Heaton Lodge Junction

12 hours ago, Simond said:

Simon,

brilliant plan, it sounds like a winner and I wish you every success!

(I do hope my sense of humour didn’t offend...)

atb

Simon

Ha take a lot more to offend me than that! Thanks :) 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

For those interested in electrics I use 3m snap lok connectors to attach the droppers to the main bus wires.

There are some cheaper Chinese copies but they don’t seem quite as reliable in my opinion.

Each of the fiddle yard boards uses 20 amp connectors with plugs and sockets. Tested everything and working well so far

A43CEB4A-0BA9-4754-B5EF-3F34D4361F26.jpeg

• Like 8

I presume that the comments you have been getting on this thread have given you some idea of how this layout is being talked about, but just in case I think I should tell you that over the last two weekends in the north east (England that is) I have attended two show, one helping out a trader and one as an exhibitor of 7mm 1970 blue diesels... and your train set appears to be on every enthusiasts lips, even those who don't 'do' diesels or O gauge.  Many are saying they will be going to Warley (after never going in the past) JUST to see your train set. 

Like I said in my earlier post, I feel sorry for anyone else taking their 'pride and joy' to Warley next year :sorry:.

Peter

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, HeatonLodge40 said:

I should say too the last thing I wish to do is to upset any other exhibitors, it’s partly the efforts of others that have inspired me to do this 

If anybody is 'upset' by you or yours, then they should be cast out!

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

18 hours ago, FiftyFourA said:

and your train set appears to be on every enthusiasts lips, even those who don't 'do' diesels or O gauge.  Many are saying they will be going to Warley (after never going in the past) JUST to see your train set.

Peter,

Sorry to be picky but a train set comes in a box this is clearly a model railway in so many ways

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

As I understand it, it will come in a box.   It's just that the box is 40' long, 8' wide and probably 9'6" high and is a little too big to be delivered by parcelfarce.

Jamie

... or even a 'box van' perhaps?

Umm no..the whole model will go in 3 ‘highliner’ articulated trucks with double internal decks. 

I’ve designed 3 types of T bar handcarts to carry the eventual 100 odd frames.

Type 1 takes 2 scenic frames stacked one above the other (like bread trays) with a 9’’ gap between. 

Type 2 takes 3 fiddle yard boards stacked on their side with ‘stanchions’ in between

Type 3 is a general handcart to carry stock, spares, tools etc

On top of this are the 80 or so aluminium frames c/w castors some of which I’ve built already.

Some of these ‘buffer up’ no pun intended to the far scenic side to extend the width by 3 feet and will carry less detailed scenery fading into a back scene.

Theres also the front angled aluminium frames also on castors which will run down the front of the model - these will have interchangeable plastic panels onto which is info about the model/prototype etc - all in good old BR typeface.

I do have an HGV class 1 license but I’ll probably end up hiring the trucks to transport it. All the aforementioned T bar carts once loaded with the frames will simply wheel onto the trucks via the tail lift.

I think 6/8 people should be able to set it up in a day. But I guess we’ll see!

• Like 13
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

It’s not all good fun either..

When laying cork over the fiddle yard boards I didn’t separate them, instead leaving them latched together.

Ive done this before whereupon once PVA is dry and cork cut down the join, a tug will pull them apart.

Yesterday I spent 4 hours trying to separate 2 boards that had welded themselves together with PVA that had leaked into the join. After using chisels & crowbars I finally had to bend them apart standing them on their sides and wedged against a wall. 

Result? They broke apart ok but all the ends of the track and 3 points damaged ..

I’ll be corking one board at a time from now on ..

A0F6D5AC-BB30-4659-8564-6C04E7D4C049.jpeg

• Friendly/supportive 14

frustrating...

I've seen photos of people doing this with clingfilm or cellophane or something similar in the gap - then again, will it add much to the time or labour of the job if you do them separate?

atb

Simon

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Please don't do this again as it add's time to seeing the layout in the flesh... hehehe

We all live and learn .... I done exactly the same a few years ago and it took ages to separate the boards and fix the damage that it caused....:mad:

Keep up the great work

Jim

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...