DJModels N Gauge Mermaid EP1 sample

Andy Y

• RMweb Premium

Actually the first review was in the current issue of BRM which hit my doormat a few weeks ago. Hornby Mag are second I think.

Edited by John M Upton

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

I'm pleased to say the n gauge Black mermaid wagons have landed, been unloaded and in record time will be at the Distributor tomorrow (Wednesday) Morning for shipping to model shops that have ordered.

Please remember only 250 of each have been made so they wont last long

Cheers

Dave

• Like 4

I had a phone call from Sherwood Modes today asking which ones I actually wanted (I have a pre-order for 6), so I've confirmed two each of three liveries (not Dutch).  That way I can stage the payments and once weathered and grotted they won't look too implausible together....

Les

Edited by Les1952

• RMweb Gold

To clarify, I meant I have one of each of the black models in order.

And then also two Indian red.

And a shark.

Combined with the Dapol Grampus' (Grampi?) should be a decent ballast renewal train.

To clarify, I meant I have one of each of the black models in order.

And then also two Indian red.

And a shark.

Combined with the Dapol Grampus' (Grampi?) should be a decent ballast renewal train.

I'll be combining mine with my Dapol Dogfish & Grampuses. I also need to make a start on building my two NGS Shark kits which have been sitting in a drawer for a while. I've also got some unmade Fleetline Mermaid & Parkside Grampus kits. Maybe Dapol will eventually offer a Catfish?

• RMweb Premium

I'll be combining mine with my Dapol Dogfish & Grampuses. I also need to make a start on building my two NGS Shark kits which have been sitting in a drawer for a while. I've also got some unmade Fleetline Mermaid & Parkside Grampus kits. Maybe Dapol will eventually offer a Catfish?

Won't it be better to wait for the DJM Sharks which are bound to be superior to the NGS version?

Won't it be better to wait for the DJM Sharks which are bound to be superior to the NGS version?

That's optimistic! 

But seriously, the NGS kit is very nice and not at all problematic to build. The 2mm Scale Association chassis for it is a nice improvement too (and can be used with normal N gauge wheels on 12.25mm axles). If you've got the kits, build them - its fun :)

The Parkside Grampus is definitely nicer than the Dapol one, and the Dapol Dogfish are so chunky I sold mine on and bought some Stephen Harris etched kits - I haven't had the chance to build them yet though (and they are quite tricky, by all accounts). 

Justin

Have just received email from Hattons to say that my order (one of each of the Black Mermaids) is now being shipped.

As I already have the NGS Sharks then I might as well build them. I doubt that we will be seeing the DJM Sharks for some time yet as they haven't even entered tooling according to the DJM Website.

• RMweb Gold

Have just received email from Hattons to say that my order (one of each of the Black Mermaids) is now being shipped.

As I already have the NGS Sharks then I might as well build them. I doubt that we will be seeing the DJM Sharks for some time yet as they haven't even entered tooling according to the DJM Website.

I haven't........ :(

• RMweb Premium

I had a call yesterday from Kernow about them, unfortunately I have not had a chance to pop in and pick mine up. 

• RMweb Gold

Rails of Sheffield send an invoice for my four ordered mermaids. I paid instantliy and I hope that within a few days they will be mine :sungum: :sungum: :sungum:

Markus

• RMweb Gold

Just been emailed by Hattons. It seems they have sold out of the A model, despite my pre-order having been on the books since January. I thought the whole point of offering the pre-order facility was to enable the retailer to know how many they'd need? And of course to guarantee the customer would get what he/she was looking for.

The person i spoke to said he'd check with his buyer to see if Dave can supply more, but I've a feeling they will all be allocated. Disappointing.  If I'd known they couldn't fulfil the order, I could have ordered from elsewhere. I wonder if anyone has bought and received an A model, who didn't pre-order?

I guess, that if they are selling as well as suggested and get quickly sold out, the issue will be how long will it take DJM to get the next batch manufactured and shipped to the UK. What with finding manufacturing and assembly slots and the long sea voyage we might be talking at least three months for each new livery batch. And then after having got all the four liveries produced as originally planned, they may well get around to producing more of the better selling liveries.

Perhaps Dave has alternative plans to speed things up. Any comment?

G.

Just been emailed by Hattons. It seems they have sold out of the A model, despite my pre-order having been on the books since January. I thought the whole point of offering the pre-order facility was to enable the retailer to know how many they'd need? And of course to guarantee the customer would get what he/she was looking for.

The person i spoke to said he'd check with his buyer to see if Dave can supply more, but I've a feeling they will all be allocated. Disappointing.  If I'd known they couldn't fulfil the order, I could have ordered from elsewhere. I wonder if anyone has bought and received an A model, who didn't pre-order?

Hi mate,

Sorry to hear of that.

I need to check but I believe Hattons were supplied with everything they ordered from me.

As you know, I will try and only make enough to satisfy demand, and about 75% of my stockists were not interested in stocking these which I found interesting, but of course, their choice.

Fingers crossed you get sorted.

Cheers

Dave

I guess, that if they are selling as well as suggested and get quickly sold out, the issue will be how long will it take DJM to get the next batch manufactured and shipped to the UK. What with finding manufacturing and assembly slots and the long sea voyage we might be talking at least three months for each new livery batch. And then after having got all the four liveries produced as originally planned, they may well get around to producing more of the better selling liveries.

Perhaps Dave has alternative plans to speed things up. Any comment?

G.

Hi Grahame,

I'm not making more than 11p on these wagons due to rising prices, the pound crashing and my not wanting to put the price up beyond £20.00

So flying in would be out of the question I'm afraid unless everyone was ok with a price rise, and I guarantee not everyone will be.

So I'm a bit caught between a rock and a hard place with further batches at the moment.

Cheers

Dave

Hi Grahame,

I'm not making more than 11p on these wagons due to rising prices, the pound crashing and my not wanting to put the price up beyond £20.00

So flying in would be out of the question I'm afraid unless everyone was ok with a price rise, and I guarantee not everyone will be.

So I'm a bit caught between a rock and a hard place with further batches at the moment.

Cheers

Dave

I have purchased one each of the Black ones and wouldn't have a problem with a price increase (say 10%) for future batches. I definitely want the Indian Red models and I hope that Black Livery with BR Numbering will be available at some time in the future.

As noted on the NGF, the 'A' model is sold out at Hattons & the 'B' model is now down to 5 in stock.

Can't wait for the Shark, any update as to when these might start Tooling?

David

• RMweb Premium

There are shops other than Hattons. Kernow are still listing as having more than 10 "a" models in. stock. 

I picked up my versions this morning and snuck them back into the house. From the very brief glance I have had of them they look fantastic and well worth the money. 

• RMweb Gold

There are shops other than Hattons. Kernow are still listing as having more than 10 "a" models in. stock. 

I picked up my versions this morning and snuck them back into the house. From the very brief glance I have had of them they look fantastic and well worth the money. 

Hi Kris,

Yes I fully agree, I was really just highlighting the fact that the pre-order wasn't honoured because Hattons had sold out. I was questioning how they could sell out if the knew how many they'd need to honour all the pre-orders.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Kris,

Yes I fully agree, I was really just highlighting the fact that the pre-order wasn't honoured because Hattons had sold out. I was questioning how they could sell out if the knew how many they'd need to honour all the pre-orders.

That just says reams about Hattons. Personally I stopped using them a couple of years ago due to poor levels of service and breaches in contracts they held. They could not even manage to cancel orders that I asked them to. Edited by Kris