Heaton Lodge Junction

• RMweb Gold

Just stay focused on the end goal please.... I and many others will be queuing up around the street / shopping centre to see this layout .... Personally I can't wait ;)0

I bet some others whom want to remain nameless will be doing the same.....

Surely It's about the passion / hobby ...... Well it is for me

Jim

• Agree 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, jcarta said:

Just stay focused on the end goal please.... I and many others will be queuing up around the street / shopping centre to see this layout .... Personally I can't wait ;)0

I bet some others whom want to remain nameless will be doing the same.....

Surely It's about the passion / hobby ...... Well it is for me

Jim

Don't forget the enjoyment.

Mike.

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

On 24/07/2019 at 16:20, HeatonLodge40 said:

Yes the McArthur Glen Designer Outlets at York and Swindon late next year. 

I have watched this project develop for a while - simply stunning and for me just the right era. For the record, I hate shopping, am not a great fan of Christmas and I do not know what 'McArthur Glen' sells but I do know I will be doing my Christmas shopping in Swindon!!!!!!!! Keep up the good work.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Sorry to come back to this, but, well, sure, I can see a layout like this taking money. Damned good use for money if you ask me, using it to enable the skills required to build such a layout get their chance to shine! Couldn't afford or have the ability to do it myself so I'll quite happily appreciate what someone else can do instead.

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

• Funny 10

Love the comment about reducing the length of the fiddle yards by 25 ft most people would love 25ft fiddle yards just shows how large this layout is really looking forward to seeing it when it comes out into the daylight 

• Agree 5

13 hours ago, class27 said:

Absolutely incredible job Simon. Will this work as a one man operation or will some lucky friends be helping!

Thanks. If I’m on my own I just plan when it’s finished to spend all day watching 4 trains going by. After a few beers with the model being so large I’ll have forgotten what trains they were anyway.

At an exhibition there will be 2 operators per fiddle yard, a relief and probably a signal man :) 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Funny 2

14 hours ago, millerhillboy said:

when you see those locos parked in the fiddleyard that would constitute a significant fiddleyard even at 2mm scale but to think these are 7mm locos is actually quite mind blowing.

There was only one thing I mainly wanted to achieve with this model. 

That is (rewinding to when I was 12) seeing the high intensity light of say a grid approaching a mile away.

That can only be achieved with size and I’ve often just taken a cursory glance down the scenery side as I’m working at one end (almost now at a scale mile but when finished 1.3 miles) 

and it’s deja vu all over again. It’s like looking back to 1984. 

• Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, HeatonLodge40 said:

After a few beers with the model being so large I’ll have forgotten what trains they were anyway.

Is that the size of the model? Or do you like strong beers?

PS: I will happily bring the beers.

Edited by Joseph_Pestell
Add
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, HeatonLodge40 said:

Thanks. If I’m on my own I just plan when it’s finished to spend all day watching 4 trains going by. After a few beers with the model being so large I’ll have forgotten what trains they were anyway.

At an exhibition there will be 2 operators per fiddle yard, a relief and probably a signal man :) 

I have been a signalman for nearly 40 years and I can purchase / drink beer and train spot so where do I need to send my application form....

Jim

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, jcarta said:

I have been a signalman for nearly 40 years and I can purchase / drink beer and train spot so where do I need to send my application form....

Jim

Jim the signal box was demolished in 1970 so you’ll have to sit on the bridge parapet :) 

Might hold you to that tho!

Edited by HeatonLodge40
Edited for spelling
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, HeatonLodge40 said:

Talking of scenery I’m quickly refreshing each of the completed 28 4’ frames.

I give them a vac then liberally spray matt varnish over absolutely everything making sure I wipe the tops of the rails.

I use spray matt varnish for a lot of things but to refresh scenery it works a treat bringing out colours again, plus everything looks more vibrant..

I use Rustoleum Matt Spray Varnish.

This is frame 1 so treated with a bit more runny superglue tipped down the ‘stonework’ to give the damp effect.. 

FAEC2DE6-F5CB-46FF-BC26-8BE10799FC56.png

Interesting - I've never heard of that technique before. What make of matt spray varnish do you use ? I may give that method a try.

Brit15