Heaton Lodge Junction

• 4 weeks later...

Don't mind admitting it's been a frustrating few weeks. On the positive side almost 45ft of 180ft of Heaton Lodge is totally complete, and I'm really happy with a fairly large wood that I've constructed which was on the real location next to the tracks in the '80's.

On a negative note as I mentioned before I've had to wipe out 12ft of scenery on the North embankment as I stupidly misread the map of how high and low the embankments are. I know no one but me would have known but it would always have bugged me! Ripping up trees, demolishing stone walls and covering static grass with more plaster isn't much fun.

Then to top it off I knocked over a full jar of AK interactive slimy green dye all over Norman Saunders meticulously ballasted track.! After taking 5 minutes to compose myself I've reballasted the affected area, used model mates oil stains to disguise the green. It now sort of looks like there's been recent track work which i'll reinforce with the addition of stray sleepers, some rail and a couple of pallets.

I've had a good run with the first 40ft all going like clockwork so I can't really complain..

post-25007-0-51896900-1472243369.jpeg

Edited by HeatonLodge40
  • Like 5

Simon.

Hoover your house carpet, empty the bag into a container and generously cover the effected area with the hoover dust then brush it off. It might not disguise it altogether but it will certainly help to tone it down.

Cheers.

Allan

Fag ash has a similar effect. I learnt this at the side of the late Ken Longbottom, many years ago, on Diggle, Halebarnes & Westport. Given that I cannot recall ever seeing Ken without a ciggy, he had a fair supply of the stuff, I guess...

I fear the challenge will be getting the adjacent board to match, but having seen the fabulous work so far, I am sure the team will rise to it.

Best

Simon (another one)

• 2 weeks later...

A GP Tramm permanent way machine has been helping me with some light civil engineering work on this last bank tonight :)

These random patches of gravel at Heaton Lodge in the '80's were often to be seen. The GP Tramm by the way is badged still in Network Rail logo's but is awaiting heavy weathering and conversion to BR numbers and logos

post-25007-0-04838600-1473200125_thumb.jpg

• Like 15

Finally I'm now running 3 cables each side of the 180ft length inside the concrete troughing. It works out quicker gluing 3 cables side by side over each 4ft board then laying the 'concrete' trunking over the top instead of messing about with tiny bits of wire and feeding them in.

Its kind of nice to know its actually there even though 90% of it can't be seen..Shame it can't actually be used :)

post-25007-0-60792900-1473200529.jpg

• Like 19

• 1 month later...

Just a quick update..

The building of the first double junction by Norman Saunders is almost complete. What's interesting is the diamond on the junction is actually a switchable version similar to two sets of points back to back.

All the Westinghouse point motors, stretch bars and a huge amount of additional detail has been added, and yep it all actually works!

Here's a couple of shots showing the detail before ballasting and painting, after which the whole 12ft or so will come to me to have the scenery and lineside detail added.

Further up the thread is a pic of the real location complete with gantry which has also been faithfully reproduced.

I'll update in a month or so with the complete junction completely finished with all the track circuit transmitters, speed signs, ballast bins and relay boxes.

post-25007-0-99139800-1477678910_thumb.jpg

post-25007-0-88395700-1477678947_thumb.jpg

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold

Just a quick update..

The building of the first double junction by Norman Saunders is almost complete. What's interesting is the diamond on the junction is actually a switchable version similar to two sets of points back to back.

All the Westinghouse point motors, stretch bars and a huge amount of additional detail has been added, and yep it all actually works!

Here's a couple of shots showing the detail before ballasting and painting, after which the whole 12ft or so will come to me to have the scenery and lineside detail added.

Further up the thread is a pic of the real location complete with gantry which has also been faithfully reproduced.

I'll update in a month or so with the complete junction completely finished with all the track circuit transmitters, speed signs, ballast bins and relay boxes.

Wow .... just ... wow!

Rich

• RMweb Gold

I've never seen switch diamonds modelled before......fantastic work !

It is indeed wonderful although there is a case for saying that they are actually easier than a fixed diamond crossing.

But if you think it's good in 7mm, tune into the Euston thread. There, in 2mm, Jez is doing switched diamonds in double slips!!!