Deffors O gauge 60cm x 244cm (2' x 8')

sir douglas

Ive been having to contemplate my layout's setting recently

Something that i would like to model is the 1930's, although there was a slump early on caused by major un employment, things were going well, society, culture, railway and industry were growing even some light railways were doing well with a popularity in tourism, i want to have a "calm before the storm", this is all well and good but my latest loco build is a Hibberd Planet which is 1950's at the earliest, only after building it have i realised the problem. I either go ahead with a 30's layout and not be able to use the Planet or have a post war layout

The same goes with a diecast Fergy tractor i want to use as a wagon load, that too is post war but using it would save me having to buy a pre war tractor

more thinking needed

• 2 weeks later...

Something I've long had up my sleeve for a small layout depicting somewhere off the beaten track is to make it era-flexible.

1930s to 1950s wouldn't be too difficult, I think.

TV aerials arrive; some cars and motorbikes have changed, but times is ard, so some pre-war ones survive; posters and adverts change; fashion doesn't, not in this backwater anyway; army-surplus things arrive ......... you get the picture.

I'm convinced that one layout, with interchangeable odds and bits would work, and probably involve a lot of interesting delving into social history.

You could even have an interchangeable tree, having twenty more years growth in one mode than the other, and young Bill will have gone from boy of nine, to army veteran of 29, with wife, and tiny son of their own.

Kevin

• Like 1

Interesting thread. Only just discovered this! Watching with interest. Like the frog jigs. And some lovely stock. A lot of railway in the space.   What radius are the points? Keep us up to date. And start the layout soon! 

• 4 weeks later...

The original idea for the legs was to reuse the ones from HCLR but they are now too low for me as they were bult back when i was younger there for shorter so it was an ideal height for me back then. so using some bed slats i collected which were thrown out by a neighbour, 3 new legs were cut. the timber is 14 x 64mm and overall the legs are 500 x 900mm. it took a few days to cut out 24 half laps but it was worth it. i used 3 screw on each corner because i thought that since they're only little screws and in not much timber thickness so i thought that i should use 3 instead of 2

31542263564_c24fa21e88_z.jpgdeffors legs by Sam, on Flickr

Elsewhere, ive been back to the CAD to have a go at drawing the baseboard construction

both boards without the top boards on and with a leg on the right

post-9948-0-14530600-1484747110_thumb.jpg

the first board is standard construction. the ply thickness drawn is 5mm and the joining timber is 32mm square since i already have many lengths of it. there are cut outs in the stretchers for the leg when folded up.

post-9948-0-83952600-1484747110_thumb.jpg

the second board is a copy & paste of the first but with the fiddleyard brought over from my previous file and modified to include the right board thickness

post-9948-0-50062100-1484747111_thumb.jpg

i havent decided which will be king board in regard to the legs but will probably be the fiddleyard board, and secondly i dont need so much depth to the baseboards but will leave that adjustment for when i know how much i can take off 

Edited by sir douglas
  • Like 3

Nice bit of carpentry sam, and re-purposing of timber.

Are you going to put some adjustable feet on the bottom`s of the leg`s,or do you have the luxury of level floor`s?.

Cheer`s,

Brian.

Edited by Tove

this morning i was thinking about the how the legs on the king board would in the folded position and would anything obstruct anything else when folded, i couldnt see it properly in my head so i drew it all out full size on the piece of ply ive mentioned previously. the distance of the folded legs to the underside of the baseboard top is 90mm. i decided that about 80mm was a comfortable gap to get my hand in between for tightening and loosening bolts that go through the end of the baseboards ans since the under side of the fiddleyard sector plate well is obviosly lower so the hand gap in that end was the minimum and added the ply thicknesses t get the full 90mm

on the plan the top edge represents the underside of the baseboard top, the stretchers have been drawn on to show how deep the cut outs need to be, but the main problem was planning the folding angle and how to arrangeding agle of one legs doesnt obstruct the other legs when folded. on the right shows it in both positions

