DJModels N Gauge Mermaid EP1 sample

Andy Y

As part of reviewing the model for BRM (digital edition out now) I did a quick 360 video (I'm doing quite a few of these now of anything that comes across my bench) which shows some of the finesse of the undergubbins pretty well.

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold

This offers a nice comparison: 

http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/img/s9/v18/p1004460183-3.jpg

A very nice rendition, I'd say. I think the only thing negative we could say is that the "Chains" are overscale, but other than that, just lovely.

Looking forward to receiving my four, hopefully to be followed by two indian red examples and a Perth Shark.

Edited by scottystitch

A very nice rendition, I'd say. I think the only thing negative we could say is that the "Chains" are overscale, but other than that, just lovely.

Yes, very nice.

The chains are chunky but can be replaced, and overall it does seem a little leggy/high stepping but I can't put my finger on why. All the specifics I look at seem correct so perhaps nothing to worry about. I'll look to purchase some although I was hoping for the Dutch liveried ones. Anyone any idea when and if they are due?

G.

• RMweb Premium

I believe the plan is to produce and sell these in batches of one livery at a time, the first release sales then pays for the second run of a different livery and so forth.

• RMweb Premium

As the mermaids are such an expensive wagon, I will not be running the next batch until this batch of 1000 units is sold and I have recouped my costs.

Simply put, although I'm not taking profit from these (not one penny due to the exchange rate crash of last year) I want to make sure that the retailers (the manufacturers lifeblood in my opinion) can make a standard profit per wagon sold if sold at rrp, and I don't want to push the price past the £20.00 barrier, as I think that by doing so I would enter dubious territory regarding N gauge rolling stock and prices.

So each run, will come off the back of the proceeding run, unless my cash flow improves.

Hope that helps

Cheers

Dave

Yes, very nice.

The chains are chunky but can be replaced, and overall it does seem a little leggy/high stepping but I can't put my finger on why. All the specifics I look at seem correct so perhaps nothing to worry about. I'll look to purchase some although I was hoping for the Dutch liveried ones. Anyone any idea when and if they are due?

G.

I have the Engineers Olive green on order these would appear to be the 3rd release if Dave is manufacturing in order from the catalogue numbers. But Dave might be going by the number of preorders?

Edited by acg5324

I have the Engineers Olive green on order these would appear to be the 3rd release if Dave is manufacturing in order from the catalogue numbers. But Dave might be going by the number of preorders?

Yes, it would be helpful if there was a schedule of which batch and what liveries will be next (perhaps there is but I don't know where). Also is this first 1000 all of black liveried ones or is it split?

G.

I have the 4 olive green ones on order too but I'm considering cancelling & ordering the black ones instead as there's no timescale in place & they might never be produced :-/

I have the 4 olive green ones on order too but I'm considering cancelling & ordering the black ones instead as there's no timescale in place & they might never be produced :-/

Yes, it does sound a possibility and the lack of a published timescale is a concern. And possibly more so (that all the remaining batches may not get produced) as currently all the livery (black) eggs are in one basket (batch) meaning there is less livery choice and making it more likely they won't all sell if people are waiting for other liveries.

Perhaps if it does get to the stage that a second batch of a 1000 is on the cards that Dave reconsiders the batch liveries and makes that second batch have around 300 each of the listed red, green and 'dutch' liveries. Further batches can pick up on expanding those numbers if demand is sufficient. Maybe the first batch should have had 250 each of the four liveries (rather than all of one) but that's 'obsons now. 

G.  

Hallo,

I'm interested in the olive green and the Dutch livery.

I also expect DJM is producing on the strength of the pre-orders, and no black ones for me. If my livery choices get manufactured, then fine, if not, I save my money

es grüßt

pc

From Dave's perspective, if he is to do an initial run of 1000 it would be far less cost effective to do 250 of four different liveries than 1000 of one with four different running numbers. I rather think the initial 1000 will sell very quickly whereupon Dave will do the second and so on.

It is about making the same limited amount of working capital do just that - work - four times..

