DJModels N Gauge Mermaid EP1 sample

Andy Y

The progress chart on Dave's website doesn't appear to have been updated since June 2016. The Mermaids are showing as still in the 'decoration sample' stage which needs completing before moving on to the 'final checking', then 'manufacture' and finally the 'shipping' stages.

G.

The progress chart on Dave's website doesn't appear to have been updated since June 2016. The Mermaids are showing as still in the 'decoration sample' stage which needs completing before moving on to the 'final checking', then 'manufacture' and finally the 'shipping' stages.

That page is useless. Dave either needs to keep it up to date, or delete it, at the moment it is mis-information.

Dave

That page is useless. Dave either needs to keep it up to date, or delete it, at the moment it is mis-information.

Dave

Looks like the Product Progress page has been updated at last. Mermaids showing as in Manufacture. A few more weeks to wait I guess.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

The Mermaid box has arrived and is approved to hold the production models of the Mermaid wagon itself.

The wagon will be held in this box by a clear protective 'clamshell' blister.

cheers

Dave

post-1144-0-83391000-1490265501_thumb.jpg

• Like 10

Hi everyone,

The Mermaid box has arrived and is approved to hold the production models of the Mermaid wagon itself.

The wagon will be held in this box by a clear protective 'clamshell' blister.

cheers

Dave

Looks great and I'm really looking forward to getting my hands on some of these wagons - although is the wagon missing a wheel set? 

Cheers Richard 

Well that is good to see and hopefully payments will fund more or your retirement !!  

Looking forward to 2mmfs a couple of my order from Rails of Sheffield

Thanks 

Dave

No chance Robert, unfortunately :-(

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I guess the box allows for bigger wagonry/ locos  in the future and is a thus big for a small truck but with just a print variation allows for packing standardisation which might help keep unit costs down for likes of the awaited 17/ 23 ......( add other announced projects here!)

collectors will hopefully flat pack card as a futures investment for flea bay in 2121...   !

Hi Robert,

basically your spot on, although the 17 and 23 plus any twin or train packs will use plastic boxes for protection, but even these are slightly large when used for the 17 or 23, but perfect for a pacific loco or a co-co diesel or electric.

Cheers

Dave

Which shops will have stock of these wagons?

Happy modelling.

Steven B.

Hi Steven,

An DJModels stockist can order them, and some have, but a few haven't.

If a favourite of yours hasn't or dozens want to, its unfortunate, but rest assured all the main retailers have.

HTH

Cheers

Dave

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

I'm pleased to say that the first batch of Mermaid wagons (BR Black) have now left China and are currently in a container hopefully loading onto a ship today.

So in theory they should be at all DJM stockists who have ordered within 6 or so weeks.

I have, this last week, sent out review models to members of the press so the reviews should hit the magazines around the same time.

Cheers

Dave

• Like 6

I assume the other liveries won't be far behind?

As the mermaids are such an expensive wagon, I will not be running the next batch until this batch of 1000 units is sold and I have recouped my costs.

Simply put, although I'm not taking profit from these (not one penny due to the exchange rate crash of last year) I want to make sure that the retailers (the manufacturers lifeblood in my opinion) can make a standard profit per wagon sold if sold at rrp, and I don't want to push the price past the £20.00 barrier, as I think that by doing so I would enter dubious territory regarding N gauge rolling stock and prices.

So each run, will come off the back of the proceeding run, unless my cash flow improves.

Hope that helps

Cheers

Dave

• RMweb Gold

Apologies for being so late to the party but Dave kindly gave me one of the Mermaids at RMWeb day a couple of weeks ago so that I could invalidate any warranty!! I shall be converting it to 2FS standards, changing the couplings and weathering it.

I probably won't get time this side of Railex at Aylesbury but as soon as I do I will post the results here and on my Tucking Mill thread. Suffice to say I am very impressed with the sample I have, the underframe in particular is a superb piece of moulding.

Jerry

• Like 3

Hot off the camera, the first view of the Mermaid, I must say the chassis is truly exceptional. There was one part of the brake rigging which has gone astray in some images but has since shown up. The end bar mechanism and chains are an eteched part. The wagon is weighted under the upper body but feels a little light at 6g but it would be possible to add more weight beneath the separate ballast load if desired. The load itself will be ballast coloured in the production run.

attachicon.gifimage001.jpg

attachicon.gifimage002.jpg

attachicon.gifimage003.jpg

attachicon.gifimage004.jpg

attachicon.gifimage005.jpg

attachicon.gifimage006.jpg

attachicon.gifimage007.jpg

attachicon.gifimage008.jpg

attachicon.gifimage009.jpg

attachicon.gifimage010.jpg

attachicon.gifimage011.jpg

attachicon.gifimage012.jpg