Heaton Lodge Junction

• RMweb Premium

Simon,

To say it is "looking very good" is somewhat of a gross understatement. In total awe of your skills, patience, vision and drive to get things looking spot on. Keep up the fantastic good work.

• RMweb Gold

I'm convinced that you are superimposing pictures of the real bridge onto your layout build.

Stunning!

Kev.

(I just love the touch with the dead ferns.)

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Looks very realistic to me. 

I see you have modelled all the pot holes and bad tarmac patching based on photos of the bottom of my street..... 

Actually I wish they would just scrape the tarmac off, the setts are underneath it all. 

• Like 2

You might be invited to drive at Warley yet, as I’ve a small team of volunteers but not the 15 I’m going to need.

Going back to the bridge (I’m getting OCD over this flamin bridge) on seeing the photos the warning stripes look tatty and I don’t like the rust so they’ve both gone soon to be replaced.

I’ve also repainted the girder with Alclad steel - not prototypical but it looks infinitely better.

I’ll post a pic tonight

Thanks to all

I'd have thought you would be more than inundated with offers to supply the 15 you need for Warley.

I really like the fact it also looks like a bridge from underneath and isn't just flat bottomed behind the facade.

Duly noted..

It will be elsewhere before Warley 2020 (but not at an exhibition) - more info about this next year :)

I’ve forced myself to move on from the bridge - I’ve 12ft to finish as per the photo before the end of this year to keep on schedule.

It’s not all civil engineering though, with constant problems like for example the catches that secure each frame being unable to be thrown once scenery is built over them.

This means each catch now has an aluminium plate screwed over it to provide enough room to throw the catch. Only solution I could come up with.

Just before the bridge I’m modelling the muddy entrance to a field.

The green Perspex sheet has been cut to shape before one side is painted a greeny brown colour for the muddy water. I’m going to model mud ruts over the top with DAS then gloss varnish the ‘puddles’ before painting the ‘mud’. It’ll be finished off with a 5 bar gate and stile.

post-25007-0-60186300-1543322142_thumb.jpeg

post-25007-0-58485700-1543322162_thumb.jpeg

post-25007-0-57356200-1543322181_thumb.jpeg

• Like 14

Couldn’t help but go back to modelling the muddy ground which will form an entrance to a field complete with battered gate etc which are still to add.

I’m pleased with this..it’s simply done as follows - (photos in wrong order though)

1) Small piece of Perspex painted mucky green on one side.

2) With painted side down hot glue down at the edges.

3) Thin layer - 1mm - of DAS covering 75% of the Perspex leaving a few gaps.

4) use a model vehicle to make tyre tracks in the clay - lots of them criss crossing.

5) use the end of some brass tube filed away to make a horseshoe shape

6) use this to make the horseshoe marks in the clay

7) let the whole lot dry

8) remove more of the clay with a scalpel where some of the tyre tracks are to reveal more ‘puddles’.

9) paint the clay a variety of mud browns with a hint of green.

(I used AK interactive dark mud and also their muddy earth tub but any earthy tones are fine)

10) when all dry a dab of PVA here and there and use a static grass gun to fire some washed out static grass at it. (There will be loads that won’t stick obviously so vac off the excess. Additionally I used tweezers to thin the tufts as they can be too thick initially)

11) bit of sieved earth sprinkled on the tufts

12) use gloss varnish (I use the Humbrol stuff in a jar) and with a small paintbrush give 95% of it a good coat to mimic the wet mud including the Perspex ‘puddles’.

That’s about it..

post-25007-0-76661100-1543490599_thumb.jpeg

post-25007-0-31695600-1543490734_thumb.jpeg

post-25007-0-84456500-1543490832_thumb.jpeg

post-25007-0-25636500-1543490851_thumb.jpeg

post-25007-0-94359700-1543490872_thumb.jpeg

Edited by HeatonLodge40
  • Like 11

Fabulous work. Not sure I could do it on any model of mine but I was wondering if you'll have any 80s litter blowing around? These days its whole bathrooms and piles of plasterboard in gate places but back then it was a different class of crud: bottle of Panda Pop, a Marathon wrapper or packet of Smiths Crisps with the blue packet of salt perhaps, a jazz mag caught in the bushes... perhaps not with 5 year olds with the best view. 

Edited by number6
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I've seen snippets of the layouts in various publications in the last couple of years. But have just gone though this thread I'm completely blown away by this model. It's stunning. Makes my ambitions in N look a bit underwhelming  :scratchhead: If only had the space to do something in modern O . . . . 

Working on the 1:1 scale railway on the infrastructure side, you've captured the realism with transitions in ballast, line side equipment etc. 

It's an area that will no doubt significantly change in the next Control Period as Transpennine Route Upgrade West (TRUw) enhances the line in this area. Plus already changed after Huddersfield to Bradford Signalling re-control.

But the period your modelling is just my period too, 1980's BR Sector in the Eastern region. The TTAs in Shell mono block livery are very reminiscent of the Stanlow - York Dringhouses - Scarborough / Harrogate oil flow, which run until 1992.

Looking forward to seeing some Heljan 56s on here in due course, plus some Heljan 31s.

Edited by richierich

Over 80 hours now spent on these two bridges and I’m still a few days off finishing them.

The track circuit detectors are in the correct location above the double track bridge( these are 2mm slices of brass rod painted yellow & decoder wire to ‘connect’ them to the rails) , fences and steel safety barriers in. It’s come out well though I think.

The field gate is a Peco item sanded down to half it’s width (way too thick the original) and the dry stone walls by 10 commandments.

post-25007-0-75324700-1544813624_thumb.jpeg

post-25007-0-06863800-1544813665_thumb.png

post-25007-0-53656100-1544813690_thumb.jpeg

post-25007-0-88456300-1544813709_thumb.jpeg

post-25007-0-78704900-1544813724_thumb.jpeg

post-25007-0-84302400-1544813741_thumb.jpeg

• Like 15