Deffors O gauge 60cm x 244cm (2' x 8')

sir douglas

Post addition 23-11-2021

Deffors was a light railway themed layout with a station and goods yard but as of This summer (from page 12) it has been scrapped down to bare board and is being rebuilt as purely freight/ industrial.

Most of the pages are baren now as well full of dead Flickr links which i may eventually get replaced

---------------------------original-----------------------------------------------------------------

Hi,

Deffors will be 60cm by 223cm O gauge layout, a 3 track sector table, 2 track goods yard, headshunt, station, for anyone not familiar with my "bodging" thread, i first posted Deffors on there  and  the stock that will run on Deffors has been on there

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/91456-sirdouglas-o-gauge-bodging/page-1

i have the templot plan printed out and rolled up, the four points built and put away

Edited by sir douglas
  • Like 4

Hi,

Deffors will be 60cm by 23cm O gauge layout, a 3 track sector table, 2 track goods yard, headshunt, station, 

Now that is a serious 'minimum space' layout! 24" x 9" would be a challenge in 2mm scale!

Another go on Sketchup, this time with a station building.

Quite often on branchlines and light railways existing houses and cottages were re used into station buildings, im thinking of having the same thing

26648900996_9f8b59e862_b.jpgdeffors sketchup ( 8) by Sam, on Flickr

across the front will be a street that crosses the tracks, behind the building and on the right are foundations for shops

Edited by sir douglas
  • Like 3

Even with the 2 added, that is b small.

The lines down the middle of your tracks make me hope that it will follow the One True Path, by being third-rail electrified, but I somehow expect that won't be the case.

Is the little siding-ette at the front right long enough to be useful?

I shall follow with interest.

K

sorry missed a 2 in there, its 60 by 223cm

I still need a conversion to Old Money :blush: ;)

...& 3-rail is for American Toy Collectors :O :nono: Where's the "vomit" smiley??!! :P :D

Small O scale layout, standard gauge track, Light Railway; what's not to like?

Will follow this with interest. :yes:

• Like 1

I still need a conversion to Old Money :blush: ;)

...& 3-rail is for American Toy Collectors :O :nono: Where's the "vomit" smiley??!! :P :D

Me too. Having to convert dimensions into English rather detracts from the interesting plan, as it makes it harder to visualise!

3 rail is O and O-16.5 mixed gauge in my 7mm scale world!

• Like 2

Roughly seven and a bit feet.

Which should please Broad Gauge people.

K

(Tut, tut, Mr F U Mad. Such a restricted understanding of three-rail. Plenty of us English toy train chaps use it too.)

Edited by Nearholmer

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

last week i was thinking about adding brake vans to the layout. which mans altering the layout fit the longer train length, but without changing the points as ive already made them.

the 3 areas that need to be longer are as shown; fiddle yard headshunt and loop shunt which acts a third siding while shunting

post-9948-0-24979600-1472148095_thumb.jpg

the layout width hasnt changed but the length obviously has from 223cm up to 250cm. the fiddle yard was made longer by adding a fold out section. and the sidings arent longer as brake vans dont go into them so the extra space gives me little more to play with stuff like a weighbridge or a bit of road out front of the yard a little extra space off the end of the headshunt can be used for something as a visual break into the fiddle yard

in the same way that i played with a printout to sort the 4 track fiddle yard, i sketched the alterations on paper by tracing over the printout to get the points right and in relations to the board width and board join, the fiddle yard was traced in further apart in its new position, Point 4 has moved a tiny bit so that the end of the shunt goes into the corner, only when i was happy with it, i modified the templot plan to match and saving it separately of course

post-9948-0-99707600-1472147915_thumb.jpg

this was straight away transferred into sketchup

post-9948-0-67467800-1472148693_thumb.jpg

This is just an idea and i dont know yet whether im going with "brake van" or "no brake van" layout

and yes i havent drawn up the 4 track fiddle yard into templot but that doesnt matter

• 2 weeks later...

