Steam In Devon

Garry Morris

Thankyou for sharing all the b&w steam. Interesting to see 1011 County of Chester on the see wall. It was the last County left in late 1964 at Swindon. As far as I can establish it was in charge of the last steam hauled passenger train out of Plymouth on the GW mainline on 24th August 1963. Piloted to Newton Abbot by D6305. All subsequent passenger steam being railtours. I am guessing that this date would have been a Bank Holiday Summer Saturday as very little steam was about in the summer of I963.

• RMweb Gold

Thankyou for sharing all the b&w steam. Interesting to see 1011 County of Chester on the see wall. It was the last County left in late 1964 at Swindon. As far as I can establish it was in charge of the last steam hauled passenger train out of Plymouth on the GW mainline on 24th August 1963. Piloted to Newton Abbot by D6305. All subsequent passenger steam being railtours. I am guessing that this date would have been a Bank Holiday Summer Saturday as very little steam was about in the summer of I963.

According to Dad's spotting log, it was August 2nd 1962 - a Thursday. There is no indication of the service - just the shed - 82B.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

We popped over to Buckfastleigh on Tuesday, mainly to have a look at the in Expressway Models but it was good to see 3205 again as one of my dad's work colleagues helped restore her when on the SVR. The kids were also intrigued by the auto train working with Prairie 5542.

You obviously had much better weather!  ;)

Castle Class 7001 Sir James Milne climbs past Waterside. It is the 8.55 from Newton Abbot to Kingswear but carries a reporting number, headboard and express lamps with a rather motley collection of stock. This is in preparation for the up 11.25 Torbay Express to Paddington.31.7.58

post-12275-0-03576000-1487542969_thumb.jpg

Edited by Garry Morris
  • Like 9

Castle Class 7001 Sir James Milne climbs past Waterside. It is the 8.55 from Newton Abbot to Kingswear but carries a reporting number, headboard and express lamps with a rather motley collection of stock. This is in preparation for the up 11.25 Torbay Express to Paddington.31.7.58

Well i must say, i have never seen a photo, at waterside camp with that

building/cabin on the beach side before.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

The Great Britain X Railtour (6/5/17) passing Totnes with Lord Dowding (Braunton) and Royal Scot. Unfortunately it was raining for this section of the trip. The first steam to Penzance this year. The locos would come off at Plymouth to be replaced by a 47. They will work back from Penzance tomorrow.

post-12275-0-42773400-1494099033_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

That track needs some serious attention, wherever it is!

Brian.

I think that is the approach to Paignton looking towards Torquay, taken from the road crossing or platform, with a long lens,

edit - this view

post-7081-0-43733100-1528578184_thumb.jpg

3 x class 143 arrive at Paignton 17/6/2014

cheers

Edited by Rivercider

Paignton 9.6.18 sees Black 5 45212 from a railtour moved down to the stops at the back of The Paignton Picture House so that the Class 4 standard can be watered. Plenty of interest from grockles! Railtour locos arriving at Kingswear run light engine to Churston for turning then to Paignton for coaling and watering before returning to Kingswear to join their train.

post-12275-0-65307700-1528636256_thumb.jpg

• Like 3