Manchester to Preston Electrification

Is there a plan to put 390’s this route or is this just a virgin limelight stealing exercise ?

I’d have thought 319’s would have been more appropriate test material ?

390s have formed part of the test programme for all the newly electrified routes in the NW.  They can be equipped with monitoring equipment, have a reasonably high current draw and a reasonably high EMC footprint which can exercise immunisation and have two pans in the event one is damaged during the tests (which of course is an obvious risk on a new installation).  319s have none of those attributes.

And in the finest traditions of local Journalism not a word in The Bolton Evening News.

Presumably because everything worked as it should, so its not newsworthy.

Regards,

John P

No Beardy proclaiming he has opened a new line between Preston and Bolton.

I'm sure Network Rail will make a press release and then the local press may take an interest even if it just allows them another swipe at Northern.

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

I'm sure Network Rail will make a press release and then the local press may take an interest even if it just allows them another swipe at Northern.

There's nothing yet on Network Rail's main Twitter feed, or the one dedicated to, as they name it, 'The Great North Rail Project, and nothing from Network Rail's Press Office either.  Bit surprising really as historically they're usually pretty quick off the mark with some video, pictures and a press release.

Edited by 4630

The test runs seem to have occurred earlier today.

Pendo 390104 at speed through Chorley;

https://twitter.com/Auriga_ZA/status/1073048856328318976

Edited to add unit number.

Well for a test train it was going quite fast through Chorley - they must have faith in their overhead lines !!

Good luck - hope to ride on a 'lecky on this line soon.

brit15

i noticed in the video of the test run you can see the light for the monitoring/recording equipment on the roof. sometimes see a 390 going over the viaduct in Stockport with the light shining on the roof and wondered what the light was for first time i saw it. would love to see some of the footage

• RMweb Premium

i noticed in the video of the test run you can see the light for the monitoring/recording equipment on the roof. sometimes see a 390 going over the viaduct in Stockport with the light shining on the roof and wondered what the light was for first time i saw it. would love to see some of the footage

EVERY new 25KV EMU (and probably loco) has these lights fitted (they are lit even with the pan lowered on the 700 series) - it facilitates remote pantograph inspections by video and investigations into any damage that may have occurred./ They are not specifically about monitoring the OLE - it is more about protecting the TOCs and train maintainers if things go wrong.

Thats not to say NR is bared from using any data / info that may be collected, but its not as if these things are installed simply for NRs benefit....

Edited by phil-b259

If pan cameras are fitted and in constant use that will be a great benefit to NR as well as the TOCs; A fairly regular event in Glasgow was pan carbon damage in the same place on a number of EMUs, with no knowledge of the cause. We used to have to compare the workings of the affected sets to try and narrow down the location, but that usually still meant many, many miles of OLE to be examined.  

• Agree 1

EVERY new 25KV EMU (and probably loco) has these lights fitted (they are lit even with the pan lowered on the 700 series) - it facilitates remote pantograph inspections by video and investigations into any damage that may have occurred./ They are not specifically about monitoring the OLE - it is more about protecting the TOCs and train maintainers if things go wrong.

Thats not to say NR is bared from using any data / info that may be collected, but its not as if these things are installed simply for NRs benefit....

What you say is correct about recent emus however the 390s did not have it when delivered.  A few years ago there was a spate of pan carbon damage on 390s and the cause could not be traced.  At that time a small number of 390s were fitted with ole monitoring kit to try and figure out what was happening and the problem was subsequently traced to a couple of neutral sections on the southern WCML which were not set up correctly.  I don't know if all 390s now have the ole monitoring kit but I'm sure someone will. 

I believe additional test gear is fitted specially by Longsight depot for runs such as those on the Bolton line and then removed afterwards.

Edited by DY444

I suspect the Preston to Longsight ECS as seen here will move over to this route.

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/Y82089/2018/12/13/advanced

Prior to the wires going up between Deansgate and Golborne Junction, this was a 57/3 drag and prior to 390's a 47/8 with the DVT and 86/87 or 90.

