DJModels N Gauge Mermaid EP1 sample

Andy Y

Just picked up my 2 from the neighbour, quite simply the best "small" wagon I've seen in N yet!- Well done Dave

Only small iritation was the coupling length. To be fair Farish supply coupings that are far too long as well. That said they are now fitted with short-shank Farish rapidos and happily trundling around Fleischmann 7.5" curves behind a Dapol 26 (thanks for that too Dave!) fitted with similar couplings. Improvement in the look of the train is huge and clearly short-shanks will work with any contemporary trackwork.if they are ok on these Fleischmann curves.

I've noted Dave's earlier comments re honouring prices. Mine cost me £18.50 each from Hattons. Quite honestly a price increase for the next batches of £2-3 would not be unreasonable in my opinion for products of this quality. We need you to be able to eat and invest in new tooling Dave because these Mermaids need some olive friends and a Shark!

Rob

Edited by Suffolk Rob

• RMweb Premium

Got mine yesterday too; they really are superb and their delicate details are enhanced further with Dapol short buckeyes fitted. Even these are a little too long for really close coupling but we mustn't be too fussy.  Roll on the Sharks!

. I wonder if anyone has bought and received an A model, who didn't pre-order?

Yes I ordered from Hattons on Monday when they showed in stock and all mine arrived yesterday.... Never trust pre ordering with Hattons, they did it to me a while back..

1328-030717173349.jpeg

Edited by Only-Me
  • Like 5

Four, pre-ordered from Hattons, arrived today. They are wonderful wagons with a lot of exquisite detail. Well Done, Dave.

I have fitted short-shank Farish rapido couplers as well and they work really well on my layout.

Looking forward to the next colour.

Anyone tried a magnet on a stick yet to unload them?

You might want to remove the load first and run each edge over some sandpaper to take the width off a fraction of a mm so that if you turned a wagon upside down the load will fall out.

Once down the magnet on a stick, will work just fine to unload.

Cheers

Dave

Anyone tried a magnet on a stick yet to unload them?

You might want to remove the load first and run each edge over some sandpaper to take the width off a fraction of a mm so that if you turned a wagon upside down the load will fall out.

Once down the magnet on a stick, will work just fine to unload.

Cheers

Dave

Having too much fun running them around fully loaded!

The finished article is quite exquisite, the detail very well moulded the load fits just tight enough on my three.

I will have to weather them which would be sacrilege but I've never seen a clean one in real life?

Many thanks....

Looking forward to the Clayton's.....

Edited by dmeaden
  • Like 1

I fetched my first pair from Sherwood Models on Saturday.  Ian reports that they are shifting well.

post-13358-0-57505900-1499619261_thumb.jpg

Like Dave I've swapped my couplers for Farish short shanks.  Must remember to get another pack in before the next livery arrives.

Note the difference in colour of the ballast against the Dapol grampus coupled to it.  I'm assuming both are generic and neither is exactly right for anywhere in particular, and will add a thinning of the stuff Croft Spa is ballasted with over the top, or more likely either just replace with a glued-in fill or dust them as empties.

Just a thought- as each batch is being run separately, can shorter couplings be subsituted on batch 2?  Mine run quite happily round R2 curves-  I'll give them a try round the R1 on Hawthorn Dene's colliery in a couple of weeks when that layout is set up again.

Les

• Like 1

Crikey, Mr Jones, these are seriously good!  All 4 have been happily trundling around my filthy corner of 1960s South London for a few days now and are putting most of my other stock to shame.  Will obviously need to get them weathered, although they clearly warrant some kind of Mercig-esque expert attention rather than being subjected to my ham-fisted efforts.

It looks like early sales are pretty brisk - Hattons appear to be sold out already (good effort) - really hope these continue to sell well and put you in a position to green light the next livery quickly, and the one after that etc.

In light of Dapol 's regrettable withdrawal from n gauge, it is really heartening to see new entrants to the market (djm & revolution - and NGS, although I admit, in it's Golden Julbilee, the Society's not exactly new) sticking their necks out and producing interesting models of such outstanding quality.

If you're wondering whether to pick up one or two or indeed several of these excellent wagons ... I'd jump in quickly before they go. You won't regret it.

Thanks from one happy modeller,

MW

Thanks

• Like 2

Hi everyone,

I am delighted to announce that i have sold out of the first batch of the 1000 Mermaid wagons produced in BR Black.

This is great as it helps cash flow for wagons (i keep wagon and loco cash flow separate), and once the stockists have all paid for them, will allow re-investment in new liveries.

I do note that some stockists still have them in stock for sale, which based on only 1000 models is a little strange and i hope isn't indicative of the N gauge market at the moment as, in speaking to some stockist, they have cut right back on stocking a range of N gauge due to poor sales.

Anyway, hopefully soon i'll announce the next batch, but we are at least 3 months away in delivery if i ordered them today so please note.

cheers

Dave

• Like 7

I suspect most dealers ordered a few more than they had pre-orders for, cheaper to do with wagons than locos.  Sales by them seem good so far.  You wouldn't expect a wagon to sell out at dealers everywhere in the first two weeks.  Even the Hornby Peckett could still be found lurking on a few dealer shelves after three months despite a frenzy of "have you got one"?

