Heaton Lodge Junction

• RMweb Gold

I'm seriously thinking of bringing binoculars to Warley next year!

(Nice heavy ones to put in my backpack along with a bottle of Tizer, some butties and a curly wurly.)

:blink:

Kev.

• Like 5

Cant wait to see this in the flesh being as I live about two miles away from the actual location. Would be nice to see the odd kettle coming through as well loads did around that time even the most famous one of all.

Mallard mirfield Aug 1988 .jpg

885262_10201579065416797_1169137783_o.jpg

img417_edited-1.jpg

Edited by sparkey1957
  • Like 13

Thanks for those photos. Brilliant! Looks like Evening Star is at Huddersfield there.

As I mentioned Evening Star will be doing the westbound charters (a 55H model with synchronised sound/ smoke) & a Hattons A4 (Mallard) the eastbound. There will be one steam charter in each direction every hour. 
Not exactly accurate but hey ho

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Get that track down ASAP..... You are now just toying with us ..... :o

Absolutely brilliant... As long as it takes a pair of 40's around that curve I don't care... with sound mind you and a seat plus a beer ... :drink_mini:

Jim

• RMweb Gold

Now you are starting too toy with us......

Hurry up and join those two bits of wood together .... please

Absolutely brilliant .... Can I book my ticket, seat and beer in advance :drink_mini: Please???????

Jim

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

I'm one of the lucky ones who has already seen this mammoth project for real.

Despite having seen pictures before the visit, that was no preparation for what really lay beyond the entrance door.

Waiting patiently now for the complete layout.

Crack on Simon.

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

In all my years of modelling, I have never seen anything of this size. It simply beggars belief. Even more amazing is the standard of modelling which is up there with the best I have seen. Simply stunning.

I only found the thread a day or so ago and last night, I sat quietly and started from the beginning. The quality of the woodwork and track laying, the scenic work and the overall reflection of a real location really are outstanding.

....and then the video where Andy and Simon just kept walking and walking and every few steps there were small details which on their own were award winning.

If ever a layout and space were crying out for a RMweb open day, this is it. Please.........!!!!!

As a petrol head all my life, I’d enjoy talking about our love of cars as well!

• Like 7
  • Agree 1

Thanks Gordon and everyone else who comments so positively.

It makes a huge difference especially - and being frank - when you’re on your own every day and you overthink constantly.
It’s becoming easier as the weeks pass as I can see the end in sight now. 

That’s not to say I mind constructive criticism either!

These last 7/8 5ft frames that complete the scenic side will be much more wintry - I’m working on a variety of ways to replicate snow and the piece in this months BRM about this was very well timed! 

In fact I’m off up to Bergen, Norway today to get a closer look at the real thing. Then a train from there to Oslo I’ve heard it’s pretty spectacular :) 

Edited by HeatonLodge40
  • Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Yes it is. You travel from sea level out of Oslo in the sunshine and after 4 hours or so, you are on top of the world....;)

IMG_3907.jpg.de1858fb9c0b048d6e6f75c09b074af0.jpg

Three hours more and you're back in the sunshine in Bergen.

Worth taking a trip on the Flam railway and taking the funicular up in Bergen and then walking back down. Some great views.....

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
40 minutes ago, gordon s said:

Yes it is. You travel from sea level out of Oslo in the sunshine and after 4 hours or so, you are on top of the world....;)

IMG_3907.jpg.de1858fb9c0b048d6e6f75c09b074af0.jpg

Three hours more and you're back in the sunshine in Bergen.

Worth taking a trip on the Flam railway and taking the funicular up in Bergen and then walking back down. Some great views.....

I agree with the comments regarding the Bergen funicular and the railway at Flam, although I confess I've only been to Flam in the summer (still spectacular views though). Also a nice little museum at Flam. 

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, HeatonLodge40 said:

The aforementioned video from a few days ago shows 40181 (a JLTRT kit) storm up the 1:137 gradient with a load testing train of 37 Dapol MGR’s.

Not nearly as heavy as a Heljan 40 I was surprised it managed it. Still, I aim to add 1kg of lead to 40181 to give it improved traction..

At the risk of repeating myself - absolutely marvellous.  Is the wheel noise from an ordinary rail joint or have you enlarged one to create the clacking? Just being nosey.

Edited by Mick Bonwick
Correcting speling erors.

• Moderators
26 minutes ago, HeatonLodge40 said:

I reckon it’ll manage 55-60 on this 1:137 gradient 

Environment to scale, trains to scale length and now we've got scaled performance. :unsureclear:

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, HeatonLodge40 said:

I think it’s a slight rail alignment issue but I’m minded to leave it, as I too like the sound

It sounds like a very prototypical dipped joint to me. Probably the sleeper next to an old style insulated fishplate pumping a bit. If it doesn't cause a running problem leave it there. Perhaps you could even put a bit of wet clay in the ballast there.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, TheSignalEngineer said:

It sounds like a very prototypical dipped joint to me. Probably the sleeper next to an old style insulated fishplate pumping a bit. If it doesn't cause a running problem leave it there. Perhaps you could even put a bit of wet clay in the ballast there.

I’ll dig the ballast out and have it inspected by PW staff :) 

• Like 7
  • Funny 2

More in Keeping with your prefered modelling theme, On a very murky day Large Logo 47537 `Sir Gwynedd/County of Gwynedd' coming round from the burowwing junction at Heaton Lodge probably on a Newcastle or Scarborough train. Date wise between 1987 - 1989 but not sure, should have made notes but too late was the cry.

47537 Heaton Lodge Jcn.jpg

Edited by sparkey1957
  • Like 14

Last two weeks has seen much laying of track on both the dive under section and the 4 tracks above it.

The 4 tracks are now beginning to separate - the two furthest heading towards Huddersfield and the two nearest continuing towards Hebden Bridge & the Calder Valley. 

In line with the prototype the Huddersfield lines super elevate on the curve here.
I reckoned about 3mm looked about right on the model so canted the tracks up gradually on card. Pleased with the way they look - radius is 30ft transition curve tightening to 25ft.

Downside is about a kilo of ballast needed to fill in the gaps this created so I’ve absolutely flooded the ballast with PVA after pre soaking it with fairy liquid and water. 

The double track is the finished and painted track work on the dive under section. As in the name these are also curving to dive under via a tunnel the Calder Valley lines and also head towards Huddersfield..

4C1AB7C3-B0FC-4D51-9FCF-4D92C27EF9AA.png

• Like 11