Cheers

Simon

What you say is correct about recent emus however the 390s did not have it when delivered.  A few years ago there was a spate of pan carbon damage on 390s and the cause could not be traced.  At that time a small number of 390s were fitted with ole monitoring kit to try and figure out what was happening and the problem was subsequently traced to a couple of neutral sections on the southern WCML which were not set up correctly.  I don't know if all 390s now have the ole monitoring kit but I'm sure someone will. 

I believe additional test gear is fitted specially by Longsight depot for runs such as those on the Bolton line and then removed afterwards.

i deliver into longsight on a regular basis and on the wall of one of the offices is a large poster about the test kit fitted to the 390s and its use through the washing plant to prevent damage 

• RMweb Gold

OK so I should have looked properly at the timings.

FYI CHARD, the first four letters of my surname do match but I'm Lancashire through and through, no Italian that I'm aware of. :):)

Regards,

John P

Fair few Italians in Lancashire-Ferretti's ice creams in Horwich?

Edited by rodent279

• 1 month later...

Does anyone know if the route is W10 cleared?

I suspect not, as ISTR that the PW had to be lowered in Chorley Tunnel to gain adequate OLE clearance and there was an issue with the 'flying arches' too I think.

I used to take Sprinters etc that way regularly but never a freight train.

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, E3109 said:

I suspect not, as ISTR that the PW had to be lowered in Chorley Tunnel to gain adequate OLE clearance and there was an issue with the 'flying arches' too I think.

those arches had been dismantled and rebuilt...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-28372218

Timelapse here of the rebuilding (they are just facade now covering steel).

Heres the after..

note the arches now are raised from their original position and moved slightly to sit ontop of those girders...

link to a picture on flickr..

CHORLEY’S FLYING ARCHES, CHORLEY, LANCASHIRE, ENGLAND.

tbh, i have to ask whats the point.. no one can see them, they are no longer serving purpose and far more deserving things have been lost.

heres the before...

https://www.railwaymedia.co.uk/Trips/2008/190708/i-dSbhknc/A

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

14 hours ago, E3109 said:

Hi E3109,

It is quite close through there, I was on the footplate of 45407 when an icicle smashed off the glass draught screen from the driver's side of the cab one December evening after detaching from the train at Preston and working light back to Bury. The drive Bob Hart had just seconds earlier pulled his elbow in from leaning on the cab side rest when an almighty bang and broken glass made us all jump. If he hadn't  pulled his arm in when he did he might well have lost it from the elbow down.

I always shut both the cab roof vent and the cab side  window when working through tunnels just in case.

Gibbo,

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 09/02/2019 at 22:34, adb968008 said:

those arches had been dismantled and rebuilt...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-28372218

Timelapse here of the rebuilding (they are just facade now covering steel).

Heres the after..

note the arches now are raised from their original position and moved slightly to sit ontop of those girders...

link to a picture on flickr..

CHORLEY’S FLYING ARCHES, CHORLEY, LANCASHIRE, ENGLAND.

tbh, i have to ask whats the point.. no one can see them, they are no longer serving purpose and far more deserving things have been lost.

heres the before...

https://www.railwaymedia.co.uk/Trips/2008/190708/i-dSbhknc/A

Those brick extensions they've built to accommodate the extra height are particularity ugly as well. Also it's weird how they seem to have used wooden sleepers for the replacement track.

2 minutes ago, montyburns56 said:

Those brick extensions they've built to accommodate the extra height are particularity ugly as well. Also it's weird how they seem to have used wooden sleepers for the replacement track.

I suspect they're steel sleepers

19 minutes ago, 62613 said:

I suspect they're steel sleepers

Very probably for steel sleepers are of a much reduced depth compared to wooden and concrete allowing the depth of ballast to be retained while giving extra load gauge clearance due to the thinner section of sleeper.

Gibbo.