Heaton Lodge Junction

28 minutes ago, Mick Bonwick said:

This might not be a high-speed line, but it seems to me it's high-speed progress. Truly inspirational, Simon, and thank you for allowing us all to watch your progress..

Thank you Mick.

From next week with another van load of frames delivered the emphasis will have to move from scenery to laying the track to complete a full circuit.

Then at least I can let trains run for hours at a time ‘to test them’ while returning to finish the scenery.

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, HeatonLodge40 said:

Final pic..

As it is today..rationalised obviously.

Fortunately I’ve got the room to model the narrow river too in the foreground 

That's a view that's worth saving for future reference to compare with Network Rail's proposed changes as part of the Trans Pennine Route Upgrade at that location.  That's on the assumption, of course, their current plans do eventually progress to actual work.

Nice shot of 6E32 returning to Lindsey OR too.

Simon,

1:  Wonderful to see credit given to Allan- I am sure he'd be right in it with you if he was still with us.

2:  Nice to see a Dent (S&C) mug :)

-in honesty, you are cracking along at a super rate, and doing so in a way which is a total credit to the people who have done work for you, and that you are acknowledging.  Heaton Lodge will be your layout, of that there is no doubt, but you are free and honest about who has worked on it for you.  I have a huge amount of respect for you over that- track by Peco, Locos by Heljan, Wagons by Dapol, baseboards by Tim Horn, bridges by Allan and Simon is the designer, chief bottle washer and shareholder.  

I will look into flights to England  timed to Warley to see HLJ.  I've no idea what my work schedule for next year looks like yet, but this is a seriously impressive bit of modeling.  I don't "do" 0 gauge- I have the Lego which is about the same size, and my wife will eventually kill me if I get too many scales, but I can appreciate the modeling.

James

• Like 5

30 minutes ago, peach james said:

Simon,

1:  Wonderful to see credit given to Allan- I am sure he'd be right in it with you if he was still with us.

2:  Nice to see a Dent (S&C) mug :)

-in honesty, you are cracking along at a super rate, and doing so in a way which is a total credit to the people who have done work for you, and that you are acknowledging.  Heaton Lodge will be your layout, of that there is no doubt, but you are free and honest about who has worked on it for you.  I have a huge amount of respect for you over that- track by Peco, Locos by Heljan, Wagons by Dapol, baseboards by Tim Horn, bridges by Allan and Simon is the designer, chief bottle washer and shareholder.  

I will look into flights to England  timed to Warley to see HLJ.  I've no idea what my work schedule for next year looks like yet, but this is a seriously impressive bit of modeling.  I don't "do" 0 gauge- I have the Lego which is about the same size, and my wife will eventually kill me if I get too many scales, but I can appreciate the modeling.

James

Thank you James.

Im going to cover Allan’s bridge stonework with DAS clay and scribe it to create Yorkshire stone. He will be shaking his fist from above no doubt (sorry Allan). :) 

To pacify him 9F ‘Evening Star’ which will be doing half the steam charters will be carrying the name plate ‘ The Downesman’ - he’d have liked that. 

And as for Dent I’m heading up there for a few days tomorrow. 
When I create another monster in a few years it will probably be either Dent Station (early 1960’s) to Blea Moor tunnel (north entrance) or Blea Moor Tunnel (south entrance) to Ribblehead Station. 
Like many I love it up there 

Edited by HeatonLodge40
  • Like 9
  • Friendly/supportive 2

On 28/11/2019 at 15:56, HeatonLodge40 said:

Thanks for those photos. Brilliant! Looks like Evening Star is at Huddersfield there.

As I mentioned Evening Star will be doing the westbound charters (a 55H model with synchronised sound/ smoke) & a Hattons A4 (Mallard) the eastbound. There will be one steam charter in each direction every hour. 
Not exactly accurate but hey ho

I know this is the scenery section on the RMweb Simon but as you are starting to see the end in sight and mentioning the rolling stock then is there any sneaky insights into the stock that will be running?

Is it too early for that or is it largely to remain under wraps?

We've had a little glimpse of the MGRs and Cargowaggons and you've mentioned the double headed 56s on tanks?

I am intrigued to know just how many vans will be on the Heaton - Red Bank?!

