Heaton Lodge Junction

• RMweb Gold

Today has been a bit of a milestone in the first train ever to run on Heaton Lodge (the model obviously) did a short while ago.

Had across the chaps from White Rose modelworks in Bedale who construct the boards and electrics. Eleven boards were joined & the electrics connected before 40057 (a Healey Mills loco)  took 3 Heljan cargowaggen flats up and down for an hour faultlessly and smoothly.

I'm wondering what I'm creating here given the 45ft in the pictures seems so long but what you see is slightly less than a quarter of the total length when complete!

Regarding rolling stock its dawned on me that taking into consideration the weight of 20 100T TEA bogie tanks, all the freight wagons will have to be fitted with ball race bearing for as free running as possible. I doubt the screwlink coupling will hold too so looks like Kadee's are on the cards..

Can't wait to see a '56 & 50 x Dapol MGR's (when they bring them out).

Wow - 20 100t-bogie tanks is going to be one hell of a length!  I presume there's more off-scene trackwork than whats in the pictures??!!??!!  Will look brilliant tho!

Rich

• Like 1

Thanks for the positive words.

As some will know the 180ft length includes covered 10ft curves at each end whereupon the 4 tracks reappear into a 12 road fiddle yard which is the same length as the public viewing side.

Next update in a few weeks.

Simon

• Like 6

Regarding rolling stock its dawned on me that taking into consideration the weight of 20 100T TEA bogie tanks, all the freight wagons will have to be fitted with ball race bearing for as free running as possible.

Wow - 20 TEAs will look fantastic! Will you be using the PRMRP kit for these?

Yes I bought 1 TEA as a 'test kit' about a year back. They will be getting a phone call in the not too distant future.

The TEA''s will be branded with ICI logos (although they'll be filthy) as many passed through HL in the '80's.

I've built 4 of them so I'm really looking forward to seeing this!

• 1 month later...

I was pointed here by another Webber, this layout and its execution is bo@@dy awesome.

I for one would love to see it in the flesh when it's completed, be worth hiring a mini bus for the like minded!!!!

Jinty ;)

Minibus? Minibus?  I reckon there'd be enough like-minded souls to fill a steam / classic oiler-hauled special to the first venue!

Edited by Osgood
  • Like 3

Thanks again for the positive words of encouragement!

Another update.. the first of the two junctions at Heaton Lodge is almost completed. Just a few tweaks and the ballasting remains to be done by Norman before it comes back to me for scenic treatment.

Here is a reminder of what is being modelled - the junction where the Huddersfield line splits off the Calder Valley line to drop down and burrow under the CV line before heading South. As per the early/mid 1980's of course..

post-25007-0-21069500-1482405061_thumb.jpg

• Like 10

Worth pointing out the track replicates the real concrete/wooden track in the same locations in the 1980's. The two tracks on the right (ex-LNWR) were concrete (Peco components) the wooden points/track sections on the Calder Valley were mixed in with concrete sections too. Concrete again is Peco components, the wooden is Peco flat bottom modified to give the correct scale distances..

This view looks East..

post-25007-0-30717500-1482405648.jpg

• Like 11

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Detail of the points..cranks/stretcher bars etc

Hi Simon,

Superb as ever!  Are the various point cranks and rods scratch built or are they commercial items?  Any chance you could tell us where the cast numbers on the sleepers came from?

Rich

• Like 2

Hi Simon,

Superb as ever!  Are the various point cranks and rods scratch built or are they commercial items?  Any chance you could tell us where the cast numbers on the sleepers came from?

Rich

Hi Rich,

Yes the point cranks and rods are scratch built. The cast numbers are 2mm plastic items from Slaters. 

Right now I'm scratchbuilding five sets of TCT's - those are the yellow track circuit transmitters which transmit a low current to the rails (on the prototype) which change the signal aspects. I'll be adding all these and a load more detail plus the scenery of course when I pick up the junction from Norman Saunders soon.

• Like 4