Heaton Lodge Junction

They are always very friendly my German friends! 

The dilapidated and weathered wall is in, which formed the old signal box base. Obviously the wooden part is long gone..Shame it’s not there still.

Heres a poor quality pic of it in its day 

673AE568-79AF-4A32-985B-2069D2AAD539.png

61693C7C-0D55-4352-A9A3-A5CBF54C938B.png

• Like 17
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

On 30/10/2019 at 17:07, TFR said:

This is absolutely incredible / mind-blowing. Would love to fly a drone over the length of this (if it wasn't so potentially damaging).

The sheer scale of it, not far off needing a Bell JetRanger complete with camera operator hanging off the side :lol:

I can confirm that the remains of the signal box base were certainly visible in the winter months in the late 70's. In summer they were covered by weed growth. Talking of weeds - the thing that sticks in my mind was the amount of Rose Bay Willow Herb that used to grow in and around the whole of the lineside areas. Flowers June-September, but its Wikipedia page (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chamaenerion_angustifolium) has an interesting note : 'The plant's rise from local rarity to widespread abundance seems to have occurred at the same time as the expansion of the railway network and the associated soil disturbance'. I understand the model is represented as being  outside these months, so the brick base would certainly be visible.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Wow. Only just switched on to this and had a good look. The idea and build quality are amazing. I cannot wait to see and study and hear it at some point. 
It will literally be an exhibition in its own right. So much detail to see and over such a vast area. 
Keep updating us and keep plugging away, you (plus help) are doing an amazing job.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

Spent a couple of hours on the footbridge at the real HLJ today observing.

Realised I have miscalculated the distance between the footbridge and the dive under tunnel that I’m about to begin modelling.

The distance on the real thing between these two objects is far shorter than on the model which is way too long. Oh well. 
Also realised I need to add yellow marking on various concrete sleepers and increase the amount of undergrowth on this part of the model.

However..the Freightliner driver of a clag ridden Class 70 dragging a ‘66’ past me gave a toot and a wave so it’s not all bad ..

BFC414B1-DBA7-4BB6-B470-291028B7439D.png

• Like 13

14 minutes ago, HeatonLodge40 said:

Also realised I need to add yellow marking on various concrete sleepers

Hi,

Those yellow markings are probably temporary for maintenance purposes and almost certainly won’t have been there since your time period, but there probably would have be totally different ones!

Simon

5 minutes ago, St. Simon said:

Hi,

Those yellow markings are probably temporary for maintenance purposes and almost certainly won’t have been there since your time period, but there probably would have be totally different ones!

Simon

Interesting thanks.
Yes on the pics I have from the ‘80’s & ‘90’s there are also many yellow marking which must denote those sleepers in need of replacement. 

This is the distance between the tunnel mouth and the footbridge maybe a ten coach express length.

How I got this wrong I’ll never know but in the model it’ll be twice as long ..

4EAC56A3-735A-46D8-85B7-DAD5E3A37891.png

• Friendly/supportive 2

19 hours ago, HeatonLodge40 said:

Interesting thanks.
Yes on the pics I have from the ‘80’s & ‘90’s there are also many yellow marking which must denote those sleepers in need of replacement. 

This is the distance between the tunnel mouth and the footbridge maybe a ten coach express length.

How I got this wrong I’ll never know but in the model it’ll be twice as long ..

4EAC56A3-735A-46D8-85B7-DAD5E3A37891.png

It's 212m from West face of footbridge to East face of tunnel portal...... trust me and don't ask any questions !

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
On 10/11/2019 at 13:12, St. Simon said:

Hi,

Simon

Probably not so temporary. The yellow painted sleeper normally indicates where a transition starts/ends 9depending on which direction you are going). The "yellow" is often supplemented by a black figure (1, 2, 3, etc.) to indicate the "cant". When wooden sleepers were the "norm", the cant was marked by a small cast  metal plate (something like 3" x 2") nailed to the sleeper. Modern markers are typically glued to the concrete sleepers but some times go missing/get knocked off. The "painted" variety  has the advantage of being more or less permanent and easier to see. 

• Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 2