40129 in weathered blue. i will be adding a sound chip at some point. (Be rude not to!)

Many thanks to those of you who have commented on my thread, keeps me motivated!

post-9658-0-31627100-1462833598.jpg

Edited by EnglishElectricFan
  • Like 1

Morning all, just a few snippets of this weekends work on the layout. This baseboard has now had all dropper wires attached to connecting blocks under the baseboard. The 'mess' of blue wires are for the live frog on the Peco code 75 points. All excess wire will be trimmed once the point motors are attached underneath.

All points have been soldered across the running rail and switch rail to enable better electrical contact.The track plan has slightly changed by replacing the 3way point with a single point, as it looked too cluttered.

All thats left to do now is run the bus wire underneath and connect the wiring for the point motors.

The 3way point is now on the station throat which has given more of a gentle curve to the bay platform, and straightened the line running into the main platform. This board is next on the 'to do list'. Sorry for the lack of pics of the blue diesels,, but will try and upload some more in due course.

Simon

post-9658-0-28392100-1463396478.jpg

post-9658-0-77795900-1463396486.jpg

post-9658-0-93419800-1463396496.jpg

post-9658-0-82960800-1463396506.jpg

• Like 4

Hi

What is the origin of the harbour backscene in one of the photos please?

Ian

Hi ian

The actual description is 'Brighton Docks' by ID backscenes. There is a company in the USA who sell harbour backscenes of European ports, some Irish ones which are quite good, but they are very expensive.Unsure of their name.

Cheers

Simon

A very nice work in progress that, Simon. I'm looking forward to seeing it develop. The shot of that Coal Sector 26 had me fooled for a minute until I saw the unfinished foreground.

Cheers,

Davei

Cheers Dave

If I can get anywhere near your standard I will be more than happy.Your photographs are very inspiring to us all !

Simon

• Like 1