Midland Railway coaches in BR days.

60B

Afternoon guys/ gals,

Recently I bought a Ratio MR brake coach kit and while assembling a thought occurred, Ratio doesn't mention a single thing about a career in BR days. Which either suggests that the coaches never really made past 1948 to receive numbers or Ratio hasn't got a scooby on the subject. Any help would be appreciated.

I suspect the latter. According to the Railway Observer a Midland lavatory third, M18875M, in BR crimson and with nice new scarlet upholstery was in the formation of a Newport - Brynmawr train in July 1954. This was not exactly its home territory! How long it lasted I haven't a scooby. Not much help I know but the Midland clearly built solidly.

Chris

Looking on a website, it appears that some clerestory stock lasted post 1948 so assumed slightly more modern stock might stick. But theres a prototype for everything B)

? Which kind of Ratio Midland Railway "brake coach" are you assembling, the 723 Clerestory lav brake, or one of the Suburban arc roof brake's?

The Clerestory Lavatory brake third were built in three Lots, the last going in 1946. Most in fact had gone prior to the Second World War.

The Clayton Arc roof stock was rather more modern. The D552 4-compartment brake third was built in two batches, the first in 1908 (withdrawn by 1953) and the rest in 1912 (withdrawn by 1958).

The D501 6-compartment brake third fared rather worse and all had gone by October 1947. Both types were 8ft 6ins wide stock.

Larry G? 

• 1 month later...

? Which kind of Ratio Midland Railway "brake coach" are you assembling, the 723 Clerestory lav brake, or one of the Suburban arc roof brake's?

The Clerestory Lavatory brake third were built in three Lots, the last going in 1946. Most in fact had gone prior to the Second World War.

The Clayton Arc roof stock was rather more modern. The D552 4-compartment brake third was built in two batches, the first in 1908 (withdrawn by 1953) and the rest in 1912 (withdrawn by 1958).

The D501 6-compartment brake third fared rather worse and all had gone by October 1947. Both types were 8ft 6ins wide stock.

Larry G? 

Hi Larry, just realised you had responded. Its 48ft Low Roof Suburban stock. Brake Third, 6 comp. I must have marked all boards read and missed this thread.

• 1 month later...

I was just a young teenager at the time but I definitely recall seeing the occasional Midland clerestory coach on Bradford-Morecambe summer excursion trains in the early to mid fifties. The "Little North Western" was a busy line on summer weekends when seemingly half of Bradford went to Morecambe for their hols., Morecambe was known locally as Bradford on sea. As well as very old Midland stock there were other interesting old coaches on this traffic from time to time including an articulated CLC set one day. There were many non-corridor vehicles too which must have been a bit uncomfortable if they weren't lav. stock.

Locomotivewise a lot of these trains were hauled by 4Fs or Crabs but we occasionally got Yorks based B1s, D49s and the odd A1 which was great for us spotters.

Edward

Archived