Deffors O gauge 60cm x 244cm (2' x 8')

sir douglas

All the track now laid

33038922391_de55967243_z.jpgDeffors (63) by Sam, on Flickr

king board tuned upside down and sat on the work mate and the back of a chair, first thing to do is to bend over the ends of the track spikes, about half of them have been done, then give all the underside and outside of the board a coat of PVA as a sealant and then start wiring

32321187234_80f05a60f4_z.jpgDeffors (64) by Sam, on Flickr

• Like 4

all the wiring on the king board now done except for the inter-board plug, though i forgot to take a photo before i swapped the boards over to the other one and the only space big enough in my room to set the board up to take a photograph is where the other board currently is set up to wire, so it'll have to wait till some other time

Edited by sir douglas

wiring on the fiddleyard board now nearly done, the wire is re used from cutting it out of the old layout and putting it away when it was dismantled except for 2 long lengths on this layout that are new cut from the reel. the power plug with wires on and screwed in, this too is re used from the last layout. the power supply is a Hornby controller plug

33204755875_b25219aa5b_z.jpgDeffors (65) by Sam, on Flickr

like so

http://sawyermodels.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/P9000-220-240V-50-60Hz-Transformer1.jpg

P9000-220-240V-50-60Hz-Transformer1.jpg

wiring diagram drawn up last night

32822394760_3833a9ac38_z.jpgdeffors wiring by Sam, on Flickr

• Like 2

the inter-board plug was fitted yesterday and the boards set back up, this morning i temporarily rigged up the the controller with a chocolate block connector and croc clips and had a little play with J.Aspdin and Halfmoon on the station track

video of J. Aspdin

https://www.flickr.com/photos/59562189@N03/33068215712/in/dateposted/

and of Halfmoon. apologies for it being dark and my very bad camera handling

https://www.flickr.com/photos/59562189@N03/33096804331/in/dateposted/

One of the next things i want to start is the point wiring. about a year ago i put aside some lengths of steel rod for this and as usual when you put something away for safe keeping, you end up not being able to find it, it took me a few days to find them

32410074793_96e72452b7_z.jpgDeffors (66) by Sam, on Flickr

Edited by sir douglas

All the wiring done and it all works

The panel now with a latch

32461046014_447ee87c15_z.jpgDeffors (74) by Sam, on Flickr

Inside the panel

32461048314_ec2d924fb4_z.jpgDeffors (75) by Sam, on Flickr

A travel lock latch on the sector plate

33175877301_203e20bd2f_z.jpgDeffors (73) by Sam, on Flickr

Gluing a plank into the back of the panel box to give the hook screw something to bite

32461041094_8f2a7f5593_z.jpgDeffors (72) by Sam, on Flickr

The hooks are B&Q flush mounts

33148590422_1a3969e32c_z.jpgDeffors (69) by Sam, on Flickr

Edited by sir douglas
  • Like 1

little hook and loop to hang the controller on

32479793764_39fdc9e920_z.jpgDeffors (76) by Sam, on Flickr

panel box finished for now with the top on.

33322383845_4d3d71709b_z.jpgDeffors (77) by Sam, on Flickr

The point rodding on No 4 has now been done, i was going to wire it as well but trying to do it was awkward so ill rod the other 3 then flip the boards to wire them

2 pics here, one of each throw

33281800356_abeda7d073_z.jpgDeffors (79) by Sam, on Flickr

33322385145_6c29679382_z.jpgDeffors (78) by Sam, on Flickr

and point 3 in progress

33281803516_017c1305fd_z.jpgDeffors (80) by Sam, on Flickr

• Like 5

Very neat work. I'm really jealous. Just got the gas back on with the pipes replaced. Will be another month before I've got the kitchen back in commission and I can get back on with my baseboard construction. Keep it up. Ten minutes looking at this keeps me sane.... If this is as good as your rolling stock it will be a belter. 

what an infuriating afternoon, I've been wiring the switches after getting the rodding done on point No 1,, lugging the boards around my small room is doable enough but its difficult to get them back together and settled, if you were to think of what would be the tightest space you could comfortably move your boards around in, well then take a bit off that so you only just have the space, also even though im a physically able young person, im a bit short (5'6") so that makes it a bit awkward too.

most of the switch wiring went together fine but as always there going to be mistakes and the last switch to do refused to go together for a while, the wires wouldn't solder onto the switch properly kept coming off, i just persisted with it and they did eventually stay one, then after lugging the boards back together i found that point No 4 was dead, a look underneath found that the feed wire came undone while soldering on the switch wire on. That was fixed, next was running the Planet back and forth to test the points, a blade on Point No 3 needed adjusting to get it to sit against the stock rail when thrown, i did that and went back to test running, after flicking the points a few times, a tie bar assembly suddenly decided to fall apart, so that had to be fixed as well.

Third chapter of frustration, the Hunslet and the Kitson came out of their boxes for a run but for some reason they are both acting very stuttery even though they are both good runners on the track at the club as ive shown in videos. I'm either getting nothing from them or turn the controller up a tiny bit and they'll shoot off.

a Plague of set backs and puzzles in 1 day after having 2 months of easy board building and track laying.