yesterday i was thinking stuff like be more creative not stick to the norm of straight boards and having a backscene all the way round

so here is the plain CAD

28919468424_d7aeda172e_z.jpgdeffors sketchup screenshot (10) by Sam, on Flickr

and with a curve on the corner and without the end backscene. i thik it really opens up the layout and looks better just like the curve on the corner of LGA

29435440932_bfd9e963b2_z.jpgdeffors sketchup screenshot (11) by Sam, on Flickr

29362581662_93ba10d055_z.jpgTelford 2016 by Sam, on Flickr

Edited by sir douglas
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

going two posts back about extending the layout to include a brakevan. In the last few days ive built the folding extension on the fiddleyard

the track i already put on had to come off as the rails were too short so i needed fresh track, while i was at it i thought to solder them down in full lengths across the sector plate they are all aligned across the joint and then cut through with a hacksaw blade. when clamping them down, two pieces of styrene put inbetween to space them for the saw

29698256692_fdc41abf6c_z.jpgdeffors fiddleyard (4) by Sam, on Flickr

and with the excess rail cut back

29728305131_57ceb80193_z.jpgdeffors fiddleyard (5) by Sam, on Flickr

and then the rails were cut through and the electrical isolating grooves cut into the copper clad

29698247272_036a30ba30_z.jpgdeffors fiddleyard (6) by Sam, on Flickr

29185170353_8a58e73116_z.jpgdeffors fiddleyard (7) by Sam, on Flickr

the hinges on... and flip

29518388170_6c2345cc60_z.jpgdeffors fiddleyard (9) by Sam, on Flickr

29810912235_9a01971f2f_z.jpgdeffors fiddleyard (10) by Sam, on Flickr

there is still the wiring connections across the joint to do

Edited by sir douglas
  • Like 5

• 1 month later...

The space in my room is now available for Deffors, Halfmoon Colliery is gone apart from bits that ive saved like plugs, switches, points, rail, controller, retaining walls, the bridge and the muddy road

The legs which i might reuse on the layout have been moved to the new spacing. ive sat some thin board over the top of them so i could roll out the templot plan, the points and the fiddle yard have been placed on top

the pic has been cropped as i dont want to show the rest of my room. and whats on the fiddleyard is HC's controller wiring put back together to power the test track. these board arent wide enough for the plan and arent going to be used as the board anyway

post-9948-0-86632700-1477382637_thumb.jpg

(click on it to enlarge)

Edited by sir douglas

• 2 weeks later...

still messing with the templot plan, this time trying to make the layout thinner, ive got it down from 600 to 550mm although this just on templot and havent yet tested if the swing of the fiddleyard will go out the board lining up the tracks.

everythings been moved around a bit and the points have been rotated, the overall width is 600mm and ive drawn in the 550mm line, also for later reference the fiddleyard track alignment line have been drawn on

post-9948-0-99043400-1478520265_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

a neighbour threw out a wardrobe with a ply back so i nabbed the ply last night, first thing this morning i cut out 60 x 125cm for one of the boards, with enough left for the sides, ends and a stretcher. templot plan laying on the board. I cut the plan down the board join and cut back excess paper either side of the track but leaving some at the end (top left of plan) as a board edge reference

30445203423_9f328bd81b_z.jpgDeffors (23) by Sam, on Flickr

Edited by sir douglas
  • Like 1

The Templot plan printout was of the old 223cm version and needed altering to match the 250cm layout

on the "sidings" board, point 4 needed moving and and extension on the head

30927165530_d0db0aea7c_z.jpgDeffors (24) by Sam, on Flickr

on the end of the tracks i put references marks with measurements to the board edges. the up arrow with 107 is 107mm from the side of the board (below) to the cross and the left arrow with 41 is 41mm from the end of the board (right) to the cross

30927163280_db70dbcc2e_z.jpgDeffors (25) by Sam, on Flickr

on the fiddleyard board, there needed to be a larger gap between the sector plate and point 1 and lengthen the headshunt. the fill was drawn on the back of the old fiddleyard plan

31151131952_282312ca21_z.jpgDeffors (27) by Sam, on Flickr

31258856156_f8cd202bba_z.jpgDeffors (28) by Sam, on Flickr

Edited by sir douglas
  • Like 2