Manchester to Preston Electrification

1 hour ago, Gibbo675 said:

Very probably for steel sleepers are of a much reduced depth compared to wooden and concrete allowing the depth of ballast to be retained while giving extra load gauge clearance due to the thinner section of sleeper.

Gibbo.

They seem to be used quite extensively on my local line (Hyde Junction - Glossop/Hadfield)

• 3 weeks later...

A snatched shot of my first Pendolino at Buckshaw Village.

First Virgin Trains empty stock working with 11-car 390115.

Realtime Trains has it as 5P93 1245 Longsight Car. M.D. to Blackpool North. 

94C484A2-EA5F-4363-987D-22FCE8FFC870.jpeg.e04f0d460d4e1f5aeebf96c705f43313.jpeg

Edited by bigd
Add Train No
  • Like 2

Re. Chorley flying arches. These are visible from the A6 which passes over the tunnel in the background of the picture above.

You might need steps to see over the fence by the road depending how tall you are, but they are visible to all from the top deck of the 125 bus.

Presumably they were originally put in place because of the depth and steepness of the cutting, and if this is the case they or something similar would still be needed for the original purpose.

I seem to remember some years ago when NR cut all the trees in the cutting on the far side of the tunnel there were concerns about landslip, being Lancashire it can rain quite heavily around here for days on end!

John.

39 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

I'd bet an early morning Preston to London service via Horwich Parkway and Bolton would be popular I reckon (plus an evening return)

Would have thought that there wasn't the capacity between Deansgate and Piccadilly at that time of day, the way the line is set up at the moment. If Manchester City Council had not objected to the demolition of the Star and Garter, the extra tracks to increase capacity could have been built. Otherwise, a great idea. Run it from Blackpool!

2 minutes ago, 62613 said:

Would have thought that there wasn't the capacity between Deansgate and Piccadilly at that time of day, the way the line is set up at the moment. If Manchester City Council had not objected to the demolition of the Star and Garter, the extra tracks to increase capacity could have been built. Otherwise, a great idea. Run it from Blackpool!

I thought the issue was the government not releasing funds rather than the council objecting to a single pub being demolished.

i was thinking a very early morning service which would avoid the main peak but still offer people in the Bolton area access to a direct service to arrive by 9am without having to go to Preston or Manchester first.

• 2 months later...

With the May timetable change Trans Pennine Class 350 units are being routed via Bolton. I caught this one at Buckshaw Parkway.

I was hoping to get both the northbound and southbound workings in one picture together, as they are scheduled to pass at Euxton Junction. Unfortunately the southbound train went via Parkside.

9F8F3E4A-33D3-4559-9774-511DAA2A2D7A.jpeg

• Like 4

On ‎11‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 20:46, Gibbo675 said:

Very probably for steel sleepers are of a much reduced depth compared to wooden and concrete allowing the depth of ballast to be retained while giving extra load gauge clearance due to the thinner section of sleeper.

Gibbo.

Only if you ignore the spade ends of the steels which stick down deeper than the bottom of a timber sleeper. The main benefit of steel sleepers is that by transferring the load bearing surface to the top surface of the ballast you can sometimes save the cost of reballasting. As what was the top ballast between the sleepers is added to the thickness of the load supporting bottom ballast bed.

• Informative/Useful 2