32144567440_d273f46913_z.jpg002 by Sam, on Flickr

close up of folding support drawing. since i have 3 legs i need 6 lengths to pair up for the supports, thse were cut out today, all the screw holes on the 3 legs have been marked and drilled but i dont yet hve enough hinges t complete the assembley

32482868116_e423373f19_z.jpg002 b by Sam, on Flickr

• Like 1

Ive been buying the hinges 1 or 2 packs at a time each time i go into town. i now have enough hings for 2 of the legs. I also now have enough 5mm ply to at least make the baseboard frame work for both boards but without the top surfaces. until i get around to making the boards, the angle supports are kept taped up

32664917905_07244cd217_z.jpgDeffors legs (2) by Sam, on Flickr

• Like 1

Something you might be troubled by, even with deep side-members, and even with the top-surface added, is flexing across the diagonal.

I can't tell from the pictures how thick your side-members are (6mm? 9mm?), but I've been surprised myself by how much what is really an open-bottomed tray will flex - structural engineers have the formulae to calculate it, but I'm not a structural engineer!

Once you've assembled it, lay it on a flat surface, and lift one corner only, to check how flexible it is. If that reveals a problem, you may need to tie the diagonally-opposite corners together.

The ultimate is to add a bottom surface, to create a closed box, which is seriously rigid (think 'guitar' or 'flush-panel door' ), but that creates a few challenges of its own around wiring, point-actuators etc. So, a bottom surface with cut-outs is better ....... the shape shown below isn't one I've used, but I think it would work better than what I have used in the past. It needs only be very thin, and the width of the material left ones the holes are cut need only be 50mm, but provided that it is pinned and glued all the way round, and to the laterals, it will work.

K

post-26817-0-41913400-1486123663_thumb.jpg

Edited by Nearholmer

theres going to be 2 stretchers in each board (see the CAD work in post #32). all the ply is 5mm ill only know how much flex there is after putting it together.

point motors are a non issue for me as im not using them and for wires i will just drill holes in the stretchers with my Forstner bit

OK.

Given that information, I'm prepared to wager money that it will flex across the diagonal, unless you tie the diagonally opposite corners together.

Of course, a key question is whether the amount of flex is something to be concerned about. My gut feeling is that with the weight of legs fixed to it, the flex might well be sufficient to cause damage to scenery when you are shifting the layout about.

By the way, are the backscene and end-scene-boards going to be integral with the structure? I ask, because, if they are, you might be able to use them to help give stiffness.

K

ive now started glueing and screw the parts together

Starting with the 32 square brackets they were glued and screwed onto the sides, then the smaller brackets to fix the top onto, the 2 stretchers and the ends also have the small brackets fixed on. below shows the first stretcher being fitted with a side, i was about to drill and screw them together an hour ago but ill have to leave it for now so i made sure they were well clamped together while the glue dries

32721046065_6603067828_z.jpgDeffors baseboard (3) by Sam, on Flickr

32721047475_68da847981_z.jpgDeffors baseboard (2) by Sam, on Flickr

Edited by sir douglas
  • Like 2

It wouldn't be a huge job to double the stretchers and turn them into beams. The sides would turn into H section or at least L section.  It does add to the expense but having once built a layout that had to be scrapped due to warping  and sagging I now go the other way and build boards that are probably ridiculously strong. And well. Not exactly featherweight. You can laugh at me humping them about but they will survive being driven over. Just nervous too that your boards will be stiff enough for the job. You build amazing models. Wouldn't like to see it broken up before its time. 

now ive built the king board, there is more flex as i thought just like Nearholmer predicted, as i haven't got enough board yet for the tops, ill have them thicker than i originally planned and i can double up the stretchers either side of the blocks,  like ive just drawn in on the CAD

post-9948-0-80180400-1486315269_thumb.jpg

while im on the subject of the CAD, im still changing it and moving things about, my latest idea is to change it back to front and have the fiddle yard at the front instead of hidden

in the old versions, the fiddle yard would have to be operated from the back but i want to operated from the front  not only because i want to but also because the layout will be against a wall here at home, so the layout would have to be facing the wall to have the space to swing the sector plate about, so the only option is to have the whole layout facing the same way.