• RMweb Premium

Sounds like you may have some partial shorts &/or poor connections on the feeds. Check the brass tubes on the point control don't touch the rails & other possible causes. A test meter can be very helpful tracking down problems, you'll get there.

Dava

the problem has been fixed this morning without having to take down the boards, as Dava suggested it was a short. The culprit was a point blade that had slide along in its chairs and closed up the isolating gap with the frog causing a short as i have my blades wired to their stock rails and the solution that came to mind was what ive seen 5050 do which is to put a bit of thin styrene into the gap. Once i opened up the gap again, the locos went straight back to smooth slow running. as precaution i went round all the frog isolating gaps nudging the blades and filling the gaps with styrene if they moved. Another problem was that the ends of some of the blades were sagging which led to the loco riding over them and going down the wrong way so i packed them up with slide plates cut out of brass sheet

Here is Point No 2 after the additions

32555120254_16f7ee57ed_z.jpgDeffors (86) by Sam, on Flickr

Started painting the bare sleepers with Railmatch sleeper grime

33397919165_50d8180997_z.jpgDeffors (88) by Sam, on Flickr

cut out the footbridge side that ive shown previously, shown here being held up by a clip

32583889933_c3c866b5c4_z.jpgDeffors (87) by Sam, on Flickr

• Like 2

As of now i would have had a fully operational layout but a big accident has postponed that

Firstly i had to replace the screws under the rail ends to replace them with copper clad and these were packed up to just short of the rail feet with ply, The rail ends were soldered on, then i was going to drill throught the ends of the copper clad and screw them down, after that 15mm long lengths of brass tube would have been soldered onto the copper clad for the track selecting bolts.

So i started drilling but I had already drilled the holes in the ends of the copper clad before placing them so next was drilling through the holes into the ply underneath for the screws, some way in the drill got a bit tight in its hole so i was very firmly but slowly easing it back out when it snagged on the copper clad. In doing so ripped up over a foot of track

33298287062_ae14802b78_c.jpgdeffors damage (1) by Sam, on Flickr

the first job was damage assessment and control, take apart the damaged track, see how many chairs can be re used and start rebuilding

In the pic below; top-left are the brass tubes, top-right is a collection of half chairs from making the points, mid-left are the track pins from the ripped track, mid-middle are the half chairs broken fom the track, mid-right are the 2 un used chairs i have left from the original 500, bottom-left are damaged chairs i cant re use and bottom-right are the chairs i can re use, since im short on full chairs, ill have to use the half chairs and glue the in either side of the rail

33298284622_b7aae4a489_c.jpgdeffors damage (2) by Sam, on Flickr

And with the re usable chairs slid back on to the rail

33453930985_a280644f2a_c.jpgdeffors damage (3) by Sam, on Flickr

after sorting the damage control i just walked away from it for now, "screw this cant be bothered with it today", the time it took to get to that stage would have been enough to have got the tubes soldered on and its going to take me at leat an hour i think to re lay the track so im done for today

Oh dear!!

It is deeply off-putting when this sort of thing happens, as it does to us all, occasionally.

Worth persisting, though.

The fiddle yard for my portable mini-terminus is currently stood in the naughty corner, because, in my enthusiasm to get it ready for an event before Christmas, I persisted with the carp shoot-bolts that I'd got. I made it work, but work badly, and it needs a lot of re-configuration before its next outing, in July. Fortunately, I've now sourced some decent shoot-bolts!

If at first ......

K

the short  has been found and is being sorted,

since the other end of the layout is operational, its time to start doing some scenic and preparation for ballasting. polystyrene sheet is being laid inbetween the track and will cover the yard area

33489566615_9aef2bfafd_z.jpgDeffors (91) by Sam, on Flickr

a look at the tubes for the track selecting bolt

33489565325_701d545a0e_z.jpgDeffors (90) by Sam, on Flickr

all the polystyrene sheet in the goods yard is now laid

33188973150_a86968c702_z.jpgDeffors (92) by Sam, on Flickr

the nearside rails on the sector plate extension have been wired up

33572269385_4921ce7684_z.jpgDeffors (94) by Sam, on Flickr

using more of the 14 x 64mm bed slats (same as the legs) for an end stop which has been screwed on and 4 blocks cut to mount 2 new smaller hinges on higher up to give a larger gap when folded for the end stop

33531390666_8647752f3f_z.jpgDeffors (93) by Sam, on Flickr

with the fiddleyard now done i turned my attention to the elusive short which miraculously disappeared so instead now that i have a running layout, i had a play session. the Kitson, 3 wagons chosen at random and the brakevan were assmbled in the fiddleyard, ran out into the loop, ran round, shunted the wagons into a siding, put the brake van into the loop shunt, retrieve the wagons, re assemble the train in the loop and run back into the fiddleyard

33531394966_4ff270d85a_z.jpgDeffors (95) by Sam, on Flickr

Edited by sir douglas
  • Like 4

mocked up the platform and horse dock with cardboard

33204259380_cae7baa0e0_z.jpgDeffors (96) by Sam, on Flickr

but i cant see exactly how i want the layout to look like yet in my head, i have a good idea of the theme/setting and style and whats going where but nothing defined enough to start building it, i haven't yet decided what will go in the gap between the goods yard and the horse dock and i dont know what to do about the horse dock at all apart from the platform edge

• Like 1