As per comments before the scale and detail of this is immensely impressive and the dedication even more so. It really is coming together now with the dive under taking shape.

Rich.

39 minutes ago, Growling said:

I know this is the scenery section on the RMweb Simon but as you are starting to see the end in sight and mentioning the rolling stock then is there any sneaky insights into the stock that will be running?

Is it too early for that or is it largely to remain under wraps?

We've had a little glimpse of the MGRs and Cargowaggons and you've mentioned the double headed 56s on tanks?

I am intrigued to know just how many vans will be on the Heaton - Red Bank?!

As per comments before the scale and detail of this is immensely impressive and the dedication even more so. It really is coming together now with the dive under taking shape.

Rich.

It’s a good question..
Well I won’t be short of locomotives that’s for sure (more on that at a later date) but stock wise I’m going to have to call on some fellow modellers to help out.

The following is the trains I have/will have running myself..

Heaton/Red Bank parcels will run west every hour and usually consist of 2 x 40’s and 20 full brakes, CCT’s & MK1 brakes. 
There will be two heavy oil trains - the first consisting of 30 Shell logo’d TTA’s & 2 TEA 100T bogie tankers hauled by 2 37’s.

The other Oil train will be 25 TTA’s & 3 TEA’s in dirty black hauled by 1 x 56. (Skytrex/PRMRP/JLTRT) built by moi

Two full length (36) MGR’s again both 56 hauled (Dapol/skytrex)

31 & a fairly long mixed freight 

40 & another mixed freight

2 x 25’s with 15 Cargowaggens (Heljan)

32 x HUA hoppers (Accurascale) with another 37

An 08 hauled ballast/engineering train 

25 x OAA’s freight with a 47 (Heljan)

Passenger trains will be 4 (2 in each direction every 30 mins) Liverpool/Newcastle and return with 47/45 at the front & 9 MK1’s & MK2’s.

plus 2 local 3 car DMU’s (101’s) sadly no 110’s.

1 x 37 hauled basher special via the Calder Valley to Bangor (12 on)

2 steam specials 1 per hour in each direction with the 9F & A4 Mallard (both 12 on inc service coach) 
Finescale Brass/Heljan/Hattons

And a couple of double headed light engines with a brake van. 

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

The Heaton-Redbank "returns" were nearly always made up of a 25 piloting a 40 leading an absurdly long rake of weird and historic vans.

Such an iconic train that, and I never saw (don't remember) double headed 40s ever being on that train.

The Newcastle-Liverpool's were diagrammed for loco+BG+FK+TSO+TSO+TSO+TSO+TSO when heading towards Liverpool - and were nearly always made up as such.

Kev.

• Informative/Useful 1

9 minutes ago, SHMD said:

The Heaton-Redbank "returns" were nearly always made up of a 25 piloting a 40 leading an absurdly long rake of weird and historic vans.

Such an iconic train that, and I never saw (don't remember) double headed 40s ever being on that train.

The Newcastle-Liverpool's were diagrammed for loco+BG+FK+TSO+TSO+TSO+TSO+TSO when heading towards Liverpool - and were nearly always made up as such.

Kev.

Good info thanks. 
I saw it a couple times with two 40’s but it ran with all sorts of motive power. 25 & a 40 very interesting combo that would look great 

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
46 minutes ago, HeatonLodge40 said:

Good info thanks. 
I saw it a couple times with two 40’s but it ran with all sorts of motive power. 25 & a 40 very interesting combo that would look great 

The vans were a right old mixture that seemed to be the same right to the end. They used to come the other way as 3 separate  trains. When I used to see them at Morley (while having a cuppa with the signalman whilst on nights) they were all hauled by Peaks. That would have been about 1980 ish. 

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

Fabulous to see it all Simon.  Are you going to have a smell generator near tgd bridges to add that last bit of authenticity with it's proximity to the sewerage works.

Jamie

I could hide some cow sh*t under the trestles? 

• Agree 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
39 minutes ago, HeatonLodge40 said:

I could hide some cow sh*t under the trestles? 

Years ago, George Douglas and others hid a kipper under the baseboards of their N gauge model of Mallaig. Very effective by the end of a three-day exhibition.

• Funny 5