Steam In Devon

Garry Morris

• RMweb Premium

On loan from Tyseley this summer is this Pannier tank. Seen at Paignton 9.6.18

Did this go down to Bodmin first? I ask as I overtook an LT 57xx on the A30 heading out of Cornwall the other day, but as I was driving, I could not pay much attention. 

• 2 weeks later...

Did this go down to Bodmin first? I ask as I overtook an LT 57xx on the A30 heading out of Cornwall the other day, but as I was driving, I could not pay much attention.

Bodmin had the pannier from the South Devon railway on loan. It has now returned

• 11 months later...

I don't know much about the LNER which was way outside my spotting area, but these A4s and other superpower locos are at their best on the mainline maintaining the max speed limit rather than tiddling around with a 25MPH limit.  Same for any regions top link engine, but it may be expedient for them to venture off the mainline for whatever reason and this does give an opportunity for many more to see them in action in different parts of the country.

Brian

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Ramblin Rich said:

Does this imply there won't be any more A4 hauled trains in the future?

Number 9 is in the last few months of its mainline ticket and is planned to be retired at the end of it. Bittern is also out of ticket for the foreseeable future.

However, 60007 will be returning to the mainline on completion of its current overhaul, so all is not lost.

CE5FB101-B9E3-44F0-B803-A94BEDA9BB75.jpeg.e22b976c4e6d0d177e7607dfe276c216.jpeg

Edited by MPR
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<Thanks, I knew UoSA was coming to its end>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

What has Trump :wacko: been saying now?  Didn't' know it was that bad!

If we're talking S160 what's wrong?

Brian.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 6 months later...
On 17/09/2016 at 20:36, Garry Morris said:

Today's visit of Princess Elizabeth (17/09/16) as it saunters through Dawlish. I had imagined spectacular smoke and steam amidst bikini clad young ladies in the shot but neither were to be!

Bikini-clad young ladies go to Torquay, sensibly-dressed middle-age ladies go to Dawlish.

Your best bet (for the former) is Goodrington Sands and steam from Paignton to Kingswear.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 07/08/2016 at 22:59, phil_sutters said:

and another batch!

I am not sure of the location of the shot of 34024 - I do have Dad's spotting logs, so may be able to track it down by a trawl through 1964! If anyone can instantly identify it - do tell! It may be it's not in Devon - in which case .......

is it Exeter St.Davids?

• 3 years later...
  • RMweb Premium

DSC02325-1.jpg.ddf6dafb18d3ca14f23215dab274e8b3.jpg

I'm starting to scan old negatives - I have some way to go with learning the software, but here is an early effort - a photograph taken on 7th July 1985 next to the Teign estuary.

• Like 5