32687738106_946df58ae6_z.jpgdeffors sketchup screenshot (16) by Sam, on Flickr

32687737816_a39dd96c73_z.jpgdeffors sketchup screenshot (17) by Sam, on Flickr

Ive chosen not to do it the other way round with the siding at the front because, ive added stock shelves onto the back of the fiddleyard but with it the otherway round the far track would be permantly under the shelf as the sector plate off to one side

Edited by sir douglas
  • Like 1

Doubling your laterals, other than the end ones, won't help much to cure flex; doubling the longitudinals will, a bit, but the real cure is to tie the diagonally opposite corners together. Try it with a mock-up made of thin card; you'll be impressed by how effective it is.

K

ill have a go at making up lattice work in the boards then, but i'll have to be careful of them not getting in the way of the angle supports when folded up

post-9948-0-40023400-1486377229.jpg

here is the king board at the moments, it still needs the top which i haven't got yet and the timbers on the inside of the ends to fit the legs to

32619109411_533a4bd2e7_z.jpgDeffors baseboard (4) by Sam, on Flickr

• Like 1

Hi Sam,

Triangulating the structure with spars will undoubtedly lead to a stiffer structure and if you intend "open top" baseboards then I would say they are essential. I see though you refer to  the "top". If this is going to be ply and you can bond it securely to your plywood structure then this will itself provide the "across the corners" stiffening of a small spar.  Another sheet bonded to the bottom would give you a really strong structure but would get in the way. Narrow strips around the bottom edges (like having another sheet on the bottom with most of the middle cut away) would contribute some of this extra strength. Especially if you can include triangular "gussets" in the four corners.

Just another way of obtaining the same thing.       Barnes Wallis  geodetic design Wellington  and De Haviland stressed ply Mosquito  both produced strong airframes.

Keep up the good work.

best wishes,

Ian

• Like 1

more progress today, got the second board glued & screwed together, cut out the sector plate board & got that screwed down and screwed in the timber on the inside of the ends

31949659853_f2e73eb5b5_h.jpgDeffors baseboard (5) by Sam, on Flickr

32763866605_7391819453_z.jpgDeffors baseboard (7) by Sam, on Flickr

the pencil line is the radius of the sector plate and ive given a 30mm overlap with the main board to join them together

31949838083_cce9599c76_z.jpgDeffors baseboard (6) by Sam, on Flickr

• Like 3

locating dowels now fitted.

To get the holes perfcetly lined up between the board for the dowels, i clamped them together before drilling, the dowels are 6mm bolts with blank shafts before the heads, the heads were cut off and the end rounded with a file, the bolts are then threaded into the holes leaving the blank shafts sticking out. the slots on the other board are cupbor door magnet plates drilled out and countersunk

example plate

28944-01-1000.jpg

32437713650_07e505c33d_z.jpgDeffors baseboard (8) by Sam, on Flickr

The additional cross members have been cut out of spare 10mm ply, more 32mm square joining block have been cut for these and have the angles cut out of them

Edited by sir douglas

All three of the legs would be on by now if i had enough screws but one of them cant be fitted i buy another pack

the middle cross members and bracket blocks are being put together but are not yet ready to fit to the boards

the fiddleyard board with leg. there two block glued to the underside of the sector plate board edge, these arent screwed in because the mainboard will be screwed down into it

32042385043_60e8d406d5_z.jpgDeffors  baseboard (9) by Sam, on Flickr

leg and folding support, een though planned for the cross members to not obstruct the support, it did anyway so i had to shorten them and repostition them on the legs and the underside of the board, for this view below i still haven't cut the block for the hinge to sit on under the board. 

32703538182_3e868538f4_z.jpgDeffors  baseboard (10) by Sam, on Flickr

• Like 1