Heaton Lodge Junction

Hi Simon,

I'm sure it's been mentioned before but I cannot find it, can you tell me who's product your using for ballast? Looks like Woodland Scenics range? If so what size did you decide on?

I cannot wait to see all the sections of the layout joined together, I'm sure it will be worth it.

All the best,

Martyn.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for that, yes I've seen that snap. I've one somewhere with two 40's pulling 20 vans which will certainly be replicated.!

Quick update.. right now I'm hard at it every evening building an office/workshop using stud walling and painting a ceiling white in the old mill basement I'm renting which is 186ft x 90ft! Got myself an airless paint sprayer which is worth its weight in gold. Beats a roller hands down..Once the floor and walls are done and the whole model assembled in its entirety for the first time (about 75ft) - I will update.

Simon

Edited by HeatonLodge40
  • Like 7

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

It is indeed very impressive. 

One thought does strike me though, levelling. Because the layout is so huge might you encounter problems with finding an exhibition hall where the floor is level enough over that kind of distance ? Perhaps adjustable screw jacks on the legs, a benchmark on every board and a laser levelling device or similar ? 

These might already be built into your overall design and I have missed it while enjoying the scenery .... 

It is indeed very impressive.

One thought does strike me though, levelling. Because the layout is so huge might you encounter problems with finding an exhibition hall where the floor is level enough over that kind of distance ? Perhaps adjustable screw jacks on the legs, a benchmark on every board and a laser levelling device or similar ?

These might already be built into your overall design and I have missed it while enjoying the scenery ....

It's a good point. Each trestle has an adjustable surface onto which each frame rests.

On a set up a laser level on a tripod will indicate that the top of each trestle is exactly the same as the one before.

To complicate matters though the 1:137 gradient on the prototype (from East to West) is built in meaning even though the trestles are exactly the same level, the track is still rising gradually. Overall at the west end of the model the track will be 14cms higher than the track at the East end - so roughly a scale 1:137

Edited by HeatonLodge40
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Ah, I had missed that design aspect. 

That said its something to take into consideration for smaller layouts too. My previous layout ended up with the fiddle yards on an incline as the wall they were fixed to sank a bit. 

I do look forward to seeing the whole thing in operation, inspiration indeed. 

• RMweb Gold

This will definitley be a layout to visit, even in a fixed location if it cant make various exhibitions. Even though the era is not my preference, the scenery and track laying is such high qaulity and so inspirational I would have to see it close up to fully enjoy it and take it in. Perhaps the venue would lend itself to a permanent model railway exhibition, skills centre and shop along the lines of Pendon? 

• Like 1