Les

• RMweb Premium

Anyway, hopefully soon i'll announce the next batch, but we are at least 3 months away in delivery if i ordered them today so please note.

Great news, but I'm surely not the only wanting to know what livery the next batch will be in?

Steven B

I suspect most dealers ordered a few more than they had pre-orders for, cheaper to do with wagons than locos.  Sales by them seem good so far.  You wouldn't expect a wagon to sell out at dealers everywhere in the first two weeks.  Even the Hornby Peckett could still be found lurking on a few dealer shelves after three months despite a frenzy of "have you got one"?

Les

Agreed Les

The very fact that Dave has cleared his warehouse of stock so quickly is encouraging I think. After all 1008 of each livery variant is what Bachmann produce and rarely do we see the red "x" in their lists anything like that quickly.

Were there any concern about shifting stock, the one thing I would flag is whether the "Shark" which will I think typically be bought in ones and twos would be better produced later when cashflow is stronger allowing some stock to be held. You don't after all need a rake of them!

Roy

I suspect most dealers ordered a few more than they had pre-orders for

It isn't always necessary to sell everything in the blink of an eye.

We often order an excess of items for stock which we know will sell well, as we will get the business when others have run out. By the couple of orders we received today, other retailers have obviously run out already, so those that want them are more likely to come to us.

Our 'Mermaids' will run out more quickly than many other stock lines we have.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Dave, because I'm a bit late in realising these are now available just a quick  couple of questions,

1)for the first 3 liveries (not Dutch) which era does each cover?  

2)Is there a publication or website where I can find out more about these wagons and info on running numbers please?     

3)I think on your website you mention multipacks of mermaids, any idea of timescale for these please?

keep up the good work!! N gauge needs more people like you!!

Regds

Chris

Hi Dave, because I'm a bit late in realising these are now available just a quick couple of questions,

1)for the first 3 liveries (not Dutch) which era does each cover?

2)Is there a publication or website where I can find out more about these wagons and info on running numbers please?

3)I think on your website you mention multipacks of mermaids, any idea of timescale for these please?

keep up the good work!! N gauge needs more people like you!!

Regds

Chris

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the questions........

To answer 1 and 2, I must refer you to the wonderful Paul Bartletts web site on wagons. I do this basically because there is a lot of 'overspill' on liveries and era's as they weren't all repainted at once, some not at all. Some gulf red it seems we're that colour to the end under all the dirt and rust.

Paul's site gives dates and locations of the photographs taken so that will help you narrow it down somewhat.

Cheona books are a great source of info too, and also David Larkin, although they are not dedicated to Mermaid wagons.

At this time, no idea bout when multi packs may appear I'm afraid. Sorry.

Edited for name confusion in my old age.

Cheers

Dave

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the questions........

To answer 1 and 2, I must refer you to the wonderful Steve Bartletts web site on wagons. I do this basically because there is a lot of 'overspill' on liveries and era's as they weren't all repainted at once, some not at all. Some gulf red it seems we're that colour to the end under all the dirt and rust.

Steve's site gives dates and locations of the photographs taken so that will help you narrow it down somewhat.

Cheona books are a great source of info too, and also David Larkin, although they are not dedicated to Mermaid wagons.

At this time, no idea bout when multi packs may appear I'm afraid. Sorry.

Cheers

Dave

Hi Dave,  Thanks for taking the time to answer, I have a link to Steve Bartletts site so i'll have a look to see what I can find.  Re books, I thought you might mention D.Larkin and they still seem reasonably priced on Amazon, but i'll do a search for Cheona books to see if they have anything useful or interesting!!   Once again thanks for taking the time and keep up the good work!!!

Chris

• RMweb Premium

Hi Dave,  Thanks for taking the time to answer, I have a link to Steve Bartletts site so i'll have a look to see what I can find.  Re books, I thought you might mention D.Larkin and they still seem reasonably priced on Amazon, but i'll do a search for Cheona books to see if they have anything useful or interesting!!   Once again thanks for taking the time and keep up the good work!!!

Chris

Hi

I think Dave and yourself mean Paul Bartlett's web site.

Cheers

Paul

Edited by PaulCheffus

• 1 month later...

I am delighted to announce that i have sold out of the first batch of the 1000 Mermaid wagons produced in BR Black.

Dave,

Congratulation on 'selling out' the first batch.

It's been two months since you reported selling out but I've not noticed any update on the subsequent batches. So, has the second batch been ordered? And what livery will they be and when can they be expected?

Thanks in anticipation.

G.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

It's been two months since you reported selling out but I've not noticed any update on the subsequent batches. So, has the second batch been ordered? And what livery will they be and when can they be expected?

Another month has now drifted by. Is there any news or update information about the next batch?

G

Another month has now drifted by. Is there any news or update information about the next batch?

G

Hi Grahame,

The ‘dutch’ yellow/grey engineers versions have been ordered from China.

However as they are in the middle of their hectic season of getting everything from rubber ducks to the latest computer toys out for the Christmas market I have not yet got a production slot, hence why I have not announced anything formally, so as to not get hopes up for a pre Christmas delivery.

My best guess is just before CNY but if it happens before, then that’s a bonus.

Cheers

Dave

• Like 1