DJModels N Gauge Mermaid EP1 sample

Andy Y

Looks great, I think there will be room for a few on Kensington Olympia. Like parcels vans you can NEVER have to many pway wagons!

I did wonder if they ever appeared as far North as Blair Atholl - particularly as they are side tippers, and not much use on single lines - but there's a picture in rail photo archive of a rake in the yard there in 1982. So I guess I can justify a short rake of them. Pway wagons are always useful on a model like mine, especially when its the only traffic in and out of your yard, so yes - just  can't have enough of them....

Cheers

Paul

Edited by MR PJ
  • Like 1

I did wonder if they ever appeared as far North as Blair Atholl - particularly as they are side tippers, and not much use on single lines 

On the contrary, much more use than a hopper if you're wanting to pile fresh stone at regular intervals, before track renewal. 

Paul A. 

• 4 weeks later...

The second EP should be along in about 4-6 weeks and maybe some deco samples too.

Dave

It's probably about that period since the last update so is there any news about the second EP. It will be nice to see some decorated samples and have an idea of when they will be available in shops to purchase.

Cheers.

G

It's probably about that period since the last update so is there any news about the second EP. It will be nice to see some decorated samples and have an idea of when they will be available in shops to purchase.

Cheers.

G

Agreed. I know a lot of people modelling different eras who are keen to get their hands on this long lived engineering wagon, and indeed the "Shark". too

Roy

Cheers.

G

Hi Graham and everyone else.......caught you all by surprise as the DJModels web site has been updated for a few days now, including the project progress chart.

To cut a long story short, the model has gone through second ep tooling and the artwork has been finished off.

I have done a deal with John Isherwood of Cambridge Custom Transfers to use his art work for my mermaids. A couple of reasons....Firstly I cannot fault his products and his work and secondly by using his artwork, it makes renumbering relatively easy as his numbers will match mine (or vice versa).

This also has the distinct (in my view) advantage of keeping monies in the UK.

At the moment the final artwork (which will be different for each running number ) is being finalised and the paint colour matching agreed ready for the model to be painted and tampo printed.

I've got a small list together for things for the Chinese line manager to look out for during assembly as well.

However, time is a wonderful thing , if you have loads of it. Truth be told I don't have a production slot yet, but I'm hoping that I can approve deco samples and get a slot for 4 weeks production in about 6 weeks. If this happens add 7 weeks for shipping to be safe.

However, as we all know, this can slip but I hope by not much which is why I'm not being definitive about dates so you do t all use it as a stick to beat me with. ;-)

Cheers

Dave

• Like 4

I appreciate that no schedule timings are guaranteed and they are just best estimates with things always subject to change.

But have I got this right: next step is approving deco samples, then six weeks to the first production slot, then four weeks of production/packing, followed by seven weeks sea voyage making a minimum of 17 weeks (about four months) before they will be with retailers?

If so, that means they are likely to miss TINGS this year. That would be a shame.

G.

I appreciate that no schedule timings are guaranteed and they are just best estimates with things always subject to change.

But have I got this right: next step is approving deco samples, then six weeks to the first production slot, then four weeks of production/packing, followed by seven weeks sea voyage making a minimum of 17 weeks (about four months) before they will be with retailers?

If so, that means they are likely to miss TINGS this year. That would be a shame.

G.

Oh I'm sure you'll see a rake or 2 on layouts there to whet your whistle.

However I'd rather be careful as things could go quicker, then that would be wonderful, but experience has taught me to err on caution as you never know what fly might hit the ointment and scupper things before I have all my ducks in a row due to blue sky , out of the box thinking. ;-)

Cheers

Dave

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi everyone,

Here is the artwork for the Mermaids, produced using the artwork from John @ CCT Transfers.

Please take a look and feel free to comment where you see fit.

Please note the BR black ones should have straw coloured lettering.

Cheers

Dave

post-1144-0-34896500-1469125914_thumb.jpg

post-1144-0-20928700-1469125920_thumb.jpg

post-1144-0-55654700-1469125926_thumb.jpg

post-1144-0-99072500-1469125933_thumb.jpg

post-1144-0-27198600-1469125941_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

Can anyone offer some livery advice, which livery applies in what time frames? Thanks.

Hi,

I would thoroughly recommend looking at Paul Bartlett's wagon site. He's dated his pictures and there are olive green, black, gulf red and Dutch in his selection. In fact it's rather amazing what you can get away with in the mix of colour.

Cheers

Dave

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Just remembered to check back and see how this wagon is progressing as things have gone a bit quiet on here.  

I have had a quick look at the DJM website that said as of June things were progressing towards a deco sample.

Dave, I'm sure the 00 J94 release is probably taking up a lot of your time at present but when you get a moment could you give uns a quick update.

Many thanks

Roy

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Richard,

Unfortunately no.

I was due 1 of each running number but the factory are a tad late ( yeah I know lol) and as such they think around the 3rd week of this month.

Whatever happens, I've promised a rake to use on Oxbury Town at Warley, and Carl will have my guts if I let him down too.

Cheers

Dave

• 3 weeks later...

On the contrary, much more use than a hopper if you're wanting to pile fresh stone at regular intervals, before track renewal. 

Paul A. 

I must be really thick, to think for decades I was re-laying the track on independent alignments on the bottom of the dig, dropping ballast from hoppers then lifting through.

When all the time I could have been tipping Mermaids on the ballast shoulder, moving the stone clear of the dig, then moving it again to put it in the track.

GWR%20Mermaid.jpg

I think it would also involve cutting off a lot of the under floor gubbins, as I think the earlier wagons only had hand brakes.

The original GW-built wagons were handbrake-only; I think a lot of the BR-built ones were as well, only receiving vac gear in the mid-1970s, just prior to the WR track upgrades in anticipation of HST services. A lot were used to deliver blanketing sand to the Badminton cut-off works.

Those two characters on the LHS of the cigarette card look as though they're indulging in a bout of Cumberland wrestling.

Mermaids were hand tipped using a four armed handle called a spider, that fitted on a square ended rod sticking out of the side of the wagon attached to gears under the wagon that did the tipping. Really hard work tipping a wagon holding 14 tons of ballast, especially when you know the reward for success will be being told to do another one. The wrestlers will be wrestling with the spider, although I think they may have originally used a single handle, before someone dreamed up the spiders.