Heaton Lodge Junction

8 minutes ago, Mick Bonwick said:

Absolutely wonderful. Now we really get to appreciate the size and scale of this fantastic masterpiece.

Thanks Mick.

On the second video the crossover is just less than half way along the model once it’s complete.

I’d always wanted to capture that feeling of expectancy you got as a kid when something was approaching.

Its only just beginning to happen now the model is two thirds finished :)

• Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

That's got to be the closest thing you can get to the real thing in model form, as you say the expectancy of an approaching train, the singing rails, the approaching noise and then the physical presence of a big heavy train blasting past.

My first experience would have been in about 1980ish as a young boy watching deltics blast past at line speed on the ECML, its a set of feelings that has never ever left me so I fully understand where you are coming from with the motivation for this layout.

You're also getting the noise and presence of the O gauge rolling stock which adds to the experience of a passing train which the smaller gauges lack (although have other benefits I suppose)

So the question is how are you going to reproduce the smell of the clag, that's the only thing missing now!!

25 minutes ago, millerhillboy said:

That's got to be the closest thing you can get to the real thing in model form, as you say the expectancy of an approaching train, the singing rails, the approaching noise and then the physical presence of a big heavy train blasting past.

My first experience would have been in about 1980ish as a young boy watching deltics blast past at line speed on the ECML, its a set of feelings that has never ever left me so I fully understand where you are coming from with the motivation for this layout.

You're also getting the noise and presence of the O gauge rolling stock which adds to the experience of a passing train which the smaller gauges lack (although have other benefits I suppose)

So the question is how are you going to reproduce the smell of the clag, that's the only thing missing now!!

My dads friend used to take me also to the ECML near Easingwold, like you I vividly remember about 1pm a deltic hauled express would always tear past. Never forgotten it.

The clag itself I’m still working on. Trouble is, with bass sound and a decoder it’s difficult to find space for a fan assisted smoke unit.

I will have some Heljan locos which will only work double headed with no sound but instead two fan assisted ESU smoke units.

Incidentally the Heljan locos are the only ones capable of hauling massive freight trains on HLJ as with their diecast chassis they have the weight. 

But no one has invented the proper black clag yet..it’ll materialise before long hopefully..

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, HeatonLodge40 said:

But no one has invented the proper black clag yet..it’ll materialise before long hopefully..

Donkey's years ago I tried white spirit in a Tri-ang smoke unit as I had run out of proper smoke oil. That definitely produced black clag...

Looking at that last photo - I remember that odd signal on the Westbound line before the tunnel. We never knew why such a signal was required there or why it was that type. It was illuminated internally at night. Can anyone familiar with signalling (a subject I'm not that well versed in) tell me about it?

Thanks.

On 22/11/2019 at 13:19, pippindoo said:

Looks like there's a handbrake on half way down the coal train, just saying!....Happy Days when such trains were such a regular feature 

In the late 70's it was exceptionally rare (in fact I can't actually remember a single one), to ever see a freight heading East, coming from Huddersfield to use the tunnel / duck-under line. Freights always used the 'old' route to come round the corner. That all changed presumably when they lifted one of the pair of lines leaving only the Westbound one. Similarly - very rare to ever see a passenger train use the 'old' route - perhaps (if my recollection is right) the odd FootEx special - the only reason I can offer is that they used to come round slower, then halt, awaiting a faster (regularly scheduled) train to come under the tunnel route, rejoin the main line and carry on its way. Also - passenger trains other than specials and empty stock workings were never seen using the Calder Valley line. Not sure when that changed - I'd moved on by then, but I'm guessing when Brighouse station was re-opened? Perhaps someone knows.

On 29/10/2019 at 16:23, AndrewT said:

On another note - I'm still curious when the footpath tunnel leading from the footbridge was lined with profiled steel. It certainly wasn't lined in my day, it was simply wet slimy stonework in there - and at the top of the wall, there were dark recesses formed between each steel 'roof' girder. One time we noticed something sticking out of one of those recesses - turned out to be an air rifle someone had stashed there - it wasn't in great condition, but we did hand it in to the police (PC Diggins as I remember!).

Just spotted this whilst catching-up with the thread. The arch was lined sometime around 2011 - the contractors were on site when I went to do an inspection of the footbridge (Bridge MVL4/4). I'm not at work today but should be able to find the exact date.

Andy

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

With the delivery of 36 MGR’s - which will act as a test train for the next 6 months, -  a Heljan 37 storms up the 1:137 gradient dragging the full load with no slipping whatsoever.

Credit where it’s due the Dapol MGR’s run far better than I expected, even running slowly backwards with no loco attached on a slope that’s almost impossible to spot. Dream team here me thinks..

I’ll upload the video of this later..

Edited by HeatonLodge40
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, HeatonLodge40 said:

These curves will deviate into what will be a slice of Healey Mills before finally joining the fiddle yard. That’s the plan anyway..

Ah! A bit of deviation. This sounds promising . . . . . . . . . . . .

• Like 1