Heaton Lodge Junction

• RMweb Premium

I can only repeat what I and numerous others have previously said, simply stunning modelling! Don't know how you do it, but please don't stop. Can't wait to see it completed and in "action". 

• Agree 4

18 hours ago, iands said:

I can only repeat what I and numerous others have previously said, simply stunning modelling! Don't know how you do it, but please don't stop. Can't wait to see it completed and in "action". 

Thanks. I’m aiming for the ‘golden spike’ ie a full circuit by the end of March 

• Like 9

On 02/12/2019 at 14:08, sparkey1957 said:

More in Keeping with your prefered modelling theme, On a very murky day Large Logo 47537 `Sir Gwynedd/County of Gwynedd' coming round from the burowwing junction at Heaton Lodge probably on a Newcastle or Scarborough train. Date wise between 1987 - 1989 but not sure, should have made notes but too late was the cry.

47537 Heaton Lodge Jcn.jpg

Yes the down fast was lifted in 1986 and the dive under line singled in ‘88 so 87 my guess.

I tried to get a similar angle on the model just out of curiosity.. unfortunately no large logo 47 tho

F2E6EA26-C3AF-4467-AEF0-5684C9A7F24E.png

• Like 17

1_Colne_Bridge_and_BattyefordV2_FINAL.pdf

10 hours ago, HeatonLodge40 said:

Thought I’d seen most of them but not those thanks! 
Ironic Network Rail are going to be relaying it as part of the electrification scheme 

I assume you've seen the Network Rail plans for the scheme? - see attached.

1_Colne_Bridge_and_BattyefordV2_FINAL.pdf

Edited by AndrewT
Attachment
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, HeatonLodge40 said:

I hadn’t no thank you for that too.

I can see why the cottages will disappear..

Using part of the old Midland Railway Huddersfield (Newtown Goods) branch formation by the look of things. I assume, in the absence of available information from NR that the overall radius of the curve from / to Huddersfield for the new 'fast' lines is to be eased to allow higher speed running - hence the demolition of the houses and use of the disused MR track formation. Anyone out there from NR know??

Edited by AndrewT
spelling

I will be very surprised if we ever see this come to fruition. Its gone very quiet on all the the "Northern Powerhouse" Bull S**t . But never say never. Either way it will take years the cottages alone will be a CP issue which will drag on and on and so it should I wouldn't want turfing out my home either, also there may be listed building issues with them who knows.

Edited by sparkey1957

5 hours ago, sparkey1957 said:

I will be very surprised if we ever see this come to fruition. Its gone very quiet on all the the "Northern Powerhouse" Bull S**t . But never say never. Either way it will take years the cottages alone will be a CP issue which will drag on and on and so it should I wouldn't want turfing out my home either, also there may be listed building issues with them who knows.

Not listed - I just checked. They've already had local consultation meetings and intend to submit a Transport and Works Act order in Autumn 2020. I understand from another source that the work is expected to last until end of 2024 with around 156 weeks of line closure out of the total 208 week project. All details and all the other connecting maps here:  https://www.networkrail.co.uk/running-the-railway/railway-upgrade-plan/key-projects/transpennine-route-upgrade/huddersfield-to-westtown-dewsbury/

• Like 1

18 hours ago, AndrewT said:

Not listed - I just checked. They've already had local consultation meetings and intend to submit a Transport and Works Act order in Autumn 2020. I understand from another source that the work is expected to last until end of 2024 with around 156 weeks of line closure out of the total 208 week project. All details and all the other connecting maps here:  https://www.networkrail.co.uk/running-the-railway/railway-upgrade-plan/key-projects/transpennine-route-upgrade/huddersfield-to-westtown-dewsbury/

I will reiterate what I said before, Until I actually see it happening I will have my doubts. But I do hope i'm wrong. It will be a sad day  when/If the cottages go as well.

Edited by sparkey1957
  • Agree 1

21 hours ago, sparkey1957 said:

I will reiterate what I said before, Until I actually see it happening I will have my doubts. But I do hope i'm wrong. It will be a sad day  when/If the cottages go as well.

And I for one couldn't agree more. This area was a formative part of my teens and I'd hate to see some of the heritage lost for the sake of saving a few minutes on a journey. Thankfully - it's thanks to models of this sort and calibre (and attention to minute detail) help preserve those memories.

• Thanks 1

With track work and detailing on the lineside now complete on these two latest frames, I’m now on with infilling them with polystyrene carved to shape. 
I use small blocks of wood hot glued to the inner frames to prop up the lower polystyrene sheets and give them some strength. 

I then use gaffer tape frequently to cover gaps, it works for me despite having a shiny surface. 
Then it’s a thin coat of ready mixed smoother (plaster basically) which is dabbed with a spreader to roughen the surface.

On the other pic I’m constructing a stream below the track bed level.

I hot glued a length of plywood in first (checking with a spirit level) before carving polystyrene to fit and DAS clay to fill in the gaps. 
I’ll probably use some Woodland Scenics deep pour water for the stream itself - once I’ve planted dead branches, stones, an old cooker & toilet in it first :) 

765DF8F2-54FC-404A-B370-D7ACC269884C.png

2D189909-902D-467F-B000-A758BA178B54.png

• Like 16
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

It dries pretty quick, most of it ends up on me!

Here is the track plan superimposed onto a PC programme.

Thanks to a trio of IT wizards who have very kindly offered to give their time to help, HLJ will have the option of being either fully automated or fully manual control.

This means a non stop programme of complicated manoeuvres with constant heavy traffic can be programmed if train spotting is the order of the day..

One good thing about it’s size is that it will take so long for a train to make a full circuit, it’s doubtful whether the viewing public would remember it should the same train be sent straight out again.

A210671D-9DFE-456D-8982-4832ED02F012.png

Edited by HeatonLodge40
Spelling
  • Like 13

6 hours ago, LongRail said:

I would have thought using gaffer tape so close to the edge of the scenic work ie near to the troughing route was a bit risky and could lead to cracking when the layout is moved around.

Well it’s done now. My thinking is if I’ve built it then I can fix it :) 

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

So with a final skim of plaster now on, once this lot is dry I’ll paint the whole shebang with brown emulsion. 
Then it’s static grass time.

The plastic see through sheets between frames you may notice are there to stop the scenery and ballast bonding where you don’t want them to.

04064CD3-56C4-4F41-9A3C-EEF3848BED6A.jpeg

75308A1D-17AE-4070-842A-C647BE95C034.jpeg

• Like 15
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2