Regards

Roy

Edited by Roy L S

• RMweb Gold

From Dave's perspective, if he is to do an initial run of 1000 it would be far less cost effective to do 250 of four different liveries than 1000 of one with four different running numbers. I rather think the initial 1000 will sell very quickly whereupon Dave will do the second and so on.

It is about making the same limited amount of working capital do just that - work - four times..

Regards

Roy

I am sure Dave would be more than happy for somebody to stump up the money for a commissioned run of 1000 in whatever livery they want. As it is, he seems to carry lots if risk himself and I don't envy him that.

Roy

• Like 1

From Dave's perspective, if he is to do an initial run of 1000 it would be far less cost effective to do 250 of four different liveries than 1000 of one with four different running numbers.

Do you have any evidence for that claim?

I'm not so sure that the cost of 1000 in the same livery but with four different numbers (so 250 of each) would be any cheaper than 1000 split between just three liveries. I seem to recall when DJM was originally set up one of the claims was that they were agile and had contacts with factories where they could produce cost effective very small runs of number/liveries.

G.

Good lord,

Turn my back for 5 minutes and the gloom mongers are saying it's possible the other colours won't be manufactured.

Sorry but this is just mischief making. I've said here before if you read this thread, and I'll say it again, finance dictates that the 1000 models get sold first.

Monies raised from the 1000 pay for the next 1000 units and so on. Simple as. I have never said there was even a remote chance of me cancelling or not producing the others.

If you had any idea, you'd realise that since the brexit shenanigans, the pound to us$ exchange plummeted, leaving this batch of 1000models as strictly a break even wagon.

So why did I produce them if I'm not making money you will ask? Well that's even simpler......I'm a honourable person and will always endeavour to do what I say, even if it means making no profit. Not much of a businessman perhaps, but recently honour and honesty has been, for some, in very short supply. I'd rather be as straight as the days long thank you.

So, the next batch and the following batch will not make me any money either despite the exchange rate getting better, but it will allow me to amortise tooling cost. So maybe in a couple of years the next batch of black ( further down the road) will actually make me some money. Yaaaaaaaaaay :-)

And to reiterate the above in a shorter form, don't be silly, all livery versions announced are coming, and if Grahame wants to sub me 30K I'll give him a timeline almost instantly. ;-)

Cheers

Dave

• Like 6

Do you have any evidence for that claim?

I'm not so sure that the cost of 1000 in the same livery but with four different numbers (so 250 of each) would be any cheaper than 1000 split between just three liveries. I seem to recall when DJM was originally set up one of the claims was that they were agile and had contacts with factories where they could produce cost effective very small runs of number/liveries.

G.

I think it is pretty obvious why it will be more expensive, and it will be four liveries, black, olive, Indian red and Dutch rather than three.

To do what you suggest will require the factory setting up for four different very small runs of spraying and then the tampo-printing for the four different short runs of 250.

Running 1000 of the same livery through the paint shop and having essentially the same decoration for printing (aside from the four different numbers) requires only one lot of setting up so is far more efficient.

Cost considerations aside, what you are suggesting would also mean just running number in each livery available. I would have thought it preferable (it certainly is to me) to be able to buy four with different numbers to form a short rake at the same time rather than one?

Anyway, Dave has reassured that they will all happen so I guess it's just a question of being patient.

Regards

Roy

Hi everyone,

Typical huh? always seems to happen lately.....the ship with the Mermaids on board should have left Hong Kong 2 days ago, 

However, the AL MASHRAB is still currently moored in Hong Kong :-(

Unless a miracle happens this means that it will miss its docking date (based on a departure of 2 days ago) of Southampton on the 22nd June. 

So apologies, as this is beyond my control, and i'll update as we go along.......or not, depending.

cheers

Dave

• Like 1

Hi everyone,

Typical huh? always seems to happen lately.....the ship with the Mermaids on board should have left Hong Kong 2 days ago, 

cheers

Dave

There has got to be a joke in there somewhere about Dave getting his dishy little fishkind wagons when the boat comes in.